MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-06-2003, 03:35 PM   #21
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

A few years ago, I went sky diving with a few of my buddies after we graduated high school. Our price was $250 and that included about 4 hours of training.

The coolest thing was that we did a 'static' jump meaning there was a line that would deploy our parachute after 7-8 seconds of freefall. Since we had the static line, we got to jump by ourselves . It was pretty scary considering we only had 4 hours of training and if the static line didn't work, we had to manually pull the chute! When we were ready to jump, we had to climb out on the wing and hang onto the top. Then we let our feet dangle in the wind, just holding on with our hands. When the instructor told us to let go, we let go and prayed that the static line would open the chute.

To make it worse, they had us jump in order from heaviest to lightest. Since my 140lb arse was the lightest, I had to sit in the plane while 4 other people jumped out before me. My friend who jumped right before me was out on the wing hanging when the instructor told him to let go. He didn't hear the instructor so he kept holding on. The instructor told him again to let go. Again, my friend didn't hear. Finally, the instructor booted him off the wing! You could imagine what was going through my mind at this point...I was the next to go.

When it was my turn, I let go of that wing as soon as the instructor told me to. I free fell for a good 8-9 seconds before my chute opened. The best part was just cruising after my chute opened. We had radio's so the people on the ground could guide us where to go. It was so cool to float down for the next 2:00. We jumped from a low altitude (3000ft) because it was a static jump but it was still scary as heck to do it by ourselves with a few hours of training! If anyone is contemplating it, DO IT ! It's such a rush! This is the certificate that we got after we completed our jump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firstjump.jpg (203.8 KB, 5 views)

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 04:24 PM   #22
twofast
Registered Member

i have almost 1,100 jumps (19 hours of freefall time).
stick with it and jump often so you can become proficient. skydiving on a competitive level opens up a new world.

68 stang 351w _ 12.99@106
my stangs update 9-03-02
twofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 02:02 AM   #23
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Oh I would LOVE to do it, but just never have... YET!