MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-13-2003, 09:30 AM   #21
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by DemonGT
Rice hunter reminded me

in the paper the other day i seen a artical talken bout how there going to take a crap load of ppl off death row and just put them in for life.....thats dumb..there just going to end up costing us tax payers that much more

if some one is PROVEN GUILTY..and sentenced to death...it shouldnt be like..."ok your sentence is death..now go sit on death row for 15 years" it should be "your sentence is death...no..follow that nice officer to the execution room"
I'm against the death penalty.

I'm not going to try and convince anyone here, but I feel better explaining a few things. First, I have never had someone close to me that has been murdered, and I can't swear that my feelings about the death penalty would remain the same if that was to happen. Second, I feel the same way as everyone else does as far as ANY form of child abuse is concerned. Third, I feel the same way when it comes to rape, or the abusing of a woman.

Now, that being said, there are two main reasons I'm against the death penalty. The first is the fact that in the past 40 years, there have been close to 100 cases in which a convict on death row was later proven innocent. I can't help but wonder what that must be like, knowing your life is over, for something you didn't do. Once the person is dead, there isn't a court in the land that can bring him back to life when they discover he was really innocent.

The second reason applies to those that are absolutely, positively guilty. I believe getting put to death is the easy way out. That's why so many cowards choose suicide; it's easier to die and be done with it, than to face the music. I think that once a person is convicted, they should be forced to live in a 23 hour program, for the rest of their life. I know the law enforcement members here are familiar with a 23 hour program, but for those that aren't, its a program in which the inmate is locked down in his 6'x8' cell, 23 hours a day, everyday. 7 days a week, sometimes less, they are granted 1 hour a day during which they are permitted to leave their cell and use the day room, which is where the shower, payphone, and television are. They can use that hour to watch tv, call someone (collect), and/or take a shower, but when that hour is up, they go back to their cell. They don't decide when their hour is, either. In their cell, the only reading material they are allowed is a bible.

So, in short, they will spend the rest of their lives, stuck in a tiny cell, with nothing to do, and not much to read. I assure you most would attempt suicide within a month or two, but hopefully they won't be successful. I want the worthless scum to suffer, for as long as possible. The idea of getting put to death is too easy for them, IMO.

As far as saving money by killing them, it doesn't work that way. Right now, the way things are today, it costs the taxpayers more, on average, to put an inmate to death than it does for them to serve life in prison.

The numbers are actually fairly close, but it ends up costing about $100k more to kill them. The reason why is because when a person is sentenced to death, they are automatically afforded an appeal, at our expense. The average legal expenses that are paid by the taxpayers is well over 1 million dollars per case.

Is the answer eliminating the appeals? In my opinion, no. More than 40 cases were overturned during their appeal in the past 40 years, because evidence was found that proved them innocent.

Food for thought.
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 12:41 PM   #22
D7M8
Registered Member

Illinois gov. George Ryan pardoned those people, on death row, in part of mistrials and not enough evidence for them to be there in the first place. "Three years ago, Ryan imposed a moratorium on executions after 13 death row inmates were exonerated after being proven innocent." If the system is that screwed up why take a chance killing 50 more innocent people.
As for your drug & rape guy, his turn is coming up. He won't get the luxury of drugs though. I think it's a fitting punishment to the crime. I think it should of never happended but this is reality and it DOES. Sorry, this is a touchy subject for me. Really close to home. I'm just glad he will get to play the B!@#$ in prison.
D7M8 is offline   Reply With Quote