MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-03-2002, 04:21 AM   #1
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Default Cell phones and cars

Why do ppl who are talking on their cells phones, in the car, always in a hurry, plus, they are driving stupid, cuttting in and out of traffic. I mean, come on, u only have one hand free, lets all drive faster with one hand, then we do with two.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 08:49 AM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Angry Doofus Drivers

Stupidity, mostly.

Today's cars are very easy to drive, most people are bored by driving anyway and everyone has a cellphone so yakking on the cell comes naturally to a lot of these people. Then there is the stress factor where everyone feels that they 'have' to be connected and 'doing something' all the time or their life is being wasted.

Unfortunately, the stuff these cell phone yakkers are talking about while driving is mostly useless or at least unnecessary and could wait 20 minutes. But then they wouldn't be 'doing' anything - except driving the car. Apparently that isn't important enough for these busy, important oh-so-connected folks.

As I said: stupidity - the kind that can kill when one of these cell phone yakkers veers into your lane or doesn't notice you pulling out.

That's why cellphone use in a car (while driving) has been banned in a few states or restricted to using a speaker (hands free) phone. Still a dumb idea.

The aggressive driving is nothing new. Everybody's in a big hurry and this is reflected in the weaving and tailgating that are also as dangerous as they are annoying. All this so some doofus can get home, sit on a couch and watch TV two minutes sooner or some soccer mom can be on time to pick up Junior from one of those endless soccer games.

Not a lot we can do about this stupidity but be defensive, expect the worst from the other guy on the road and don't do this stuff ourselves.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 11:35 AM   #3
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

/rant

93 LX
9.20 @ 147mph

03 Mach 1
12.39 @ 116mph
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 01:09 PM   #4
shadowblue89
Registered Member

Hey be carefull now I am one of those cell phone yakkers(due to my job).
I do use my little earbud though so I can use both hands. I agree with you though. Out here we have many varieties of cell phone yakkers.

1. Can't stay at the same speed. Always speeding up and slowing down IN THE FAST LANE.

2. Think the little white dots one the road are meant for the cell phone yakkers to make sure they stay in their own lane by riding on them.

3. Have no sense of balance. Since the cell phone is slipping oout of their hand they try to lift it back up by useing their other hand to jerk the steering wheel hard enough to lift the phone back up to their ear.

4. Can't see in front of themselves. Sitting at a light and it is such an important call everytime that it takes a lot of horns blowing just to get them to realize they have a GREEN light that is about to turn yellow because of that damn important phone call.

rant
rant
rant

The good part is when a cop sees this they WILL get pulled over and get a ticket. NO WARNING.

89 GT 5spd
shadowblue89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 05:22 PM   #5
Ponygirl67
Registered Member

No offense to those that do it...........but I think talking on your cell while driving should be banned everywhere.......period.......I mean how hard is it to pull of the road to talk or not answer the phone if you are in situation where you should be paying attention...whoever it was will call back if it is important...it just isn't worth it if you crash into someone....

Mare of the Month-April 2002
Ponygirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 08:30 PM   #6
srv1
Get down.....

Question STAY OFF THE PHONE!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ponygirl67
No offense to those that do it...........but I think talking on your cell while driving should be banned everywhere.......period.......I mean how hard is it to pull of the road to talk or not answer the phone if you are in situation where you should be paying attention...whoever it was will call back if it is important...it just isn't worth it if you crash into someone....
you said it! i agree with Ponygirl. it is illegal in NY to talk and drive on a cell phone. you can have a headset or an intercom, but no phone to your ear, that is illegal. STAY OFF THE PHONE!!

what did you people do all the years you didnt have cell phones?
Old 06-03-2002, 11:31 PM   #7
1fastchick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ponygirl67
AMEN. Michagan already has some of the worst drivers I have every seen they don't need to add to it by talking on their cell phones.

rant rant rant

www.cycleforums.com

1968 Fastback "Gidget"
1fastchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 07:14 AM   #8
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

I've said it before and I'll say it again "HANG UP THE PHONE AND DRIVE!!!"

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 10:29 AM   #9
1fastchick
Registered Member

I found something that works though when on my bike Drive by their open windows at 13k and just lvl off with them so the pipe is right at their ear lvl Works like a charm

www.cycleforums.com

1968 Fastback "Gidget"
Old 06-04-2002, 10:31 AM   #10
Ponycar_302
Registered Member

A lot of people say cell phones should be banned in vehicles. What about the radio? Or smoking in a vehicle? Eating and drinking? There are a lot of things you can do to take your attention off the road. We all do the things I've mentioned (except smoking, perhaps). Should the government ban radios in vehicles to possibly prevent accidents?

You get my point. There has to be a point where common sense and responsibility take over. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Does something need to be done about it? Who is to say? Be careful for what you wish for though. Make enough noise and you'll wake "Big Brother". He knows what you need, and will pass a law to make your life better for you. Some people actually need a cell phone for work. Hypothetically, suppose a surgeon has been called for a victim of a serious accident. As he is driving toward the hospital he is being briefed by his surgical staff. Without this consult via cell phone he cannot give orders to his team to keep the victim alive. Now, suppose the victim of the accident is you. Aren't you glad that cell phones are legal?

Ultimately, it comes down to the responsilibility of the user. If they cause an accident because they were talking on a phone, that person should be held accountable.

