MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-17-2002, 02:11 PM   #1
Coupe Devil

Default Fuel For NASCAR

Does anyone know what kinda fuel they run in NASCAR? I'm watchin the 500 pondering life's little mysteries like this. Also what kinda clutch set-ups are these guys runnin. Dual disc, slipper what? Any body know?

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 03:15 PM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile NASCAR mysteries revealed

All teams use Unical '76' (long a NASCAR sponsor) leaded racing (110 octane) gas.

Some Late-Model Series racers use unleaded 100 octane gas, also from Unical.

NASCAR Winston Cup cars run multi-disk setups that are as small as they can possibly get. Complicated and different for each car and track.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 08:23 PM   #3
PKRWUD

That would be correct. My career highlight was without a doubt when I worked for Bill Elliott in 1998. Although it was brief, i tried my hardest to learn as much as I could. The one thing I came away from it all knowing for certain was that it would take a lifetime for one man to learn half of it. That's why the teams hire so many people!

The fuel is now, and has always been Unical (Union) 76 leaded 110 octane. Just like in the real world, NASCAR engine builders have had to deal with changes in what is allowed, and have had to do the best they could with the changes. Maximum allowable compression, for example, was 14:1 when I was in NASCAR in 1998, but the next year the max was reduced to 12:1 to help reduce horsepower. That didn't work well enough, so in 2000, they reduced it again to 11:1. This is for the Winston Cup cars. The Busch cars are currently limited to only 9:1 compression! The cars all have 22 gallon tanks, and the fuel jugs you see the pit crew use to "gas-up" the cars on pit row hold 11 gallons each. A team is only permitted two jugs per race, and has to run back to the pit area "gas station" to refill them inbetween pit stops. If something were to happen to one of them, the team would be SOL! The WC cars all use Holley 4150 carbs, ranging in size between 780 and 850 cfm, depending on the race.

BTW, a NASCAR fact that is seldom shared by the GM boys, is that every WC car uses a Detroit Locker Ford 9" rear end. Even the Monte Carlo's!

I'm afraid I can't elaborate much more than Jim did about the clutches, because they weren't part of my job. What I can tell you is they are all triple-disk, and are about 2/3rds the size of a regular clutch.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!

Last edited by PKRWUD; 02-17-2002 at 08:34 PM..
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 06:19 PM   #4
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Question

PKRWUD, do you know where guys like us could purchase a used intake or heads from a NASCAR team. I heard a team like Team Roush only uses the best and they are not going to risk losing a race with last year's technology. I'd love to put a 750 hp 358 cu in. Ford WC motor between my Mustang's fenders.
Nitrous Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 07:13 PM   #5
82 GT
Import Slayer

Nitrous AL, I did see on TV once that people can buy used Winston cup parts but for the life of me don't remember where or how you go inquire about them. I do know though that it can be done! If memory serves me correct, the prices were not cheap!
Now where did I see that....that's going to bug me now......
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 11:11 PM   #6
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by Nitrous Al
PKRWUD, do you know where guys like us could purchase a used intake or heads from a NASCAR team. I heard a team like Team Roush only uses the best and they are not going to risk losing a race with last year's technology. I'd love to put a 750 hp 358 cu in. Ford WC motor between my Mustang's fenders.
Here you go.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 11:54 AM   #7
mustangdani55
Registered Member

That is what we use in our Late Model series..
and once in a while add some to the lawnmower...haha
Old 02-19-2002, 01:06 PM   #8
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb NASCAR parts

Nitrous Al:

Try this link for Muscle Motor Sports in Huntsville, N.C.

http://www.musclemotorparts.com/

Here's a comment from their website:

"We buy our parts direct from the top Winston Cup and Busch teams, many of which are exclusive to Muscle. We inspect , refurbish or rebuild all parts that come through our doors, we do this because we guarantee everything we sell. Many parts are "trick" and cutting edge as far as performance, design and durability are concerned.

Sounds like what you're looking for, or close to it.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote