MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-16-2003, 02:15 AM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Cool I might buy a '92 GT 5-speed

I may be adding another Mustang to the 2-mustang family. I don't really trust the '91 LX 4-banger I have now (it came from a dysfunctional home), especially for long trips. But it gets me to work week after week and has been reliable, I just don't trust it b/c I think it is soon to fall apart. The A/C is giving problems and it leaks every once in a while on my leg and on passengers when it rains hard . The tranny is slowly leaking fluid onto the cat and smoking (you can especially see it after as it's sitting in park or after it's been driven a long ways) and I already had to pull it out twice to fix the bearing seal and then the pump. I don't like the idea of getting the tranny rebuilt b/c I could buy another 4-cylinder with that money, but why stop there? Also, the LX just doesn't have enought power for me to flow through traffic efficiently and I really always wanted a GT (auto) but this is Manual, but I figure I can deal with arm/wrist dancing (better get some cupholders).

The reason I am willing to consider and am excited about this is the lady I talked to says she is the original owner who bought it in '92 and it is in pretty much perfect condition. She says she is a 37 year old mother who just bought a jeep and doesn't dog out or race the car. She just needs to get rid of it. It was in the paper for $5500 but she says that is negotiable. She said the interior is perfect and so is exterior (and not too long ago got a new paint job). Plus she installed remote keyless entry.

Car supposedly has ~160,000 miles on it which could be a little lower for me, but I guess that's not too bad. If there were more miles on it, it'd be too expensive for me. I don't want another car to build cause I already have one for that purpose. It is teal green with silver bottom. Seems like a REALLY sweet deal and if I can get it for $5000, I probably will. Gonna go see it tomorrow and perhaps test drive it (she said I could come over and test drive it).

If it's right, I may even get it tomorrow. We'll see. I'll let you know if I get it.

If I get it, I won't be able to have enough money to build a 10-sec car as originally planned (for my '79) but I could still have enough to build a low 12 to high 11 sec street car. I can deal with that and also, I need a good reliable car (like a '92 GT) and if I have a 10-sec car (my '79), I need to store it in a garage, which I don't have, but it's not as bad storing a low 12 to high 11-sec car outside. Just sharing some thoughts with you all. I'll quit rambling now and we'll see how this works out
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 05:32 AM   #2
lx mike
Undescribable

Look it over good. nobody just wants to get rid of a car there always a reason. hers might be that things are starting to break/need work and she doesn't have the money casue she bought new car so the "ole mustang doesn't get any attention now. and don't just drop $500 off her price, if she is asking $5500 then offer around $4000-$4500. if she realy need to get rid of it she'll consider your offer.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 10:43 AM   #3
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I bought my 89 2 years ago. With 58k miles, it cost me $5200. $5500 for a 160k mile car seems a little high to me...unless the price of 5.0's have jumped in the last few years.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 12:18 PM   #4
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by lx mike
... and don't just drop $500 off her price, if she is asking $5500 then offer around $4000-$4500. if she realy need to get rid of it she'll consider your offer.
Hey, thanks lx mike. That is really good advice. I plan to look it over thoroughly.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 03-16-2003, 02:17 PM   #5
RBatson
Registered Member

I think thats high for 160k miles too.. sounds like she is being honest with ya though, she could have said it only had 60k miles. I'd definitely look it over good, which goes without saying.
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 05:12 PM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Well, I'm back from checking it out. Really nice car. Everything on it is pretty much perfect. No oil leaks, under the car or in the engine bay. Underneath is very clean. Oil looks good. Drove the car a few miles, runs pretty smooth, tranny seems smooth. Brakes a little loose but shouldn't be a problem. Moon roof. The shocks on the rear hatch are worn--need to be replaced-- no biggy. Tires got probably another 10-15,000 miles on them. Original Pony wheels. Flowmasters and new A/C compressor are the only major changes to the car. Keyless remote entry for both doors and hatch. Carpet and interior is pretty much perfect. Sounds and looks great. Don't really like the shifter. Shifts don't agree with me- not b/c there's anything wrong with it, it's just that they feel too close together. Decent amt of power (nothing like the '79 though ) Probably will run high to mid 14s in the 1/4 if I took it now.

Well, she said she couldn't take less on the car than $5000. I got it down to $4900. Seems like a sweet deal. But couldn't withdraw the cash today from the bank. I got a $500 daily withdrawal limit. She said another guy who said he works on Mustangs was coming to look at it tonight. I told her that I'll have to leave work tomorrow and get a cashiers check for the amount and if it's still there, I'll get it. If dude comes and buys it tonight then I know it wasn't meant for me to get it. (already prayed about it and asked God if it wasn't best for me to get it, don't let me be able to buy it) So I'm not worrying about it.

Like I said, I would've rathered a auto instead of manual, but b/c it's a good deal, I'm willing to make an acception. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

Old 03-16-2003, 05:15 PM   #7
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by RBatson
I think thats high for 160k miles too.. sounds like she is being honest with ya though, she could have said it only had 60k miles. I'd definitely look it over good, which goes without saying.
Yeah I know it's a tad high. 100,000 would have been perfect. Even still though, if it only had 60 to 80,000 original miles on it, then she'd be selling it for somewhere close to $6000 and I don't have that kind of money. So, that's why I'm kinda pursuing this. I can afford $4900, but hey, $4000 would even be better, but I know that's not gonna happen.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

Old 03-17-2003, 07:00 AM   #8
lx mike
Undescribable

Good Luck! hope it's still there when you can get back to her and don't let her play the " there someone else interested" game!
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote