MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2002, 12:52 AM   #1
LxMustangRacer
Registered Member

Default A Soldier's Christmas

I saw this posted on another forum, http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/ and really liked it. -Phil

A Soldier's Christmas

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS, HE LIVED ALL ALONE, IN A ONE BEDROOM HOUSE MADE OF PLASTER AND STONE.

I HAD COME DOWN THE CHIMNEY WITH PRESENTS TO GIVE, AND TO SEE JUST WHO IN THIS HOME DID LIVE.

I LOOKED ALL ABOUT, A STRANGE SIGHT I DID SEE, NO TINSEL, NO PRESENTS, NOT EVEN A TREE.

NO STOCKING BY MANTLE, JUST BOOTS FILLED WITH SAND, ON THE WALL HUNG PICTURES OF FAR DISTANT LANDS.

WITH MEDALS AND BADGES, AWARDS OF ALL KINDS, A SOBER THOUGHT CAME THROUGH MY MIND.

FOR THIS HOUSE WAS DIFFERENT, IT WAS DARK AND DREARY, I FOUND THE HOME OF A SOLDIER, ONCE I COULD SEE CLEARLY.

THE SOLDIER LAY SLEEPING, SILENT, ALONE, CURLED UP ON THE FLOOR IN THIS ONE BEDROOM HOME.

THE FACE WAS SO GENTLE, THE ROOM IN SUCH DISORDER, NOT HOW I PICTURED A UNITED STATES SOLDIER.

WAS THIS THE HERO OF WHOM I'D JUST READ? CURLED UP ON A PONCHO, THE FLOOR FOR A BED?

I REALIZED THE FAMILIES THAT I SAW THIS NIGHT, OWED THEIR LIVES TO THESE SOLDIERS WHO WERE WILLING TO FIGHT.

SOON ROUND THE WORLD, THE CHILDREN WOULD PLAY, AND GROWNUPS WOULD CELEBRATE A BRIGHT CHRISTMAS DAY.

THEY ALL ENJOYED FREEDOM EACH MONTH OF THE YEAR, BECAUSE OF THE SOLDIERS, LIKE THE ONE LYING HERE.

I COULDN'T HELP WONDER HOW MANY LAY ALONE, ON A COLD CHRISTMAS EVE IN A LAND FAR FROM HOME.

THE VERY THOUGHT BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE, I DROPPED TO MY KNEES AND STARTED TO CRY.

THE SOLDIER AWAKENED AND I HEARD A ROUGH VOICE, "SANTA DON'T CRY, THIS LIFE IS MY CHOICE;

I FIGHT FOR FREEDOM, I DON'T ASK FOR MORE, MY LIFE IS FOR MY GOD, MY COUNTRY, MY CORPS."

THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER AND DRIFTED TO SLEEP, I COULDN'T CONTROL IT, I CONTINUED TO WEEP.

I KEPT WATCH FOR HOURS, SO SILENT AND STILL AND WE BOTH SHIVERED FROM THE COLD NIGHT'S CHILL.

I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE ON THAT COLD, DARK, NIGHT, THIS GUARDIAN OF HONOR SO WILLING TO FIGHT.

THEN THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER, WITH A VOICE SOFT AND PURE, WHISPERED, "CARRY ON SANTA, IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY, ALL IS SECURE."

ONE LOOK AT MY WATCH, AND I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT. "MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND, AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT."

-written by a Marine stationed in Okinawa
Old 12-07-2002, 03:13 AM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

good one, thank's, he-- everyone wonder's why im crazy, but, i signed the papers, so no regret's, god bless everyone on watch now, dont know what else to say.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 11:55 AM   #3
69fastback
IRAQ VET

that was my christmas last year. I am so glad i got out of kuwait before it was my christmas agian this year. I know alot of people it will be this year. But like the writing said you don't worry about it and just do your job.

Thanks for the post that was awesome.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 06:57 PM   #4
LxMustangRacer
Registered Member

No regrets for sure, hopefully I don't change my mind later. I leave for bootcamp Jan 13(Marines). I'm only going reserves, so I probably won't have to deal with a situation like this. Who knows for sure. I have great respect for those who are out there right now.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:08 PM   #5
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

That was awesome. I'm so happy my brother can be home for x-mas (Air Force pilot)!!!!

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 12:02 AM   #6
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

That story sheds light into the world of a soldier, his mind and soul. At peace knowing Country is first, he second. Perhaps the ultimate gift~

There are many Veterans among us, even on this website. They are my friends, neighbors, and our Angels~

Anyone who served/serves can drink from my canteen~

Signed,

Disabled American Veteran
Old 12-25-2002, 11:08 PM   #7
LxMustangRacer
Registered Member

ttt - to remember those protecting us on Christmas
Old 12-25-2002, 11:24 PM   #8
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

You can bet your boots that our fighting men and women in the middle east, soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines alike deserve our utmost thanks and support.

Whether you agree with their use or not, they are serving their Commander-In-Chief, their Congress, their Country... in short, they are serving US.... In conditions that would have some prisoners rioting as inhumane, they work 12 hour shifts in peacetime and who knows during wartime... they do it all with a smile on their face, a sense of duty, and a love of country.

I truly believe that these men and women will soon be in harm's way as they finish a mission that fellow veterans and I were not allowed to do.

Whether they storm the sands of Iraq or take a hill in North Korea.... always remember that they may be fighting and dieing so you and I don't have to.

So tonight, Christmas night, I say a prayer for those brave souls on the wall. Keeping watch over us so we and our children may sleep in peace and freedom.

God Bless all of you.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 11:40 PM   #9
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

i know i replyed to this awhile back, but when i go to the garden of stones, which i plan on tomorrow, put a few flag's down for some guy's from my arty battery, they are gone, but i can't forget them, i will be joining them someday, we will have to pull a cover over our head to light a cig, eat some crappy food, & just wish we could go home & forget.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 03:14 AM   #10
digital3.3

when i go to europe either this summer or the summer after i plan on going to juno beach in france to visit the memorials there, got family members buried there.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:03 PM   #11
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Cool

It's always good to hear appreciation and also send it.
This year I sent mine along with one of my troops.
I hated to do it and fought like hell to keep him but thankfully he remains a credit to our service.

God Bless Those Americans On Foreign Soil Today and Evermore.
SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote