MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-06-2002, 04:01 PM   #21
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

I wouldn't hold my breath for a response....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 04:04 PM   #22
ultraflo
NX dealer-man

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
...about them freezing their lungs.
Is that why they fill up a ballon before inhaling that stuff? ..so they don't freeze thier lungs?

If you inhale that stuff right off the tank at 1000psi I hate to think of the consequences. I'm not up to par on inhaling N20... please edu-ma-cate me.

How does the dentist use it?
ultraflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 07:02 PM   #23
RPM427
Registered Member

It seems too retarted to be real. But I have seen plenty of things that defy logic and baffle the mind when it comes to ricers.

I don't know about you guys, but I am fed up with all the false advertizing going on in the automotive "performance" industry. Some of these include:

-"the air tornado" which swirls the air to boost horsepower and gas milage up to 25%!

-"the electric turbo" which doesn't hurt your engine with boost but acts like a turbo.

-And all the engine additives such as Z-max which scam customers out of thier money.

There are plenty more and will always be until the average person stops being a mindless consumer and educates themselves.

-1994 Ranger w/ 427cid windsor (daily beater)
check it out!
RPM427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 09:54 PM   #24
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by ultraflo
Is that why they fill up a ballon before inhaling that stuff? ..so they don't freeze thier lungs?

If you inhale that stuff right off the tank at 1000psi I hate to think of the consequences. I'm not up to par on inhaling N20... please edu-ma-cate me.

How does the dentist use it?
The regulator controls the flow. I doubt anyone would survive a 1000 psi blast, whether it was nitrous or oxygen. But, at a much slower, controlled rate, it is simply a sleeping gas.

Those that inhale either take and hold a large hit (doesn't work very well), or they inhale deeply, and exhale, and inhale, and exhale, etc, basically hyper-ventilating with nitrous. This has dangerous effects.

About 23 or 24 years ago, when I was a young teen, this was a popular recreational hobby. I only did it a few times, but I was around others doing it quite a bit. The thing that made me stop doing it so soon was the last "experience" I had on it. i had taken 10 or 12 fast hits, and then stood up quickly. While standing, I felt great, but something bothered me. I couldn't understand how it was that the ground just came up and hit me! I was minding my own business, and wham! up it came and hit me. Others said I fell over, but I remember it clearly, and I didn't fall. I would swear to this, to this day, except that I know it's not possible.

Anyway, that was enough for me. I started hanging out with the racers and learned what nitrous was really for.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 01:35 AM   #25
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Chris, you did not inhale pure nitrous oxide, if you did, you would be dead.

The stuff used at dental offices is of a VERY small amount of actual N20, somewhere on the order of 5-10%. I'm not sure about what the rest is though.

This subject came up when I was refilling my bottle one day at a local race shop. The owner brought up the topic of medical grade vs. non medical(the stuff with sulfer dioxide). He said theres someplace in town that will fill nitrous bottles with medical grade, and a friend of his son's filled a bottle with it. He inhaled it, and his lungs froze, and it killed him.

I'm not saying any of this from personal experience, so it may not be 100% accurate, but I'm sure as hell never gonna put my mouth around the nozzle and inhale.

someone please correct me if I am indeed incorrect,
-drew
Old 12-07-2002, 05:23 AM   #26
PKRWUD

Yes, I did, and I'm still alive.

I would never encourage you or anyone else to try inhaling it. That being said, the story you heard is missing some details. The ONLY difference between medical and racing nitrous is the sulfer, and that was only added in the last 6 or 8 years. We used to get "high" with both medical and racing nitrous, but back then, they were the same thing, except that the medical tanks were filled in a sterile environment, and the racing tanks weren't. One of "the guys" back then worked at a hospital, and came home one night with a 100 pound tank of nitrous sitting in a milk crate that was strapped to the back of his motorcycle, and bungie-corded to his back. he had stolen it from the hospital, and it was full of pure nitrous. usually, the guys would use Steve Presta's tank from his 427 Vega.

It doesn't freeze your lungs. I can guarantee that. Well, if you inhaled it at full pressure, maybe, but not normally.

If the kid in the story you heard tried sucking on the jets, and used the trigger button to hit it, then yes, maybe that happened. But if he controlled the flow with his hand on the regulator, like everyone else, he'd be fine.

I understand where you're coming from, though. When I installed my first nitrous system, one of the solenoids was bad, and had a pinhole leak. As soon as I opened the tank up, little nitrous lightning bolt shaped icicles took off from the solenoid. it stopped doing that, though, as I reduced the pressure. Also, keep in mind that the regulator on a nitrous tank is not nearly as gradual as one on a tank that is intended for human consumption. The thread pitch in the valve is much finer in the regulators used for oxygen and nitrous that are intended for people.

