MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-19-2001, 12:10 AM   #1
zepherman
Registered Member

Angry AAAAAGGGGGGG, Stupid AOD

Well, finally bought my GT about a month ago. Guess what.......the stupid AOD is already going out. This bites!! I has hoping to have a little more time to save before the time-bomb blew. Well a friend has a T5 that he will sell me for 700 and that includes pedals, tranny, shifter (triax i think), bellhouseing, flywheel and a pressure plate or something. Is that all i will need to convert to 5 speed? Any tips, warnigs and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm building a 347 that will eventually be put in front of this tranny, but right now all I have in it is a 302.

------------------
90 GT, Red with white racing stripes. Factory sun roof and armrest delete. Flowmaster exhaust, and a K&N filter.
zepherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 11:50 AM   #2
88COBRA
STANGPOWER.COM

There is much more involved.

Black306 has a great site, http://members.aol.com/black306

I was going to swap, but too much work, I will save for a Lentech

Ian

------------------
Ian Sim
webmaster@stangpower.com
1988 Mustang GT "Canadian Cobra", stock, AOD, loaded
Visit my site:
http://www.stangpower.com

88COBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 03:35 PM   #3
Capri306

Same here...well, almost. Not getting a Lentech, but mine will be built to withstand some serious horse. I'll be using the Lentech street terminator valve body, PI converter, and some other custom stuff I do to 'em to make 'em live longer. The one in my notchback has held up to street racing every night since I rebuilt it back in May, so I'm pretty confident. The biggest things people overlook is the TV cable grommet & adjustment, and a huge-azz tranny cooler to make it live. Those are the two major things to make an AOD last, which when properly built will probably take more abuse than a T5 ever will. There are arguments either way, but I've had my AOD go through more in the past few months than most people's T5's ever see before they blow a synchronizer. Just my .02

Rebuild it yourself and save some $$$. Get on ly the best of components, and you won't regret it. Good luck.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!"
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 07:46 PM   #4
rbatson

I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but... GET A C-4. When you put that 347 in, will you really be putting alot of hwy miles on it(I don't)? You are looking for performance and a t-5 just isn't gonna last too long. An AOD will last but will cost you over $2k to get any good reliable power out of it. You will lose od with the c4 but it will hold up and cost you less than half what it will cost you to build the AOD like you want. I'm just saying this because I've gone the AOD route and it has cost me dearly, I don't hardly ever use od and gas mileage sucks anyhow. I bet I get around 10mpg, probably less. A tremec sounds good too, but an auto is more consistant.