MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-15-2002, 04:26 PM   #1
Tod
Registered Member

Default idling and shifter problems

two things bothering me about the car. first is an idling hesitation every now and then when i first start it up. not everytime just sometimes. it'll be at idle and the rpm's will dip about .5K nearly stalling, then back up to normal then back down kinda like a slow heartbeat. and if i then drive before it stops the hesitating thing, everytime i push in the clutch before shifts the exhaust will pop and gurgle. this only lasts for about a minute or two after i start it up and after that, the car runds nice and smooth. i tried fuel injector cleaner, but it didn't stop it from happening. so i have no idea what could be the problem. any guesses?

the second thing is my shifter. i just got my transmission completely redone and fixed so i'm not worried about that. when i downshift into second gear while coasting to a stop i have trouble getting it to shift all the way into the gear. hard to explain but it takes a good hard yank to get it to click into second gear (2nd gear being the only gear it does this). i don't want to really pop it in there for fear of snapping something. is it just a shifter problem or something more serious?

thanks for any help
Old 07-15-2002, 04:39 PM   #2
polara7777
Registered Member

If this is a fuel injected stang which I'm assuming it is since you put injector cleaner in it. I would unbolt the TPS and clean it out. My buddies 5.0 Cougar does this and that normally helps. Just spray it down with carb cleaner. Also clean up the IAC some. Make sure the throttle body is somewhat clean while your at it.
-67 Dodge Polara (383 punched 30, Heavy head work, Mopar Performance single plane intake, Holley 750, electric fuel pump, Holley regulator, .484 duration cam, FRIED bottom end!) DOH!!! Fried the #1 rod bearing. Stroker kit coming!
-01 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Clear lenses, shaved fender, rear signals in the rear housing, baffles removed, Deals Gap dragon on the tail.)
polara7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 04:47 PM   #3
Tod
Registered Member

thanks i'll check it out
Old 07-15-2002, 06:56 PM   #4
mustanggt350
Registered Member

CAUTION!!!!!

Around mid '91-'92 Ford started using self cleaning throttle bodies and attachments. If you have a little yellow sticker on the top of the throttle body or the inside of the throttle body has a gold tint to it, DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER!!! It is to abrasive and will cause more problems. If you are going to clean, use simple green at full strength and then flush it with water when done. This is the safest way to clean the "self-cleaning" lining of these parts.

I'm glad I saw this post!!

Shelby

1991 Medium Red Mustang GT (Scarlet)
mustanggt350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 09:07 PM   #5
Tod
Registered Member

thanks for the warning Shelby, i'll keep that in mind.