MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-03-2002, 11:42 PM   #1
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Angry My House is FILLED WITH SMOKE!!!

AARRRRGGGHGHGHHHHGHGH!!!!!
Well, I had the bright idea of wanting to use my fireplace while i'm unpacking the livingroom....It has a gas burner, but its too big for the fireplace and can be dangerous, so i bought some paper logs today.(cuz its *******' COLD!) yes, I do have heat now. But my house is an open concept with extrememely high cielings and the heat rises....so ANYWAYS.....
I called my ex to make sure it was safe and the gas logs wont explode or anything, and he said to make sure the damper was open...well i did. Dumped black crap all over me. Well, I lit the log and all this smoke started barrelling into my house!!!!! Again, with the high ceilings, theres as much smoke upstairs as down. I freaked out (naturally!) and called him back and he said it should quit after a while. Well, it kept getting smokey, and I started getting paranoid, so I dumped water on it and put it out!!!!!! TALK ABOUT SMOKIN' THEN!!!!!! LOOKED LIKE A BONFIRE BEEN PUT OUT IN MY LIVINGROOM!!!! So, now i have the windows open and trying to air the place out while i'm working....uggh!
Well, back to unpacking, just wanted to enlighten everyone a little on the conitinuing folley's of my new house!!!!
TNT Tantrum n Texas

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 12:03 AM   #2
347MOM
Registered Member

Hey women!! I hope that you have good luck one day with that house. I cant wait till we come over and visit with you. Did all the smoke leave your house?

Girls can too's August "Mare of the Month"
347MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 12:22 AM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Ha ha. That post made me laugh topless Sorry for laughing at your troubles but it probably was b/c of how you told it. What do you think went wrong? Was it suppose to do that b/c it wasn't used for a long time or something? Can you just borrow a kerosene heater until you work it out?
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 01:00 AM   #4
Mustangmom2k
Registered Member

Haha! Rookie! (Sorry, just had to laugh. I know it wasn't funny, especially since you had to open windows when you were trying to get warm!)

When the air outside is cold, and you first open the flue, all that cold outside air rushes down into the house. You have to pre-heat the flue by lighting something small, like a rolled up sheet of newspaper, and holding it there for a few seconds. Then yu light the main fire. Otherwise, the cold air will shove the smoke right into the house. Once the flue is heated up, the smoke should start to rise up the chimney. Sometimes you have to open a window a crack to get a positive draw up the flue.

Are you sure that the flue is a real one? You said it was a gas fireplace, so maybe it doesn't have a real, functional flue. Either that, or there's something blocking it...a bird's nest or something.
Best ET-13.587 @100.63 Best RT .500 (really!)
------ 234 RWHP 279 RWTQ
GirlsCanToo Oct. Mare of the Month

Son #1 - '87 GT 331 stroker and 03 Cobra Son #2 - '89 LX 5.0 stock notchback and 89 LX hatchback w/lots of goodies
Mustangmom2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 01:11 AM   #5
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking NOW YA TELL ME!!!!

HMMMM.....I Freaked out and didn't feel like having to hook up to my nebulizer tonight!!!! ahahahahaha....*******' birds.... yeah, its a functional flue, but i didn't wanna go outside to see if there was any smoke....Hey, why dont you (MOM) fly down here and check it out for me???? hahahahaha....I was just worried that the gas logs could explode or something. I could see that happening too! I"m not used to cold weather here. Usually about this time, I 'm started on my TAN!!!!!!! uggghhhh!!!!!! Gotta get back to UNPACKING now...will it ever end????? I"m starting to wonder. All the guys have decided...I have too much sh**. Cant wait to get to the point where i can actually take some pics!!! uggghhh! I dont seem to remember moving into the apt. a year ago being this big of a pain in the *****!!!!!!!!
BUT.... I got a new BADA$$ computer desk!!!! its still in the box! Cant wait to set it all up! Its HUGE! Hope it fits in my room!!!! heheh

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 02:20 AM   #6
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Wink

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist, but it will all work out, there are always a few bugs to work out when you get a new place, you just have to learn how everything works!
Old 03-04-2002, 08:05 AM   #7
lx mike
Undescribable

Just soemthign else for you to laugh about in the future when your all settled in.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 10:07 AM   #8
mustangdani55
Registered Member

I'll bet it was cold down in houston...After all Dallas got an ice storm...We had some snow here, but nothing major comppared to what they had in big D

Sorry you are having so many problems. You'll get it figured out I have faith in you Christine
Old 03-04-2002, 10:09 AM   #9
gt lee

Wow, Christine you sure do have the luck and I don;t mean good luck, whens it ever going to stop for ya, soon I hope, I can just imanage how you were running around I know I would have, and going crazy at the same time hahahaha I know its not really funny but now that its over I guess you can sit back and laugh now, well keep your chin up hopefully all the crap will be over soon and you can sit and enjoy a good fire, keep on pluggin Lee
Old 03-04-2002, 10:50 AM   #10
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Sorry to say this, but it looks like you bought a house with a lot of undisclosed problems the previouse owner had.

I sure would be sitting on the home inspector's desk (if you had one done), or the realtor's desk raising a little heck.

Some of the problems you've had, just don't all of a sudden arise. It's a shame you've had to put out all this extra cash to fix theses problems that already existed.

Hopefully you're squared away, and nothing else new surprises you.
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 07:23 PM   #11
PKRWUD

Somebody should be writing this stuff down. I'm sensing a best seller here.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 09:02 PM   #12
kystang86
Registered Member

dont feel bad we just bought a house with fireplace. we thought it would be nice to light a big ol fire! so we did, without opening the darn flu.lmao we both looked like buckwheat. i feel your pain. it will get better....p.s. halon fire ext. will be nice investment too...