Coincidentally, I don't own a cell phone. I'm just attempting to present a different view.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:18 AM   #11
jimberg
Registered Member

Amen, Ponycar_302. Knee jerk responses to things that bother people is why our government is in the shambles that it is. If someone causes an accident because they are on a cell phone, get them for negligence. Inconveniencing everyone because of the actions of a few people is a very liberal thing to do.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:27 AM   #12
929PhoenixSquid
Registered Member

Yeah, that really pisses me off. The other day I saw some girl talking on the phone and swerving into my lane. It startled me and I almost dropped the hoagie and pepsi while I was shaving...

SN95 block front and rear seats, Mac catback, BBK off-road H-pipe, Steeda castor camber plates, Steeda lowering springs, Tokico shocks/struts, Alpine/MBQuart/PPI audio mods...
929PhoenixSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 03:10 PM   #13
1fastchick
Registered Member

Quote:
A lot of people say cell phones should be banned in vehicles. What about the radio? Or smoking in a vehicle? Eating and drinking? There are a lot of things you can do to take your attention off the road. We all do the things I've mentioned (except smoking, perhaps). Should the government ban radios in vehicles to possibly prevent accidents?
Now in areas in MI ANYTHING either radio, cell, eating, putting on makeup, or anything that takes your attention from driving you can get stopped for and ticketed.

I see your point though but I don't think that 16yr old with the 1week of driving experience and the other million teenagers don't need to be on their phones when learning to drive is hard enough for most. I think if you have a hands free kit and you HAVE to be on the phone ie: job or emergency who cares that cool but not to gab to your friends about everything else under the sun while you are driving to their house.

www.cycleforums.com

1968 Fastback "Gidget"
Old 06-04-2002, 05:32 PM   #14
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Common Sense and cell phones

I respect (and share) that spirit of rugged individualism with jimberg and Ponycar_302 however my response wasn't 'knee-jerk' but rather one that advised defensive driving and awareness of distracted drivers. I stand by it.

A law banning cell phone use by drivers is a bit hard to enforce and I do agree that we have enough laws already - more than enough - thank you. Good point.

Of course using that once proud attribute of American culture we used to call Common Sense should make excessive and/or unnecessary cell phone use rare but it appears our old friend Common Sense seems to have abandoned us these days. I miss him.

Fortunately the posts on this particular thread indicate that at least some Mustangers understand that - law or no law - cell phone yakking while driving a 3000 + pound vehicle at 60 mph or more may not be a wise or necessary addition to your driving responsibilities. That's reassuring and I share the sentiment.

I've used a cell phone in the car: for about 30 seconds. Just enough to say "I'll call you back" or something similar. Like a gun or a car; it's not the inanimate object that's the problem, it's how it's used - or misused.

Unfortunately, cell phones are misused by most drivers. It's not about other drivers being 'bothered' by them, it's the inherent danger a very distracted driver poses to others on the road.

I'll grant you that eating, applying make-up or playing a system at 150 decibles while driving is equally as dangerous but the ubiquitous cellphone is more easily targeted and with the tendency to demonize what is readily apparent (automobile cell phone talkers are quite visible and like it that way) the urge to make the use of cell phones while driving, illegal, is very tempting for politicians, and that temptation usually wins the battle over any politician's instinct to just leave people alone.

Tough call but I prefer my old friend Common Sense to prevail when possible. Sadly, old man Common Sense is too often totally absent in too many folks these days. Sad.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 05:36 PM   #15
shadowblue89
Registered Member

you said it perfect MR 5 0

89 GT 5spd
shadowblue89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2002, 05:38 PM   #16
digital3.3

talking on your cell (holding the phone to your ear with one hand) is stupid, one spends more time concentrating on the phones position and reception than the road. if you gotta use your phone pull over and get off the road, cause if you hit my car i'll give ya few right hooks to the head.
Old 06-05-2002, 05:26 PM   #17
Mazz
Registered Member

Hi there!!!
Well talking on your mobile phone (cell phone) without a hands free kit while driving is illegal here in Australia. You get caught by the cops and you will get a $130AUS fine. As you can imagine the police are making a tidy profit!
Marilyn
South Australia
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mazz69blackstang.jpg (17.0 KB, 8 views)
Mazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 07:46 AM   #18
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

I too have used a cell phone while in a car, but I only used it when there was no traffic or light traffic. But there is nothing worse then driving in heavy traffic, swerving in and out of lanes, while talking on a cell phone. U don't see me trying to put in a CD when changing lanes, so why talk on a phone?
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 06:09 PM   #19
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Unhappy

I use a cell phone in the car... but nobody ever calls me. Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, think I'll eat some worms!!!

Seriously. I've seen a lot of people on the road who can't control themselves and get all caught up in a conversation, and I've also seen some VERY alert cell phone users.

I just favor more aggressive penalties for causing an accident while using a cell phone. Make the cell phone an added violation. Kind of a secondary law. Like seatbelts used to be. If you're not driving stupid, there's no reason to punish you.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 08:49 PM   #20
particleeffect
Registered Member

i use a cell phone while im driving. but i dont make long bsing calls. i might talk for 30-45 sec's to get facts about something and then end it, like directions. also its easy to do at stop light areas but some people just bs down the highway, like my mom. she just bs's for all this time and it pisses me off. shes never been in an accident ever though.

o well, i wear my seatbelt and watch other drivers.