MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-22-2003, 12:36 PM   #1
Tzar
Registered Member

Question What mustangs considered illigal and legal on the streets of Toronto in Cop's view?

I'm not familiar with the street laws in Toronto, and before adding serious power to my car by adding in turbo, i would like to know what is the limit of RWHP can 95 GT have ,without messing up with the law....
I also would like to know if any of you guys in Toronto was stopped on the toronto streets, without any reason, just cuz you're driving a mustang?

I'd luv to know what should i do in this situations on the road, because if i'll make a mistake i'll probably will loose my car....and i don't want that...

Sincerely

Tzar.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 07:39 PM   #2
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

I doubt there is a hp limit. If you have 100 horsepower and go 20 km over the legal limit, you are messing with the law. Sound, emmisions, etc are usually legal factors.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
BLACK85GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 12:34 AM   #3
Tzar
Registered Member

Thank you for your reply Black85gt,

I may sound about paranoid about this matter ;p

So if you run a 3000RWHP mustang on the street at downtown Toronto with a parashute at the back at your speed limit you should be ok and no cops would stop you?

I also heard from a friend that if cops will see a turbo not on a turbo stock car, they would order to remove the turbo and write a ticket.......I know it sounds like a nonesence, but it makes me think about it what if it's true.....

I was looking for some information sites about this, and couldn't find anything usefull..........
I'd like to hear from people who had trouble with the law with their mustangs please!!!

Sincerely,

Tzar
Old 02-23-2003, 07:54 AM   #4
ChunkFunky
Registered Member

technicaly canada is another country, so I dont know for sure... but generaly, like the other guys said, it's NOISE and EMISIONS that they care about... and of course speeding.... oh yeah and tires... you dont wanna run around town on slicks... even the DOT approved MT ETs might be iffy.... if you dont call attention to yourself, you'd be all set... and unles they popped the hood, how could they know you had a TURBO.... but in anycase, I dont think there's anything wrong with modifying your car as long as it passes all the tests...

-as
Old 02-23-2003, 01:05 PM   #5
hobgoblin351
Registered Member

Alot of it comes down to the cop. If he wants to bust your balls he will. Turbo on a non turbo car? I think thats pushing it. A turbocharger is still a street leagl device, well at least here in NYC it is. Nitrous is where I'd be worried. It's NOT street legal. At one of the local racers hangouts, the cops blocked off the entrances. Pulled up with a trailor, and told everyone to pop their hoods. Any car running a bottle was taken! Yeah I know I couldn't believe it either. But remember that was an extreme example, in an area where street racing is a very big problem.
Scrw in studs/comp cams rllr rkr
Mldn valves 2.19in 1.71ex
ported polished cc'd hrdnd ex
Keith Black FT pistons(10.25/1)
Weiand Excellorator manifold
Holley700 DP mech 2nds
MSD 6 box and Dis
Headers/2 1/2 inch duels
tr: modified FMX
re:9-inch/3.89 limited slip
hobgoblin351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 01:20 PM   #6
MazdaProwner
Registered Member

As long as your car passes and Ontario Drive Clean test and a MTO safety inspection, you really don't have to worry about anything except making noise. You could have 34562362 RWHP and it wouldn't matter. There is however the chance that a cop just wants to be a dick and really can hassle you about whatever the hell he wants.

