MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-05-2003, 03:25 AM   #1
StangFlyer
Founder

Talking Who's brave enough?

Hey, do we have anyone here that's gone sky diving at least once in their life? For those that don't know, I'm into Sky Diving... Well, I was as I haven't gone for a couple years now. However, I'm going to start jumping again this summer. Who from the site would be up to going? Perhaps we can all go as a group (get's a discount) a particular weekend this spring/summer. Where I jump is at the Grand Bend Parachute Center in Grand Bend, Canada. It's about three hours or so from the Detroit Metro area. Oh, and oddly enough, the Grand Bend drag strip is right next to it.

Any ways, check out all my Sky Diving pictures and video of my first jump in my Sky Diving album in the Media Center.

Here I am free falling, with two instructors assisting, at around 8000 ft during my first jump a few years ago:
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 03:42 AM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

no way dan, i'm not jumping out of a perfectly flying plane, lol.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 08:22 AM   #3
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

I would LOVE to go sky diving... but I don't know of any place around here to go. It's probably pretty expensive
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 08:44 AM   #4
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Horse GT
no way dan, i'm not jumping out of a perfectly flying plane, lol.
lmfao...thats exactly what my dad says...so funny...

id love to skydive, but i cant gulp that little percent of error that could happen...honestly, what good would that helmet do you? hehe....j/k, i know its not for when you go SPLAT....wait, have i scared some members? lol.......too bad im all the way down here, eh? itd be nice to do something like this...

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 09:58 AM   #5
Kevin Price
Registered Member

Hmmmm....think I will just grab my umbrella and jump off of my roof instead. Does this work?

My Car
Kevin Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 11:07 AM   #6
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

If I lived anywhere near you Dan I would go in a heartbeat! Unfortunately, Canada is too much of a drive for me.

I have been wanting to skydive for a long time. I have checked into proces and stuff, and it actually is pretty reasonable. Maybe this summer I will finally get to do it.....although it will happen here in Missouri .

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 02:20 PM   #7
GrayStang
Registered Member

My husband loves to! He says it's almost as good as sex or a low 10 sec pass.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:54 PM   #8
StangFlyer
Founder

Talking

cyberstang5.0, no... Actually it's not as expensive as you might think. The first time costs more because you have to go through a whole training course, etc... In US currency it runs about $250. The second jump is still a little pricey because you still have to have two instructors jump with you, but after that it gets cheaper and cheaper because you go to just one instructor. By the time you get your certification (takes about 8 jumps if you progress normally) it's down to about $50 a jump or something like that. That's also with renting the equipment. If you ended up buying your own chute and stuff it's just like $25 for a spot on the plane ride up.

jj_jonathon, don't sweat it that much. The chance is real slim and you are most likely a lot more at risk driving around in your Stang. No kidding. In 20 years that Bob has operated the jump center they've never had a fatality. I think the worst thing they said that ever happened was that someone broke their ankle (most likely because they did something stupid landing). Most people who die in parachuting accidents actually die because the plane crashed they were riding in (of all things). The chutes all have TWO parachutes. Your main and your reserve. The reserve chute is repacked monthly by a certified packer even if it is not used. If you have a serious problem with your main chute after deployment, that can't quickly be remedied, the spring loaded reserve could be deployed. Also, they have further safety devices you wear that will automatically deploy your chute if your altitude gets too low and you haven't deployed your chute (say if you were somehow knocked unconscious).

Kevin Price, you do that Kev... See you in the hospital nursing that broken leg.

GrayStang, Well BETTER than a 9-second pass... Better than sex? Ahhhh, that's pushing it.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:31 PM   #9
lx5091
Registered Member

skydiving sounds so cool.....and i'm not afraid of death, I am however "deathly" afraid of disability! I think I could get over it enough to skydive, but i'd have to find a place out here on the east coast! I'd probably only do it once though, $250 a pop is expensive and I don't think I'd rack up enough jumps in my life to get certified! Just figuring that with work, projects and doing what someone else wants to do all summer wouldn't net me that many trips!

gotta try it though....i just gotta

'97 Saturn SL1--Soon to be ditched for a Ford!
lx5091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 05:45 PM   #10
StangFlyer
Founder

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by lx5091
$250 a pop is expensive and I don't think I'd rack up enough jumps in my life to get certified! gotta try it though....i just gotta
No, it's only $250 the first time you go because you have to go through a training class. Actually, they have a package deal where you can pay for all your first six/eight jumps for like $500 or something. That's what I did. I just bought the package deal.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:56 PM   #11
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Sweet! Dan I think you may have yourself a partner! Now that I'm 18 I was going to look into it for this summer. How far is it from Toronto? Like I've never even heard of it in Ontario. lol I'm about 4-5 Hours from Detroit. So if it's in Canada I'm sure it'll be closer (I'm hoping). And who knows, maybe afterwords you can let me take the GT out and let me see what's better. hahaha lol j/k Does this place have a website or something I can check out?

Thanks,
-Sam.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 06:03 PM   #12
1969Mach1

Stupid me relised after you put the link. lol It's about 3 hours away from me I figure. But I can probably do it in like 2. lol Aslong as I don't get lost. But sounds good to me, hopefully we can get some people rounded up for it.

-Sam.

302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made

Old 03-05-2003, 06:48 PM   #13
srv1
Get down.....

Question

Dan i would love to go, but when did you plan on going? I never skydived before, but always wanted to.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:35 PM   #14
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Jeeese Dan! You have fast cars, fast computers and fast free falls.... what don't you have Got a real jack of all trades here! Haha, I would love to go skydiving...I need something to get my heart going. Rollercoasters, flying off the road at high speeds on ice in my Jeep (20mph ), and stuff just don't get my heart going. I'll have to hunt you down some day!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2003, 09:15 PM   #15
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

Dan, let me know when you are going to go. I live on the way assuming you take the 401 to around the chatam area. I was going to go skydiving late last summer with some friends from work but they didn't end up going again. I'm not sure if I would skydive or jusy go to the track. Do you usually stay for the weekend or just go for the day? This gets me thinking about skydiving again. Thinking about it scares the **** out of me but at the same time i think it would be a kickass experience.

James

Oh and sam if your worried about getting lost just take the 401 down to chatam and get on i think its highway 21. it willb e lnoger then 3 hours but there is no way in hell you could get lost.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:53 PM   #16
1969Mach1

lol Very Sweet!!
I talked about it with my mom and she's said it was cool, and I talked to my ex and there like arn't you afraid to die... I'm like you better watch what you say, I may just not want to pull the string. lol

-Sam.

Ohh.. and I can get lost going anywhere! lol hopefully we can hit the track up.

302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made

Old 03-05-2003, 11:40 PM   #17
StangFlyer
Founder

SRV1 - Don't know, would have to be once warm weather hits. So at least into May most likely.

Rice Hunter - HA HA HA, I guess you're right. But, it's just because I'm an adrenaline lover I guess. I'm not dangerous or anything, and I play it safe, but man you can't beat the fun and the rush of jumping out of a plane at 14,000 ft!

RAGE_5.0 - Sounds great. You're not any farther away from Grand Bend than I am then. If we can get enough people, we can meet up as a group and get a discount too.

So, how many does that make so far? SRV1, are you realistically within distance to go?
Old 03-05-2003, 11:48 PM   #18
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Hehe....maybe I'm just a sissy, but I hold with Crazy Horse...why jump out of a perfectly good aircraft? Kinda like why jump off a perfectly sound bridge with a itty-bitty stretchy cord wrapped around your ankle?

No, if it came down to a point where I had to do it, say, in military training or in an emergency situation where I just happened to be in a disabled plane with a parachute, I'd do it in a heart beat.

You know, I saw a video once of a guy who had malfunctions with both chutes. He was wearing a helmet cam. His main chute deployed but tangled, so he cut it free. Then he deployed his reserve chute and it tangled. It never fully opened. So he fell for a couple of thousand feet with a giant flappy piece of fabric above him screaming his head off. He hit on the lee of a hill and apparently landed just right to where the angle of the small knoll dissapated enough energy for him not to be injured. In the video, you see him looking up at his chute and back down to he ground, a lot of screaming, and then the ground rushes up to meet him. He hits and the camera skips, and then the picture is still for a moment. Then, it starts to move, the guy realizes he's alive and not seriously injured, and then he starts yelling his head off and jumping around for joy. Crazy video.

Oh, and if I remember correctly, the Gueniss record for surviving a free fall was/is held by a stuardess (or flight attendant, to be politically correct). Her plane blew up in mid-air somewhere in Europe, and she fell around 30,000 feet without a chute. It didn't say how bad she was messed up, but she lived.

Not an experience I really want .

Crashing into a bar-ditch at 80 mph is about as much fun as I want to have in my life.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 08:31 AM   #19
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

I'll fly you guys, but I'm not jumping!
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 02:35 PM   #20
StangFlyer
Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by silver_pilate
His main chute deployed but tangled, so he cut it free. Then he deployed his reserve chute and it tangled. It never fully opened. So he fell for a couple of thousand feet with a giant flappy piece of fabric above him screaming his head off. He hit on the lee of a hill and apparently landed just right to where the angle of the small knoll dissapated enough energy for him not to be injured.
What, no sense of adventure man?

Naw, not that accidents don't happen... But, sky diving is actually a pretty safe sport. Safter than some others you could be involved in any ways. At least I think. Check out DropZone.com. It's my favorite Sky Diving site. I'm StangMan on there.