Again, I AM NOT CONDONING THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOR!!! But in the past, I have been there, and speak from experience.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 12-07-2002, 10:05 AM   #27
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

thanks for clearing that up chris. This guy must have been a complete idiot when trying it.

Why don't we all just stick to huffing normal things like paint thinner and "dry erase" markers
Old 12-07-2002, 11:01 AM   #28
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by fiveohpatrol
tWhy don't we all just stick to huffing normal things like paint thinner and "dry erase" markers
My personal fav: Zippo lighters!

Mmmmmmmmmmzzzzzz zz z zzz zzz zz
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 12-08-2002, 04:10 PM   #29
fiveoboy01

That was really good for a laugh!!

I wonder if they believe their claims, or if they know they are false? I'm guessing the latter - anyone will say anything these days to make a buck...
Old 12-08-2002, 04:48 PM   #30
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you seen the quick "demo" video??????????

*HUGE sigh of disgust*

This can't be for real...
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 06:10 AM   #31
Motorhead302
Registered Member

OMG, what in God's name was the point of that video? that was possibly the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen!

also, i must add, that i feel somewhat foolish, i though that n2o was flammable. oh well, can't know all the answers. damn.

95 GT, Pulleys, Headers, Off-road H, 3.55's, Tremec 3550, Cobra Clutch 14.4's @ 96mph before exhaust.

'92 LX, 4.10's, Underdrives, Off-road, Flowmaster 2 Chambers, Chrome Cobra R Wheels
NEW TIMES: 8.694@78.7, 13.694@97.76
Motorhead302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:10 PM   #32
84LX89GT
Mustangs

All your nitrous sniffing stories and this horrible product have inspired me:

I think i'm going to market a new nitrous product for those ricers....hell, if you can make them buy a mini nitrous system like that why not sell a "super-market" nitrous system. Have a plastic nozzle that will fit in the end of a spray-can nozzle and have a plastic line run to the intake. Have refillable "reddi-whip" nitrous cartridges and sell them for a reasonable $50 for a package of 5. No dangerous nitrous controls or worries about pinging because of the "power-foam" that comes out of the cans will serve as a fuel when heated to 1000*

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:16 PM   #33
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Check this out, i found this on the nitrous mini terms and conditions page.....really funny, what a scam!

"By submitting your creative ideas, inventions, suggestions or materials (your "submission") you grant "Nitrous Mini Company". a royalty-free, perpetual and irrevocable, license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, communicate to the public, perform and display your submission (in whole or in part) worldwide and to incorporate your submission in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed without any notice or compensation to you."

or this one:

"Nitrous Mini Company" reserves the right at any time after receipt of your order, without prior notice to you, to supply less than the quantity you ordered of any item and adjust your invoice accordingly.

another one as well:

Cancelled orders are subject to a restocking fee up to 20% of the original purchase price. Special order items may not be cancelled or returned. Orders may not be cancelled once they have been shipped. All other returns must be approved by "Nitrous Mini Company" prior to being returned. ALL RETURNED MERCHANDISE MUST RECEIVE PRIOR APPROVAL FROM "Nitrous Mini Company" and must have an valid RMA number. All authorized returns must be returned within 10 days after being delivered. Any items received after 10 days or without approval from "Nitrous Mini Company" will be refused and returned to the purchaser at his/her own expense. All returns must be in unused, unaltered, and unpainted condition. All returns must be sent shipping prepaid. Any returns sent freight collect will be refused and returned to the purchaser at their own expense. All returnable items must be carefully packed in original packing (or better) if the original packing is no longer in good condition. Purchaser is advised to insure the returned goods for their full value for his own protection, since neither "Nitrous Mini Company" nor the shipping company would be responsible for any damage or loss in shipment. Refunds will not be issued on returned merchandise damaged on the way back to "Nitrous Mini Company". It is the buyer's responsibility to insure the returned shipment. In the event returned merchandise is damaged, "Nitrous Mini Company" will file a claim with the carrier and refund the purchaser upon settlement of the claim.

these people are damn criminals!

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 10:24 PM   #34
Motorhead302
Registered Member

Quote:
these people are damn criminals!
Amen to that!!

95 GT, Pulleys, Headers, Off-road H, 3.55's, Tremec 3550, Cobra Clutch 14.4's @ 96mph before exhaust.

'92 LX, 4.10's, Underdrives, Off-road, Flowmaster 2 Chambers, Chrome Cobra R Wheels
NEW TIMES: 8.694@78.7, 13.694@97.76
Motorhead302 is offline   Reply With Quote