Have you ever heard of Bill 241??
You should check out these links.

http://www.fsra.org/ontario_241.html
http://www.petitiononline.com/sect1722/petition.html
http://www.naaaccc.ca/sema_jan_2003.htm

This is really a threat to any car enthusiast anywhere. If this passes, it might set a precedent for every other province/state to do the same thing if they really want to.
MazdaProwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 02:30 PM   #7
BilLster
Registered Member

ok sume off the things that are illigal under car neon light's

more than one set of fog light below your driving lights.

a parachute is concidered illigal because if it deploy's it can contribute to an accident. And mine covers the liscence when attached to the frame

exhaust mods are the most touchy sound can be ticketed.

slicks are illigal as are any not dot tire also running diffrent type of tires can be ticketed I use to have a set of mickey t street slicks and run a radial 165-80-15 and techicnically i could be ticketed byas ply and radial mix.

as for the private members bill all that legislation is else where except for takeing out of province or us plate but it only effects non comertial vehicles for $2.00 more in Canada you can get comertial plates. and the glass thing i agree with also
but it is already on the books to.

but the biggest is cops are morons i told a cop that my twin turbo was stock and he confermed that he new there was a twin turbo option but only on 302's and he thought i had said it was adiffrent motor so i told him yeah its ford crate 302 called a 393 because it makes 393hp. he then told me he has seem a couple of stock cars like this. he had pulled me over because he thought my traction bars was a muffler that had fallen off i since painted them black from yellow.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:19 PM   #8
raptor
Registered Member

Attenion everyone us guys in Ontario Canada are going to be screwed if this bill goes through. It will kill all racing in Ontario I know I cant afford a trailer and truck to haul my Stang. Please everyone sign the pettion...... http://www.petitiononline.com/sect1722/petition.html
I like to know whats going to happen when I refuse to open my Hood. I'd like to know where the Cops got there Mechanics Linesse. I HATE COPS F*****!!! Check out the hole article.... http://www.performanceimprovements.h...m/Bill241.html
This is sooo mush B/S!! I'm pissed I spent about 5G's on my car this winter And I'm driven it damn it. F*** Them!!
88GT, 331Stroker,FMS 70mm TB,77mm Pro-M mass air,Ram Air,K&N,GT40/Exployer Intakes,Gasket Matched,FMS 24lb injectors,Crane hi-6 ignition system,B303 cam,Crane 1.6RR,FMS underdrive pullies,351W/heads,port/polish,FMS h/f oil pump,Hedman headers,2 1/2in H pipe Flow Masters,190lph Holley fuel pump,Center Force dual friction,FMS 3.55,Hurst short throw/ trigger T handle,Subframe connectors,Welded torque boxes.
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 06:57 PM   #9
Tzar
Registered Member

Unhappy

Thank you for your replies guys...
I thought what i heard from my friends was just a silly joke; i was wrong ; now i see how serious it is for Ontario drivers .....
For almost 2 years i have been reading about the car's perfomance, turbos, supercharges; and collecting some coin for the turbo kit all this time.....I had a dream of making my car strong, because that's what mustang deserves.... My dreams will die as soon as this Bill will go live, so it shoudn't !

I signed the petition against this bill, and hope that it will never be legislated...

Sincerely

Tzar
Old 02-23-2003, 08:29 PM   #10
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I agree with what was said above. Actually I've noticed that Toronto area police tend to overlook mustangs and other "fast" cars and go straight for the riced out imports.

This new bill is totally stupid. Even if it were to pass, there would be a hell of a lot of court fighting going on.

Safest thing to do is just leave Ontario, that's what I'm going to do.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 01:14 AM   #11
moc
Registered Member

Default Kidding

Hes only kidding,
05/04/09
(Hangar Queen)
SMOKEM UP
moc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 01:44 PM   #12
BilLster
Registered Member

seriously guys read it if you get comertial plates it doesnt apply to you.

when you go to get your registration renewed ask about commertial plates for your vehicle say you deliver pizza and you need the minimium vehical weight.
and them your a comertial vehicle and not goverened by this stupid members bill.

and you dont need any diffrent insurence either.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:44 AM   #13
Nicole Josee
Registered Member

I'm glad to see some fellow Canadians in here. I hope all you Ontarians read this and sign this petition. I think that as long as you are obeying the laws and use only street legal parts the cops should leave you alone.
1989 Dodge Ram Van "Old Faithful #2"
Nicole Josee is offline   Reply With Quote