MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-04-2002, 01:14 PM   #1
2002 Roush Vert
Registered Member

Default Car Craft Mustang Slam

In the April 2002 Car Craft in the Point of View Editor’s Letter Column (Matt King) wrote an article entitled It Takes All Kinds. This article went through his description of different types of car guys and the types of cars they drive. It was mildly amusing until I got to the following passage:

“Rice Boy isn’t just an import phenomenon. Like a squirrel attracted to shiny objects, Rice Boy can’t hose his car down with enough gee-gaws and doo-dads he sees in magazine ads or hanging on the rack at the auto parts store. Rice Boy’s car looks like it drove through Pep Boys with a magnet on it. He usually drives a new Mustang.”

Now this is one of the greatest insults I have ever read. The Mustang is one of the greatest cars ever built as attested by its over 38 years of popularity. Rice Boys drive Rice not great American Muscle Cars. EVERYONE STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING RIGHT NOW AND EXPRESS YOU INDIGNATION AT THIS SLAM BY E-MAILING THE CAR CRAFT EDITOR AT:

carcraft@primediacmmg.com
Irvine, California
2002 Roush Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 01:31 PM   #2
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

I wrote him... what an idiot.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:57 PM   #3
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs down

"Rice boy" can come in any form, yes, even a Mustang.

"Rice Boy’s car looks like it drove through Pep Boys with a magnet on it. He usually drives a new Mustang.”

But that statement of his was so dumb and inaccurate, I'm not even sure it's worth getting angry about. Editors such as Matt King is one of the many reasons I could care less about Car Craft .
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 02:16 PM   #4
RAINSTANG
Registered Member

This moron hack just got my 2 cents too. He probably drives a Yugo.
92GT,K&N, air silencer removed, MAC equal length shorty headers,9mm FMS wires, 2 chamber Flowmasters, Hurst Billet Plus,King Cobra clutch,FMS aluminum drive shaft,FMS 3:55's, KYB struts, shocks & quads.
RAINSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 11:21 AM   #5
7000rpmisheaven
Registered Member

No, he probably drives a riced out honda civic. He probably thinks it is the coolest thing on wheels too.
milodon water pump, FMS 9mm wires, aluminum driveshaft, king cobra clutch
7000rpmisheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 03:49 PM   #6
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Angry Mustang Rice?

Idiotic statement for a car magazine editor to make - in public. He's probably just clueless as to what constitutes 'rice'.

There is a very wide chasm between those who own and drive Japanese cars and sport stupid accessories like fart pipes, garish paint jobs and pounds of 'racing' decals and those who own and drive American muscle cars and add accessories that increase or enhance actual performance.

This Matt King guy, as a car magazine editor, should be well aware of that obvious fact. I suspect he's the kind of guy that hates most anything that isn't in his particular ballpark, and that would seem to include Mustangs. Probably a '55 Chevy-type guy who doesn't think anything made after 1965 is any good, or else he just doesn't get out much.

Anyway, who reads Car Craft and who could possibly cares what 'Matt King' thinks?
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 04:17 PM   #7
father joe
Registered Member

Exclamation I hate to butt in, but...

I know your mad at his comments - I am too - but you guys that are saying he probably drives a Yugo or a riced out Honda Civic are completely wrong.

In an issue awhile back he stated in an article that he drove a 63 Falcon which got stolen and then a 65 Falcon that met a Merc or Caddy (or something like that) at hot August nights so in reality he is a Ford guy like us but is playing to the GM crowd right now.
father joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 04:34 PM   #8
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation Clueless at Car Craft

Quote:
Originally posted by father joe

...he stated in an article that he drove a 63 Falcon which got stolen and then a 65 Falcon...
As I guessed, he's an 'old car' fan and disses anything made much after the '60's - including late-model Mustangs - which he foolishly confuses with Japanese econo-cars made to look 'fast' but consisting of mostly paint and decals.

As I said; he's clueless.
Matt King should stick to writing about what he knows best - old cars - and not attempt to comment on 'ricers' and make inccurate and annoying comments about the modern car scene, of which he obviously understands little if he can lump Mustangs with 'Ricers'.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 05:50 PM   #9
Coupe Devil

Default Re: Clueless at Car Craft

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0

As I guessed, he's an 'old car' fan and disses anything made much after the '60's - including late-model Mustangs - which he foolishly confuses with Japanese econo-cars made to look 'fast' but consisting of mostly paint and decals.

As I said; he's clueless.
Matt King should stick to writing about what he knows best - old cars - and not attempt to comment on 'ricers' and make inccurate and annoying comments about the modern car scene, of which he obviously understands little if he can lump Mustangs with 'Ricers'.
YYYY..Y....Y..Y.Y......YY.....YEAH, What he said.

I totally agree Mr 5 0. There are some people that are jsut this way. I would love to have a 65 Fairlane that I could make perform in stock trim like the Mustangs and other performance cars of today. Iwould love to see a 65 Fairlane EFI TT 351, with a tough c4, 9 inch and about 4.10 gears. But it just isnt as common place now-a-days and he jealous that a larger percentage of the aftermarket crowd is know jumpin into the more modern tuner type performance products.

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 09:07 PM   #10
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one, his just stinks.

*******' are everywhere.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:25 PM   #11
srv1
Get down.....

maybe he did that to get attention? who knows. maybe he wants to see what kind of replies he has so he can put it in his article? hmmm....
Old 03-06-2002, 12:51 AM   #12
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by srv1
maybe he did that to get attention? who knows. maybe he wants to see what kind of replies he has so he can put it in his article? hmmm....
Hmmm. I guess you got a point there. Who would dare make such a stupid statement unless he really desired attention. But like I said b4, his opinion is worthless to me-- I could care less.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 08:57 AM   #13
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Quote:
But that statement of his was so dumb and inaccurate, I'm not even sure it's worth getting angry about. Editors such as Matt King is one of the many reasons I could care less about Car Craft .

I agree, I only get this mag if they have a really got articule, but thats rare.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote