MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-12-2002, 08:21 PM   #1
Dancerway2hyper
Registered Member

Smile New & Needs Help!

Hey everyone!

I'm new here and I need a little bit of help.

I posted earlier in a different message board (Female Power) and someone told me that I needed to come here, so - here I am!

First of all I guess I should explain what's goin' on.
I'm 16 years old, I'll be 17 in March and I'm about to get my first Stang. Boy, am I excited! My mom made me wait until now before I could have a Mustang - or any new car for that matter - and I totally agree with her (but we'll keep that between us, she doesn't need to know that I think she was actually right about something). So anyway, I'm looking into buying a 1999 GT. My mom is paying half so that will leave me with enough to do some mods.

I don't really know what I can do to a Mustang.

Could anyone help me?

Thanks!

Steph
Dancerway2hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:39 PM   #2
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Steph-

Welcome to the board! A 16 year old girl Stanger! That RULES! You gotta be the youngest female member on the board! There's a few young guys around here (like myself, 17) that will surely be quick to respond to this thread. Anyways...

Congrats about the car and your upcoming birthday. You're going to have a pretty sweet car!

You can do pretty much anything to a Mustang. But first off, I'd get gears for your car. If it's a manual--3.73s, or auto--4.10s. Those seem to be the most popular choices.
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 09:55 PM   #3
Green9550
Resident Redneck

First off, welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy it here.

I would get gears like 6T9PONY said, then I would get a K&N air filter and then get headers, X pipe, and cat back exhaust. Then maybe pullies and a chip. Your car will be a lot faster with these mods and will deffinately make you happy. Hope this helps.

-Billy
95' GT: 306, XL Ross Pistons, Ultra Lite H-beam Rods, Forged Scat Crank, 28oz Romac, 28oz JW flexplate, FTI ported RPM II intake, FTI ported AFR 165's, FTI custom cam, 75mm BBK Throttle body, 80mm Pro-M, 4800 PI stall, PA Super Comp AODE, Strange 33 spline race axles, Strange ultra lite spool, Motive lite 4.30's, Strange rear race brakes, Mega bite seniors, double adjustable uppers w/spherical bushings, Racecraft anti-roll bar, LPW rear end girdle, Metco d/s loop, A9L conversion, AFM PMS
Green9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 10:04 PM   #4
Dancerway2hyper
Registered Member

Wink

Thanks guys! I appreciate ya'lls ideas.

And where are these young guys you were talkin about 6T9PONY? I'd love to meet them!! I guess I'll just have to give it time, this is only my first day.

Anyway... I was thinking about neons, that wouldn't be too much extra weight on the car would it? 'Cause my whole purpose is to have a FAST car so I can finally show all these pansies around here who's boss Well... write back!

Steph
Old 02-12-2002, 10:20 PM   #5
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Quote:
And where are these young guys you were talkin about 6T9PONY?
Who cares!?!? I'm here! tireburner163, 1969Mach1, 302blownpony, uhhh....those are the 3 right off the top of my head that are pretty frequent to the board, besides myself, of course.

Neons wouldn't be that much excess weight, but of course they won't give you any performance either. Why do you want neons? I don't think neon undercarriage lights accent Mustangs too nicely, or any other car for that matter.

-Benjamin
Old 02-12-2002, 10:27 PM   #6
Dancerway2hyper
Registered Member

Well dagum... sounds like I need to get some details about ya! J/k

Well... a few wouldn't hurt! Where are you from?

And I want neons just 'cause I like them... I saw some really cool black light ones... i think they would look rockin' on a black GT... too bad the one I found is silver...
Old 02-12-2002, 10:40 PM   #7
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

I have brown hair, baby blue eyes, I'm a body builder and enjoy long walks on the beach. Just joking! I'm from Nebraska and I'm a HICK! Haha...not really. I live in Sidney, souther part of the panhandle. Ever heard of it? I bet you've heard of Cabela's. Outdoor stuff...hunting, fishing stuff?
Old 02-12-2002, 11:01 PM   #8
Tony Frank
Registered Member

hey there welcome to the board, i agree on the gears also. where were my parents when i bough my stang???? that is awesome that you parents are helping you on a stang.... anyway hey now 6t9pony you forgot to mention that im on here too....jk i dont post a whole lot but im 20....from michigan, little far from you two....but oh well good luck on the stang

1985 Mustang GT 19,000 ORIGINAL miles, E-303 cam, edelbrock performer RPM intake, holley 600 cfm carb, MAC headers, windage tray, 8.8 rear end with 4.10 gears, 4"cowl hood, 5lug conversion, 04 Mach1 wheels.

http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?1501
Tony Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 11:07 PM   #9
Dancerway2hyper
Registered Member

Wink

Thanks for all the ideas guys! I really appreciate them! Are there really not a lot of young female stangers on the boards? If not that makes it all the better for me!!! J/k

Ya'll write me back!

Steph
Old 02-12-2002, 11:32 PM   #10
Godslayer
Registered Member

Default ....

No.. well teenage girls and musclecars just don't go together like mac and cheese So there aren't many... but in any case, welcome. This is by far the best Mustang MB on the internet.

About your question... perhaps you should get used to driving your 99 GT before you mod it. They are already pretty fast. Or if you must, I would do suspension mods before power mods. Just my opinion I could be wrong. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:45 PM   #11
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

welcome to the family. Yes, i said family, so 6T9PONY, depending on the extent of your hick-ness you'll have to stay away from her j/k

dang, I feel old being 20, sucks not being a punk teenager anymore. now im just a punk that still can't buy beer

i've been a member since i was 18 and i've learned more here than I ever thought I would. My advice to you is to read as many posts in the tech forums as possible to try to learn as much as you can, and if you have a question about whats goin on, just jump in and ask.

as for the car question, i sure wish my mom would have offered to buy me a 3 year old GT when i turned 17. I definately agree with Godslayer on learning to drive the car really well before you mod it, just be careful with it at first, THEN let it all out!

good luck, and once again welcome to the board
Old 02-12-2002, 11:54 PM   #12
Dancerway2hyper
Registered Member

You guys are all so nice!! I wish I had every one of you within miles of me, we could hang out swapping Stang stories... lol I think I have had WAYYYY to much caffiene for the day.

I've been looking through some of the boards, and I've been into cars since I was a kid... so what I do know helps me understand what I don't. If that makes any sense

I'm still wondering where all the hotties are?? That's the only thing I hate about being 16... I'm car and boy crazy, and I haven't yet figured out which one I have worst!

Well you guys keep writin'

Steph!
Old 02-13-2002, 12:34 AM   #13
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Be sure to stop by Modular Madness when you get your 99 GT.

We'll get that thing spankin' Camaros before you know it...

16 eh? God do I feel old....
I remember Gerald Ford being in office...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 12:41 AM   #14
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Talking

I agree with learning how to drive the car before you mod it. If you get a 99GT, you'll be behind the wheel of a car that can show taillights to some of the most powerful cars on the road just a few years ago.

I've seen a few too many crash stories from new drivers lately, so be careful. Treat the GT right, and it'll treat you right. Sorry, I'm a little too old for you, 24.

Have fun.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 12:48 AM   #15
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Hey, what's up, welcome the the board. Your 16, cool I'm 17

I'd get used to you GT first. A inexperianced driver, plus the tendincy of any power RWD car to fishtail can make for a dangerous combination(trust me, me my first time driving bro's blown GT, I was trying show my *** and almost totaled my bro's car and killed me.). So be carefull

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 01:09 AM   #16
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

WELCOME TO THE BOARD

Quote:
Who cares!?!? I'm here! tireburner163, 1969Mach1, 302blownpony, uhhh....those are the 3 right off the top of my head that are pretty frequent to the board, besides myself, of course.
And you forgot 1BAD89(me)........ Oh Well.........
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 01:15 AM   #17
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Yea you forgot me too im 17 but i responded to your post in street racers corner lol.

Later
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 07:09 PM   #18
Dancerway2hyper
Registered Member

Wink

Gee guys, you make this sound like I'm looking for a date more than I'm looking for help!! I'm just playin, and who says 24 is too old?! :P
Old 02-15-2002, 05:04 PM   #19
VNAMUS in VA
Registered Member

Hey! I like mac and cheese......I like musclecars......but I guess I'm not a teenager (22)......I am a girl tho

Steph, tireburner163 is right. Definetly enjoy your stock GT for a while before you start making it faster-especially since you're a brand new driver. Plus, nobody ever said a stock GT was slow! Don't jump into modifications! They've got enough stock power to get away from you if you're not careful. Fishtailing/hydroplaning is so not fun! Plus...once you start modding a car, you've upset the "harmony" of it....in other words, sometimes things start breaking
Old 02-15-2002, 07:33 PM   #20
Tony Frank
Registered Member

Hey VNAMUS now your more my age............ lol we could start a dating forum on here lol j/k

1985 Mustang GT 19,000 ORIGINAL miles, E-303 cam, edelbrock performer RPM intake, holley 600 cfm carb, MAC headers, windage tray, 8.8 rear end with 4.10 gears, 4"cowl hood, 5lug conversion, 04 Mach1 wheels.

http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?1501
Tony Frank is offline   Reply With Quote