MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-03-2002, 02:48 AM   #1
Desert Rose
Registered Member

Unhappy Bad Weather......

I really want a Mustang but I have been reading that there no good in bad weather, they hate rain. Im looking into a 99'-2000 and I'm just now starting to think about my learners yes, I haven't gotten them yet, but I was thinking, if it's bad in rain and it rains quite a bit here, what should I do? First time driver in a car that hates wet roads? That cant be good. Is it just the tires? What? Any advice? Any body else have this problem? If so did you fix it and how? Thanks for readin'!

^^not mine^^
Desert Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 02:23 PM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

well i wrecked my gt in jan get rid of the goodyears & get better tire i prefer the khumo's myself my wreck was due to a lft front blowout ,my 3rd blow out in 1 year -HEY GOODYEAR YOU SUCK, but just dont speed in the rain,and you will be ok

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 03:11 PM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I really don't think Mustang's are any worse in the rain than any other car, when you have good tires on them. Some high performance tires have poor rain traction, but a new generation of them grip well.

The real problem is when you are racing around in the rain like it's dry out. Keep your foot in check, and you'll have no problems.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 03:28 PM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Default Mustangs in the rain

Desert Rose:

Mustangs are rear-wheel drive cars and quite powerful, so yes, they're more difficult to drive in wet weather - but not at all impossible or really dangerous.

You need good tires, preferably a water-shedding-style tread and of course you have to use common sense; start off easy and don't drive like an idiot (I've seen people do just that, than blame the Mustang when they spin out and crash it).

Many hundreds of thousands of Mustangs have been sold and most are still on the road
so they can't be that bad to drive in the rain, and I can guarantee you, they're really fun to drive on dry pavement!
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 03:52 AM   #5
Desert Rose
Registered Member

It just worries me, driving in its self scares me and it hurt me to think the car Id love to have was like that. I'll look into some tires thanks all! BTW anyone have a Mustang and dont drive it?

^^not mine^^
Old 03-04-2002, 12:39 PM   #6
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

yes but thats because it's still in the body shop but i will get right back in it ,if i ever get it back

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 01:13 PM   #7
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Default Re: Bad Weather......

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Rose
I really want a Mustang but I have been reading that there no good in bad weather, they hate rain....
Man, I'd love to know the source from which that excrement was spewed. That is one of the most blanket statements I've ever heard. It covers just about ALL sports/muscle cars nowadays. Yeah, ya think? I hope it's obvious tha if you drive fast cars fast and crazily in the rain, you gonna wreck 'em--simple. "They hate rain", what does that mean? HA ha. Then how are sooooooo many getting sold? The only reason I can think they are bad in the rain is b/c of the people who drive them: some morons who get a Mustang for the first time and think they are agent 007 now and have license to act a fool.

Just to be clear Desert Rose, I am not yelling at you. Mustangs, as do Camaros and most other muscle/sports (whatever you wish to call them) cars have limited slip positraction-type rear ends (this applies to the 2 back tires) so when you accelerate, power is distributed to both tires instead of one. Therefore, if you accelerate too hard on a wet road, especially while going around corners (which you shouldn't do anyway with any car), it is easier for the back wheels to "break loose" from the pavement b/c they are both turning at (pretty much) the same time. In most cheap economy cars, you don't have that. You'll only have one wheel to which power is given and therefore the other will still be rolling with the road. Moreover, many economy cars are front wheel drive cars so there is little to no chance of the back of the car fishtailing or spinning out while going around corners-- the 2 back tires are just rolling with the road (no acceleration from them) while power is being transferred through the front wheel.

I hope I have not insulted your intelligence, I just wanted to make sure you understand the difference b/t a high performance car and an economy car and the obvious differences that will occur b/t the 2.

You didn't specify, but you are probably just talking about getting the V6 Mustang so you can disregard all the fears of owning a high performance car . *snicker* (i'm just terrible )
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 10:34 PM   #8
Desert Rose
Registered Member

I wont be driving fast I'll be lucky to get the guts up to go 20MPH but I heard they were bad on the even IF you were going slow, but now that I see if you drive like a sane person you should be ok. and no i dont want a V6 I want a V8 dont ask why cause I wont use it but oh well.

^^not mine^^