MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-05-2002, 12:07 AM   #1
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Default Having a hard time

Saturday morning my wife who is 7 months pregnant went in to see the doc because she was having some pain. They said she was in pre-term labor and admitted her to the hospital. Then they put her in an ambulance and sent her to another hospital about 40 miles away in San Diego. She was having contractions and they were trying to stop the labor by giving her Magnesium through an I. V. That's when things got worse.
From the Magnesium, she developed an irregular heart rate. Aside from being irregular, it was also a very fast heart rate. It would jump from 130 to 180 in a second. This is bad for her and the baby. The baby only weighs about 3 pounds right now and to have her deliver would mean that the baby would be hospitalized for quite a while and many complications could occur.
They tried multiple medications to try and fix her heartbeat, but nothing was working. The only option they had left that was safe for the unborn baby was to shock my wife's heart with electricity to try and get it to zap back to it's normal self. They told us about all the things that could go wrong and they were prepared to do an emergency C-section if it was necessary. They took her to the Operating Room for the shock procedure and the thirty two minutes she was in there was the longest thirty two minutes of my entire life.
Thankfully her heart came back to it's normal self on the first try and is still functioning properly as of now. She will be in the hospital until she delivers the baby which could be as long as five more weeks. The docs say that if she hasn't delivered by then they will probably induce labor.
This is still very difficult because we have three more children at home and they don't understand what's going on. At the same time, I'm making that 40 mile trip in SD traffic about four times a day, and sleeping very little at night. We have a friend that's helping out with the kids so I can be with my wife more often, but it's draining us all down real fast. I'm in the military so it's not like our families are close by to come visit. My family is on the east coast, and most of hers is in Indiana. Her mother lives in AZ, so she was able to come and she and I are staying with Robin (my wife) at the hospital. Now they are saying that my wife's blood tests are showing that she's anemic (sp?), and the cause of that may be from internal bleeding. I hope and pray that's not the cause of it.
We would appreciate any thoughts and prayers you could give to my wife, our kids, our unborn and myself. I'll be checking this thread when I come home to pick up the kids to take them to see their mother. That way I can print out the kind words of the Mustangworkers, and show them to her to lift her spirits a little. I know I can count on you guys and gals, because I've seen you come to the aid of many people on this board many times. That's one of the reason's it's the best one on the internet.

Thanks for reading this, and I'll update the thread when I get a chance.

Dave
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 12:37 AM   #2
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

d&r.........i hope things turn out allright.........keep us updated but get some sleep first...
best wishes to your wife and child......you'll both be in my prayers

james
87 Mustang GT T-top >hanlon t-5, pro 5.0, centerforce clutch ,adj. cable/quatrant ,3.27s ,full 2 1/2 ex(off road H) adj. reg. ,e-cam ,70mm TB, cobra intake ,1.7rr ,ported/milled e7ets w/crane springs ,306 balaced/decked short block w/speed pro forged flat top pistons ...257rwhp/302rwt
best et 13.7@102 (4/11 )

'80 Capri (future project,currently collecting parts for 351 moter)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 12:42 AM   #3
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

First of all let me say that I'll be praying for you.

Did the doctors ever find the cause of her heart problems? Or why she is anemic?

I can't imagine what you must be going through. I hope you wife makes a full recovery a soon a possable.

Please keep us posted of her condition.

Josh

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 01:58 AM   #4
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

I'm sorry to hear of these complications! I hope it all turns ok! I'll be thinking of you guys...
Old 02-05-2002, 02:41 AM   #5
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

D&R Stang and family:

You are being forced to contend with a situation that is extremely frightening. I can only imagine what it would be like to face a struggle like the one you're standing up to. A medical complication like the one you have been so unfortunate to become the receptacle of must be scary. As a family, you all need to pull together to become a strong group; doing this will create a feeling deep inside all of you that will help each of you get through this event. I'm sure you all feel helpless--physically, there is not much at all you can do besides be by your wife's side whenever possible and let her know you all are there for her. The main aspect you will be able to help your wife in will be the mental and emotional part. You need to keep your wife's mindset positive and optimistic.

I wish you the best of luck in every way. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and yours.

Do you have a name for the unborn child yet?
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 02:52 AM   #6
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Oh my gosh!!!!!!! I am so sad after reading this

This is supposed to be such a blessed event, not a stressful, trying time for your lovely wife, family and yourself

I do hope with all my might that the situation improves!!!! I will be thinking about all of you, and wishing for the best possible outcome Please let her know that we are all pulling for her, and that things WILL get better

Belle
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 02:55 AM   #7
ed1371
Registered Member

Dave,

I am praying for you and your entire family. You have a very large extended family for support when you need it, dont forget that...we take care of our own.
Do me a favor, e-mail me where your wife is staying so some of us SNCO's can send her some flowers, it's the least we can do!
If you need help let me know.

-ed
ed1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 11:56 AM   #8
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

dave you & your family are in my & odie's prayer's ,keep us updated, i wish you & your's all the best, thank GOD they got her heart srtaightened out good luck, marty.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 12:04 PM   #9
mustangdani55
Registered Member

You and your family are in my prayers. I delivered a boy at 7 months.. he was fine. Of course he had to stay until he reached 4.5 lbs. Iknow its very hard, but hopefully evrything will turn out. All she has to do to fix the anemia, is take iron. I am anemic also, and she is probably tired all the time.. I am when I don't take my Iron pills.

I feel bad for the kids, you have to explain it to them, they will understand it if you sit them down and tell them what is goin on.
Kids are alot smarter than we give them credit for sometimes.

Good luck, and I'll add you guys to my prayer list along with
GT Lee
Old 02-05-2002, 12:31 PM   #10
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs up Prayers and hope

Dave:

I appreciate the trust in our membership that moved you to post this heartbreaking but important message. Thank you.

Of course we all wish you, your wife and unborn child the very best and more importantly, many of us - myself included - will be praying for all of you, including your other young children who need support, too, at this trying time.

I trust that things will continue to improve and this will be a successful and safe birth.

You know your friends on Mustang Works care very much what happens and we'll do everything we can to support and encourage you all the way.

Keep your spirits up and stay strong for your wife and kids.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:34 PM   #11
89LXFLEA
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your wifes
complications just be strong for
her and the other children. You
have our prayers and thoughts
keep us in formed of her condition.

Flea
89LX 302 C4 4:10GEAR X CAM,GT40
IRON HEADS,PERFORMER RPM 650
HOLLEY NO STALL YET, GRIFFEN RADIATOR,MAC EQUAL LENGTH SHORTIES,H-PIPE,PRO DUMPS NOW
IT IS A LITTLE FASTER AT 12.94@106.38
RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER # 47
89LXFLEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 12:53 PM   #12
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

God bless you and your family.

You've already got my prayers. I lifted you up as soon as I read the thread. I will continue to pray for you guys in the coming days. Take comfort in the fact that you've got a lot of people from all over the country praying for you, your wife, and your unborn child. I have faith that grace will cover you and your family and will see you through whatever happens.

Again, God bless and may the peace of Christ be with you. I sincerely hope everything turns out alright.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 04:15 PM   #13
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Default THANK YOU!!!

First of all I would like to thank you all for your kind words and prayers. They help so much. I just printed this thread and will bring it to her this afternoon when I return to the hospital.

The doctors still don't know for sure what the cause of her heart problem was. She had similar heart problems when she went fell down a flight of stairs in 1998 and went into pre term labor with our youngest son. The physicians were able to stop that labor, but she developed a cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart with irregular heartbeat) that lasted for a couple of years and it went away only six months ago. Thankfully that doesn't seem to be happening again as her heart is still doing well. The latest word about her anemia is that the doctors think it was possibly due to the shock treatment killing many of her red blood cells. The latest blood tests indicate that she is doing much better and at this rate, will be out of anemia danger soon.

As for the rest of the update, Robin seems to be doing much better. As I mentioned above, her heart is still doing well, along with her other vitals. We were having a scary time with her blood pressure as well for a while, but that has subsided also. They moved her out of the Labor and Delivery ward this morning and put her into a normal room in the fetal assessment unit. She only has one I.V. left in her for the peniscillin (sp?) that she gets every four hours to help prevent any infection. They also have taken her off of oxygen and removed her catheter (sp?) which made her MUCH more comfortable.

We don't know if she'll be able to come home until she has the baby or not. The doctors say it's possible, but if she does come home, she'll be on bedrest of course until she has the baby. The only big scare left is that if she starts having contractions again, then they will have to deliver the baby to prevent a repeat episode.

The baby's name will be Shelby Christine . I know what you're thinking, but I didn't name my daughter after the car. I saw a Shelby mustang at the motorsports shop the day before we were discussing names. I said Shelby kind of as a joke and my wife kinda laughed. Then after a day or so, we decided that it was a pretty name, and it just kinda stuck. So I guess initially the name was from the car, but it has since developed more meaning than that.

I think I covered everything. I'm still worn out from a lack of sleep due to travel, worry, and uncomfortable hospital rooms, but if that's all I have to complain about right now, then I'm happy!! She is doing so much better. Once again, thanks for your replys and please keep praying that my wife stays healthy and pregnant for a few more weeks. As I said before, I'll check back when I can.
Dave
Old 02-05-2002, 05:13 PM   #14
SuperchargedRex
Registered Member

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, I hope that everything turns out all right.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:22 PM   #15
gt lee

Dear Dave and Robin, I am praying for both of you , your familys, and that sweet little Shelby that is fixin to be in our world soon. Take care of each other and please get some rest for when she is born you'll have those wake ups during the night, God takes care of those who care and from reading your post you three are in great hands, keep up the faith, for he is watching over your whole family,
Old 02-05-2002, 11:50 PM   #16
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Smile Ya'll are in my thoughts and prayers!!!

Dave...
After reading this whole thread, I CANT TELL you how moving it was!!!! I wish nothing but the best for you , and Robin, Shelby Christine, and your other kids!!! The next weeks will be hard, and I can only imagine how hard it is w/out ya'lls family there...I KNOW that they would want to help!!!!
Please take care of yourself also!!!! I know you want to be with your wife, but you also need your rest, and for the kids too!!!!!! I'm sure they are taking WONDERFUL CARE OF HER!!!! PLEASE TRY TO GET A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP!!!!!
My prayers are w/ your wife for a speedy recovery, and healthy full term delivery, for your kids to understand, and for you for strength in this difficult time!!!!!!!
Take care, Christine aka:Topless

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 11:26 PM   #17
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Default UPDATE

Great News!!!! I just went to the hospital and picked my wife up and brought her home! I'm ecstatic!! When she first went to the hospital, nobody thought she'd be coming home for weeks, but here she is, and doing great. She almost got better overnight. Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts, they always seem to help more than you know.
Dave
Old 02-07-2002, 11:42 PM   #18
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Sorry I missed this thread. I'm glad to hear of her quick recovery, and I'm glad she is back home.

Best of luck to you and your wife with a safe and normal pregnancy moving forward. I'm sure your daughter will grow to love her name!

Kell
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 01:32 AM   #19
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking THATS GREAT NEWS!!!

Thats great news Dave!!!!! Glad to hear she is home and well!!!!! Ya'll take good care of each other and enjoy this time!!!! I wish you the best...
You know Christine Is really my middle name too, unfortunately I was not so lucky to have such a COOL FIRST NAME!!!!!! And I'll NEVER TELL WHAT IT IS!!!!!!
Welcome home Robin!!!!! Glad you feeling better. Take care of yourself and your baby! I know you will...and CONGRADULATIONS!!!! TAKE CARE!!!! Christine aka:Topless

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 12:22 PM   #20
gt lee

Great to hear the good news, take care of each other and the rest will come naturally, glad you are home Robin, and all is going well, remember keep the faith, it works. Odie