MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-15-2001, 09:17 PM   #1
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Post Car with a salvage title

I found a 1992 Camaro RS that I would like to buy, but it has a salvage title. The car appears to be in good condition on the outside. I know it has been re-painted. I was thinking about taking this car to a mecanic and getting him to see if the frame was straight and if all of the suspension was good. Is there anyway I can find out why the car has a salvage title(through the motor vehicle dept., exc.). Should I even bother with a car with a salvage title.

------------------
1990 Dodge Dynasty with 175,000 miles. Mods:chiped paint, CD player. Sucks but it was free. Praying for a stang.
The "Guetto Glider"

P.S. watch out cobra owners it's a freak
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 12:11 AM   #2
rbatson

A car with a salvaged title has been totaled. The insurance company has paid to replace it and someone fixed it to drive or make alittle money. It will never be worth anything really, but it may be good transportation. The frame may or may not be bent. The cost of repairs versus the value of the car determines when the insurance company just totals it out instead of fixing it.... it cost more to repair than what its worth. I think its around %75 but I can't remember, I bought a wrecked car one time and had it fixed. It was a good car but it wasn't a $$ making deal. I hope you don't pay much for it if you decide to buy it.
Old 04-16-2001, 09:24 AM   #3
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

The car may look decent and run OK, but if it has been in a flood, you will have unending electrical problems.

Trying to trace and fix normal electrical problems is a pain in the butt, but a flood car will drive you absolutely nuts! You will have to be put in a cage...

------------------
'89 LX 5.0 - Original Owner
'94 E-150 Conversion Van
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 11:03 AM   #4
GONZO99TA
Registered Member

for the right price and if the car checks out ok, salvage cars are not bad.
i was looking at a 96 mustang gt that was a salvage title, too bad the guy did not want to deal to what i thought it was worth. some shmuck mustv'e bought it though, because it is gone now.
the key is to have it thoroughly checked and don't pay anywhere near what a non wrecked car is going for.
GONZO99TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 11:08 AM   #5
Foxtrot X-Ray
Registered Member

Hi there. I'm new here.
I haven't had much chance to go thru many message threads, but I thought I should pipe in on this one.
I work in my family's Auto Salvage Yard.
Along with selling used car parts, we also sell Rebuildable Wrecks.
In fact, The last FIVE vehicles (SIX if you count the 5.0 Mustang GT in progress)I've owned were rebuilt wrecks.

Take the car to your mechanic and have him/her check the car out.
If the car checks out good, pay what it's WORTH.
In the case of that Camaro, the NADA book value of the car is $7,275 The Salvage title knocks the worth down to around $5,125

------------------
If you can't take the heat, RUN.
Foxtrot X-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 01:17 PM   #6
98'MustangGT
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Man, there is a kid in my school that bought a 94' Mustang GT for $2,000 and fixed it up ( the car has problems, lowered improperly, crappy rims, rips in interior, etc. ) and sold it about a week ago for $10,000!!! It has 88,000 miles on it and its a crash salvage! I was like , WTF!!?! Its still in auto trader, here is the ad: (sorry, I don't know how to make it into a link )http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=60915975&dealer_id=&certified =n&max_price=&start_year=1994&end_year=1994&addres s=56282&search_type=used&make=FORD&model =MUST&distance=50&car_year=1994&ac_afflt=none&bors chtid=13338061882074454906

The picture is nice and looks ok but man, some poor idiot got a load.......

------------------
1998 Mustang GT with a 4.6 liter V8, Black

[This message has been edited by 98'MustangGT (edited 04-16-2001).]
98'MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2001, 09:43 PM   #7
rbatson

Thumbs down

First of all, I wouldn't pay $5k for a RS Camaro with a clean title. With a salvaged title I wouldn't pay over $1500. A salvaged title will knock off much much more than $1150 on ANY car that I'd think about buying. I realize that alot of junk yards get these cars for next to nothing, heck the storage bill is sometimes high as hell.. subtract that from the value of the vehicle and the juck yard is almost getting it for free(in some cases). I wouldn't buy a car with a salvaged title for any more than transportation or a drag strip only car. Most people wouldn't but one. You would be hard pressed selling it, I don't think you can get it financed.

The guy who sold the 94 Mustang for $10k with a salvaged title.. If he didn't disclose this information he may be in for the headache of his life. Dishonesty does not pay off!! Just hearing about someone screwing someone else like this makes me mad. I hope the "idiot" takes him to court. If it was disclosed then... he is an idiot!
Old 04-16-2001, 11:51 PM   #8
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

ugh that Stang looks like a piece...you can tell by the front wheel bowing out that it is lowered crappily, and lowering it onto 16x7 stock wheels?? LAME!

I'd be careful if I were you..don't pay too much and have that puppy checked out

good luck! and keep us posted!

------------------
Elisha (Mustangbelle)
1994 GT: Cartech intake,4.10s, full exhaust, and pulleys.
Sold the 1986 LX sedan
http://www.geocities.com/mustangbelle_306
AOL name: GT306Chick

Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 07:10 AM   #9
scott93gt
Registered Member

Thumbs down

I have to agree with the others here, unless you plan on keeping the car or selling it later to an individual, don't buy it. I work for a Ford dealer and when someone comes in with an "R" title (RECONSTUCTED), we dramatically reduce trade value. The cars are just too hard to resell and dealers are always more accountable for a car than an individual. Keep looking, there is a Mustang out there for you somewhere.

------------------
Scott93GT
1993 Mustang GT
Silver CC/Titanium Accent GT, Black Clothe interior.
5 speed, 3.08's, 3 chamber Flows, K&N, Hurst Competition Plus.

1991 F150 4x4 XLT Lariat
Six Stick Regular Cab LWB Tow Vehicle

scott93gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2001, 10:19 AM   #10
Foxtrot X-Ray
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163:
I found a 1992 Camaro RS that I would like to buy, but it has a salvage title. The car appears to be in good condition on the outside. I know it has been re-painted. I was thinking about taking this car to a mecanic and getting him to see if the frame was straight and if all of the suspension was good. Is there anyway I can find out why the car has a salvage title(through the motor vehicle dept., exc.). Should I even bother with a car with a salvage title.
It occurs to me, nobody actually answered the question.
Call the DMV with the Car's Vehicle Identification Number.
This number is in several places on the car. Don't trust the one on the Dash. If THAT'S been replaced, odds are that the VIN plate is from the doner car.

"A car with a salvaged title has been totaled"
Wrong-O, George.
We've had Theft Recovery Vehicles with with NO DAMAGE AT ALL with Salvage Titles.
All the salvage title means is that the Insurance Company has PAID the claim on the car.
A $35,000 300ZX with $200 hail damage is NOT totalled, is it?
The Lexus we just sold a week ago with the stereo and wheels stolen isn't totalled, is it?
Some states will allow the title to be upgraded from Salvage to Previously Salvage, and some will allow you to upgrade to Clean.
Check *ANY* car you are looking at to buy.

"First of all, I wouldn't pay $5k for a RS Camaro with a clean title"
Niether would I. I don't like Camaros.
But none the less, the costs I posted *ARE* direct quotes from the NADA guide, so our opinions of a particular type of car aren't of much bearing.

------------------
If you can't take the heat, RUN.
Foxtrot X-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2001, 12:32 AM   #11
les1
Registered Member

Red face

i buy "totaled' cars all the time from these places as said previously before me there is nothing wrong with most of them or damage is minor i wont buy a really messed up car to fix whats the point? the iroc i sold was a recovery the iroc badges were missing is that a total? Think not. Point is check the car out make an offer if not accepted move on.
les1 is offline   Reply With Quote