MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-04-2002, 03:59 PM   #1
mean81GT
Registered Member

Default automotive career

I currently work for a telecommunications company. At first i was excited to do my job, and have moved up in the company over the last few years. I make respectable money, but lately i have been very bored. My job used to be very exciting, and i used to love waking up in the morning to go to work.

What i am getting at is this. I am considering going back to school and making a career change. I love cars, everything about them. I want to get into some kind of automotive career.

My question for all of you is what kind of automotive career do you have, and what are the ups and downs of it? Any people that don't have automotive jobs but have ideas, i would love to hear your input.
Old 04-04-2002, 04:42 PM   #2
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Well, needless to say, you'd need your ASE cert. Preferably a Master Technician before you'll make a lot of cash. I'm no expert, but I did look into it sometime ago. If you decide to do it, let me know. I think I can get ahold of some good study software for free. Also I'd suggest you send PKRWUD a PM and talk to him about it, as he's an ASE certified mechanic with his own business. I'm sure he could answer many of your questions.
Dave

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 05:34 PM   #3
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

well im a diesel mechanic, or used to be now i'm a foreman , but it's an ok job but you spend a lot of money on tools, then it's alway's changing get ready to bust your knuckles a lot & bleed some then , you alway's run into that one job that makes you want to throw wrenche's across the shop, but its ok i guess, just walk away & come back to it but it's your choice, i would rather go somewhere else and work in a speed shop where i could figure out this computer crap, etc & make my gt faster, i am used to older car's, just think about before you jump, good luck on your choice.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 05:58 PM   #4
91PA5liter
Registered Member

Default Speed Shop

One of my dream jobs is to own and run my own speed shop. I would love to get into the automotive industury. I'm sorta in the same postion that you are in. I'm a senior in high school and dont know what i want to do or where i want to go next year. I really want to get to know more about cars but not sure where i should go for that or what i would need to know. Sorry not much help just leting you know your not the only one who doesnt know what the hell there doin.
later
ryan
91PA5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 06:33 PM   #5
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

I am in the same position. Senior in High Scholl dont know what i am gonna do. Someone from Wyotech came to my auto shop class last on mnday and that place looks really good. 9 months and they teach you basic automotive knowledge and you can take like streed rodding or high performance engine etc. It looks really good but i dont know if i want to go.

I know i am going to community college then i have planned to transfer to some university. Only problem is i have no idea what i would major in

Later
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 06:34 PM   #6
srv1
Get down.....

well to answer your question Mean, i went to college for auto mechanics. i got my 2 year A.A.S. degree. i got my ASE's but i never went back to renew them. it seems to me that small business look at experience rather than your educational backround as say to a dealership that looks at them all or a huge auto repair shop. me, i work for a small business. me and three other guys and that includes the owner. remember, benefits, vacation and sick leave can be offered most likely from bigger auto repair shops than smaller ones. they usually have more revenue that the little guys. that bad thing about working at a dealership is that 90% of the time, you work on just certain manufactorors, rather than all. me, i work on all cars. from Audi to Volvo, i work on all of them. i have a broader knowledge of cars as compared to a guy that works at a Ford dealership. he may work on just Fords rather than all makes. the advantage i have is i get to know the quirks on many different makes, rather than just one or two. if you dont mind getting dirty all day and like to cram your hands in tight spots, then go for a school that offers a program. good luck on your decision.
Old 04-05-2002, 06:20 PM   #7
89LXFLEA
Registered Member

FORD HAS A PROGRAM CALLED
A.S.S.E.T. YOU GO TO SCHOOL
AND WORK. MOST COMMUNITY
COLLEGES HAVE THE PROGRAM
CHECK WITH YOUR DEALER TO
SEE IF THEY HAVE ANY SPOTS
OPEN FOR ASSET STUDENTS.
THAT IS IF YOU WANT TO WORK
ON FORDS. THE GUYS IN OUR
SHOP DO SERVICE ALL OF OUR
USED CARS NO MATTER WHAT
BRAND .

FLEA
89LX 302 C4 4:10GEAR X CAM,GT40
IRON HEADS,PERFORMER RPM 650
HOLLEY NO STALL YET, GRIFFEN RADIATOR,MAC EQUAL LENGTH SHORTIES,H-PIPE,PRO DUMPS NOW
IT IS A LITTLE FASTER AT 12.94@106.38
RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER # 47
89LXFLEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 10:12 PM   #8
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

I thought about getting my ASE Cert, and doing it as a second job. U know, about four hour a day or so. Just to have fun.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 09:06 PM   #9
mean81GT
Registered Member

working on cars is all well and good, but don't you guys get tired of working on your own stuff after you have fixed everyone else's junk all week? i was thinking more along the lines of R&D.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:33 AM   #10
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 89LXFLEA
FORD HAS A PROGRAM CALLED
A.S.S.E.T. YOU GO TO SCHOOL
AND WORK. MOST COMMUNITY
COLLEGES HAVE THE PROGRAM
CHECK WITH YOUR DEALER TO
SEE IF THEY HAVE ANY SPOTS
OPEN FOR ASSET STUDENTS.
THAT IS IF YOU WANT TO WORK
ON FORDS. THE GUYS IN OUR
SHOP DO SERVICE ALL OF OUR
USED CARS NO MATTER WHAT
BRAND .
Yeah the college i go to has the Ford ASSET program. You pretty much get sponsered by a Ford dealership and go on co-op. So you get paid to go to school, cool hu? Usually the program is offered every other year, and right now its in its odd year here. So needless to say i have to wait till fall 2003 to start, but it gives me time to get my core classes out of the way.

NewEngland Auto www.baystategearheads.com
-91 Mustang Coupe, ex 4cyl (sold)
-99 F150, 3" lift, 35" Procomps, Magnaflow exhaust
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 08:56 AM   #11
czstang1701
Registered Member

I am somewhat in a delima just like MidNitBlu.. I am a senior in high school.. and ive had so much different options for a career, im still not sure what i want to do and i graduate in a few months. Thats why i am going to a junior college.. I want to become a Computer Engineer, but i dont know if i can stay in school that long ;-) UTI, a autootive tech trade school in Arizona was a good option for me, friend of mine is doing it after a year in junior college.. im still keeping my foot in the door about joining him. You could easily be happy and make good money with that..I mean for me anyways, computers and cars! I couldn't go wrong I guess!

Brand new! w00 h00! :-D
czstang1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 09:25 AM   #12
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Cool :)

I wish I'd taken Auto Shop in High School, instead of Cosmetology!!!! I love my job and will never quit, but I'd rather work on cars now then cut peoples hair!!!!! That would be soooo coool!!!! oh well, what is that they say about hindsight??? TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote