MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-03-2001, 11:20 AM   #1
VNAMUS in VA
Registered Member

Post Huge dilemma! Need advice!

Okay, so I've been planning to buy a 2001 Performance Red 5-speed GT coupe for over a year. I'm finally ready-done all my research and have my down payment. I've been searching for two weeks for this car. I've called every dealership in Northern VA to run a locater on it. The only one they've found that matches my options is in MD...and it's a demo w/ 4,500 miles-no thanks. They've searched all up and down the east coast and as far west as the Mississippi-no Perf. Red 5-speed GT. I'm unwilling to comprimising interior/exterior colors. I know Ford is going to stop building 2001s very soon and that color goes fast. I've been given the option of ordering a 2002, but nobody can tell me if they're changing at all. I don't really want to wait that long. For the past 5yrs I've been driving an '86 Camaro 2.8 liter from a junkyard w/ 160k miles on it...so you see why I don't want to wait any longer!
Now, here's my dilemma. There's a '98 Cobra at the dealership my fiancee works at. It's black w/ black int., 5 speed, niiiice! Big plus? It's got only 4k on it-guy drove it from Kansas and back a couple times. I can walk up there and buy it tonight. Although I'd definetly prefer a brand new GT, I think I would be more than happy with this Cobra. Oh, one other little detail - this is my first 5 speed. I know how to drive one, but I don't practice enuf to be confident in one. I was concerned the Cobra would be too much power for me.
What would you do?
VNAMUS in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 11:28 AM   #2
Stefan
Registered Member

Wink

If it was me i'd go for the Cobra hands down. There's just something about them that has always appealed to me. The thrill of a new car can be very strong but there aren't too many Cobras around and you'd have something unique. The 98 Cobras were strong runners and if it's in good shape i'd say go for it. They are powerful but I wouldn't worry about it being too much to handle even if you are learning how to drive a stick.

------------------
66 Tahoe Turquoise Coupe
Laser Red 96GT Ragtop
30 Years & 30 inches apart in the driveway!
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 10:42 PM   #3
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Thumbs up

COBRACOBRACOBRACOBRACOBRACOBRACOBRACOBRACOBRACOBRA COBRACOBRACOBRACOBRACOBRACOBRACOBRACOBRACOBRACOBRA COBRACOBRACOBRACOBRACOBRACOBRACOBRA........need I say more?????? YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!!! That's what I would do!!!(my 1cents worth!) let us know what you decide!
Topless

------------------
1994 GT.Convertible/Performance Red. Cold Air Ind.,K&N,H.P. Pulleys,OffRoad H-Pipe,Flows,3.55,Light bar,Custom HeadRests.Lotta Chrome
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 10:53 PM   #4
69fastback
IRAQ VET

cobra that is an easy choice. There is just something about them cobras.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 10:56 PM   #5
SANDSGT
Registered Member

I'd say go for the Cobra but first think of what body style you prefer. I personally don't care for the '94-'98 bodies - hence my reason for hanging on to my '93 until the new body '99 appeared.

A buddy of mine has a '98 Cobra (sounds exactly like the one you described) and he loves it!

You'll be fine with the 5-speed - like learning to ride a bike. Moving from that old Camaro will be an adjustment for you but you'll be able to handle the power.

Good Luck. Keep us posted on what you decide.

------------------
35th Anniversary
Limited Edition
Black on Black
5-speed
SANDSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 11:04 PM   #6
CobraFire98
Registered Member

Exclamation

WOW!!!!! This is me back in 1999. I had the opportunity to get a 1998 white Cobra or a newly designed GT. I thought about it for a long while. Not too long because the Cobra had many other lookers. My mom was in serious co-hoots with the owners. I got the Cobra and let me tell ya...nothing beats the 4v engine and it still has room for a lot more horses. I have a girlfriend now with a 99 and sometimes I wished I would have gotten that body style BUT I am so in love with the performance of my Cobra. GET THE COBRA. Black and black is awesome. The only thing I can say is that the clutch will take some getting used to since you've never really had a five speed before. Hope you make the right decision!!!!

------------------
Tony
1998 Cobra
CobraFire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 11:55 PM   #7
stanger8172
Registered Member

Wink

I would get the Cobra because it would be more fun to drive!!! My girlfriend says the same thing, by the way. With only 4k miles it's still a baby. I can understand your desire for a brand new Mustang but that Cobra would be sweeet! Why don't you have it checked out by a techician?
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote