MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-20-2003, 12:37 AM   #1
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Default any good websites/books on car painting basics?

I'm really wanting to eventually do my own bodywork and paint, but haven't had any kind of instruction or help so far to get me motivated into trying any of my own.
I have come to a point where I feel completely comfortable doing anything mechanically related, but painting, I'm just nervous about.
Just wondering if there were any VERY basic books or websites for a VERY un-knowledgable guy to get started in the right direction on bodywork and painting.
I realize that it takes a ton of practice, and good equipment to get a great quality job, but you gotta start somewhere right?
I think I could eventually be a pretty good painter with the right instruction.

Anyone have any ideas on where to look, or have any spare body panels I can practice on?

thanks,

-Drew
Old 09-20-2003, 03:15 PM   #2
ac97gt
Registered Member

i dont know how serious you would want to get, but im sure a community college near you offers some cheap auto body courses where you could learn and practice the "right" way to do things... probably not too expensive...

if you are intent on doing this online try searching google a bit with things like "auto body and painting how-to" .. i searched real quick and got this hit http://www.autobody101.com/ . it actually seems pretty informative and theres a downloadable manual on how to paint there.

Flowmasters
Bassani X w/cats
Steeda Triax
K&N and Air Intake Silencer Removed
More to come with money!

My Ride
ac97gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 04:35 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Default Bodywork, painting

I read everything I could get my hands on. A few basic books that I bought were HOW TO PAINT YOUR CAR, HOW TO PAINT YOUR HOT ROD, and HOW TO RESTORE BODY WORK. There were many "how to" articles in various car mags like CAR CRAFT etc.

The tech sheets from the manufacturor of the paint must be followed to the letter for that paint system. Use everything from the same manufacturor as to metal primer, primer/filler, color coats and clear coats. Don't mix and match product lines.

Be careful with polyurethanes. You won't want to plastic coat the inside of your lungs. I used an acrylic urethane from PPG just because it was less toxic. I felt that I could get by with an activated charcoal filter with that one. Dupont polyurethanes require a fresh air hood type of ventillated hood from what I've heard.

My advice is to buy the best material possible and take as much time as you need to get the prep work as good and as straight as possible. Every flaw will show up in spades after the final paint.

Read lots of books and ask lots of questions and take lots of time. You will still end up with less than a perfect job, especially if you are doing it in your garage as apposed to a paint booth. It can turn out looking pretty good though with a great deal of time and effort.

BTW, it still won't be cheap. I spent $1500 on materials for paint and body after all was said and done. That included stripping to bare metal, doing a lot of things twice or three times, six months of weekends, and a tremendous amount of effort.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote