MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-19-2005, 07:01 AM   #1
RBatson
Registered Member

Default Tried to get a dyno run

Someone got a new dyno, locally, so I tried to get the Mach on the dyno the past few weeks. I called and they said the first friday of the month was dyno day and they close at 6pm but just call and they would wait. I called and told them I'd be a few minutes late, I actually talked to the guy about my car the week before, I get there at 6:08 and they left. I wasn't too happy. They left word that they would honor the dyno day rate. I went there the following friday and I go in and it all 20" rims and fart pipes. I wait for about 45 minutes and they inform me they can't run my car because I don't have a distributor. "Does your car have a distributor?" Ummm.. NO. Well we can't do those cars yet... What a hack shop that is!! Ricer boy heaven over there! You should see the crowd that hangs out there, backwards caps and big baggy pants.

Anyhow, I plan to take the car out of town for a base line dyno and hopefully the weather will co-operate next weekend and I can make it to the track for some stock times. I'm expecting ETs of 13.6 or better over 103mph. There may be a few of us headed to Fayetteville. Friend of mine says the track is nice over there. Any guesses what this stock Mach will run.?
Old 02-19-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
andy669
Registered Member

Default Re: Tried to get a dyno run

You need a distributor to dyno, eh? Thats a new one. Just as well. I wouldnt want these morons anywhere near my car.

Andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 11:39 AM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

The DynoJets that I've had my car on just need a sparkplug wire to hook up to (similar to a timing light) to get the tachometer on the dyno to register. What kind of dyno were they using? My bet is that the MachI will register 305 X .83 = 253 RWHP. When you look for another dyno, try to get one that has an exhaust gas analyzer with it. That way you get an air/fuel ratio for the entire rpm range.

I have lined up against a MachI at the track. He ran about 13.50/102 as I remember. I nailed him pretty well out of the hole (reaction time). Otherwise, it would have been a pretty close race.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
RBatson
Registered Member

They have a mustang dyno. They said they needed reflective tape. Seems if you go through the expense of having a dyno you would have reflective tape should you need it. LOL! Needless to say, I don't feel comfortable with that place now.

The place in Jacksonville is supposed to be pretty good. I've heard the Mach is somewhat underrated, I'm hoping for better than 253hp but I guess we will see.

13.50@102mph. I guess I'd be happy with that. The best I got out of the 97 cobra vert, I had, was 14.0@100.??mph. The Mach feels much stronger. I figure I should do better than 13.8s atleast.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:56 PM   #5
DeltaMustang65
Knuckle-Basher

hi, i'm matt and i'm new to this website. i've never taken my car to get dyno tested before, partly because i'm not trusting of the shops where i live, and like rbatson said there are a lot of ricers here. anyway, i'd like to get it done in order to get my car's tuning nailed as best as possible. how much does a dyno usually cost, and will shops generally tune/adjust/whatever the car between dyno runs?
DeltaMustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:10 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

Some shops will dyno tune for a price, doing it all for you. You can find local DynoJets on the DynJet web page as they list everyone in your area that has one. The shops I have used will rent out the DynoJet by the hour so you or someone you furnish can tune the car between runs and try different approaches. This is not cheap though as you are renting a $20,000 + machine by the hour as well as paying your tune up guy.

I tune mine myself judging improvements from my drag strip time slips and by using my G-tech Pro. When I think I have reasonably increased the power, then I will spring for the DynoJet runs ($85 for 5 runs here in Houston).

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:18 AM   #7
Ron1
Registered Member

On both the Mustang Dyno and DynoJet you do not need to hook up a spark plug wire. Prior to the run, RPM range can be set by taking the vehicle to a certain RPM, lets say 2500 RPM. The Dyno will read the speed of the vehicle at that given RPM. The computer is set and it's done. Very accurate. We use it on all the vehicles we test and tune. Another point of interest is that companies like Superchips Custom Tuning and other, all recommend (in both their manuals and courses they offer) that you should always use a load bearing Dyno (like the Mustang Dyno) to tune since it will simulate actual driving conditions. It is almost imperative when setting transmission shift point. One other feature on the MD1750 SE is the ability to run a 1/4 mile. It tests reaction time, 60, 330,660,1000 and 1320 and hands you a time slip when you are done.

As far as the cost of Dyno? Depending on capability and features base price is around $50,000.00. Then ad freight, if in ground another 10K for the rebar reinforced pit, and another 8K for the hoist when above ground. Additional monitors can be added to look at inlet temperatures, boost levels, EGT's, AFR, etc. Unless you carry a on board data logger, very hard to do at the track.

Ron
9.74 @ 137 w/ N2O
www.fastspecialties.com
Ron1 is offline   Reply With Quote