MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-03-2002, 05:09 PM   #1
txsilver
Registered Member

Post Poor Fuel Economy. Any solutions?

Dear Mustang Friends:

I have a fuel economy problem in my 2000 Ford Mustang V6. If you could help me by answering my questions, I will appreciate it.

My problem is that I can only make 210 miles with 13.5 gallons of gas during winter time (which is 15 mpg). Is that normal? Or is it below average?

I took the car to the dealer and it was checked through all the diagnostics and they told me that everything seems OK. They could not find anything wrong with it. According to the diagnostic check my car is consuming 21 miles/gallon. But as I told you above, I can hardly make 15 miles/gallon.

What might be the problem?

P.S. I used to make 240 miles with 14 gallons of gas in the same period last year.
txsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 12:29 AM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Hmmm... I wonder if the thermostat is working properly. Perhaps they can get the car up to the proper temp on a roller where there is less airflow?

Does the gauge get up into the normal range for coolant temperature, or does it stay cold? Any check engine lights? I would consider 15mpg extremely poor for a new V6.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 04:09 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb gas mileage

According to your numbers, last year you were getting about 17 mpg, now you're getting 15.5.

Not a huge drop.

A number of factors could be involved, assuming you do exactly same kind of driving this year as last.

If you do more in-town (stop and go) driving, your gas mileage will drop.
If you need a tune-up (plugs, especially) gas mileage may drop. If you've put a lot of miles on the car - and resultant engine wear - gas mileage may drop. Carrying more weight in the car or even a tire change to one that has a softer tread compound might precipitate that 1.5 mpg drop you've experienced.

Lots of variables here and any combination of these could explain a 1.5 mpg drop, including a colder winter, as colder temperatures make the engine work harder and reduces gas mileage.

Finally, your gas gauge could simply be off a bit (they usually are) and this has skewed your mpg calculations.

As you've had the car diagnosed and it came up fine, I suspect some non-mechanical factor or a combination of small things to be the cause of the slight drop in gas mileage and I wouldn't be overly concerned.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote