MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-07-2002, 05:25 AM   #1
The Deuce
Registered Member

Thumbs up Deadman's curve

I might be dating myself here, but how many of you are familiar with that old Jan & Dean song? I actually have it on a car songs CD that's a fixture in my changer.

So tonight I got the bright idea to run from Sunset and Vine, all the way out to deadmans curve. For those of you who have never been to LA, yes it's real and yes, its deadly.

What I can't figure out from the song, is how the heck they raced out there. Sunset and Vine is almost North Hollywood. It took me 20 minutes to crawl the 7 miles over to Doheny, from which it's another 3 miles to deadmans. Truth is, they would have been racing for 10 miles, the last three or so are some of the best twisties I've seen in, well, ever.

If you're ever out that way, it is worth the trip down sunset. I remember the first time I went looking for deadman's and I knew it when I found it. Tonight I happened to be side by side with a Q45, and I could feel my tail coming out while I was watching him start to slide. I had the car flat out, and was just into third at the time, so figure somewhere between 60 and 70 in a nice sweeping 30 mph corner.

I almost didn't come back.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 05:46 AM   #2
PKRWUD

North Hollywood is no where near Sunset and Vine. North Hollywood is no where near Hollywood. NH is in the valley, and Hollywood is on the LA side of the mountains.

Anyway, where is deadmans curve? We used to race Mulholland, between Coldwater and Laurel canyon, and there is a curve in the middle of it, known as "Carls Curve", that has claimed many lives. That used to be fun. The fastest car, and I mean faster than the 911's and the 280Z's, was a '68 340 Barracuda, with rock hard springs in it. Of course, the driver was nuts, so that helped, I'm sure.

Good memories.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 06:14 AM   #3
The Deuce
Registered Member

Ok, so my LA geography is bad. Sunsent/Vine is about three blocks west of the KTLA tower.

Deadman's curve is the first of three long left handers (going twoards PCH from the 405). I forget the name of the light at the top, but its maybe 1/3 miles past Bundy drive. (made infamous by Mr. Simpson) Its deceptively fast, and it felt like it had a slightly decreasing radius at the bottom. That's probably what kills people, because its where I started to slide.

Next time I plan to run Mullholand. Where's the best place to start?

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 06:55 AM   #4
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by The Deuce
Ok, so my LA geography is bad. Sunsent/Vine is about three blocks west of the KTLA tower.
LOL! I lived in Van Nuys for 8 years, and I always thought it was pretty stupid having Hollywood and North Hollywood so far apart! If the valley had succeeded in breaking away from LA in this last election, they would be in two different jurisdictions!

Quote:

Deadman's curve is the first of three long left handers (going twoards PCH from the 405). I forget the name of the light at the top, but its maybe 1/3 miles past Bundy drive. (made infamous by Mr. Simpson) Its deceptively fast, and it felt like it had a slightly decreasing radius at the bottom. That's probably what kills people, because its where I started to slide.
Oh, okay, I see where you're talking about. You were still on Sunset. There was a killer chase scene filmed there for the movie Against All Odds.

Quote:

Next time I plan to run Mullholand. Where's the best place to start?
Mulhollond is a far cry from Sunset. It's only two lanes (one in each direction), and there are no street lights, at least not where they race.

From Hollywood, take Laurel canyon to Mulholland, and turn left. It twists and winds until you get to a straight spot that's maybe 1/4 mile long. It's the only place that's lit up, and there are houses on the left, and a scenic vista point thingy on the right, overlooking the valley. Keep going, and you will enter a sharp right hand turn. This is the finish line. Continue driving through the twists and turns, and you will come upon another straight section, headed right towards the valley. On the right, there will be a small parking lot that has a hill behind it. This is the starting line. From on top of that little hill, you can see most of the race section of Mulholland. The parking lot used to be much bigger, but in an effort to curb the racing, they made it tiny, and put the hill there so that you couldn't watch the races without getting out of your car.

I'll try to dig up a map for you if you want one.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote