MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-12-2001, 11:53 AM   #1
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

Question Subframe Connectors

I am thinking about buying subframe connectors for my pony. Once I get them, I am going to have them welded on. How and where exactly do they go on the underneth of the car? Is there any thing that I need to do before/while I am installing them? Do I need to take off my H-pipe? I am getting the seat braces as well. If you know of any website with step-by-step instructions would help as well. I have a hatchback if that helps.

------------------
Cyberstang5.0
1992 Mustang GT 5.0
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 06:26 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

If you look at the underside of your stang, there are rectangular tubular-looking parts on either side that somewhat resemble frame rails running from front to back on the front and rear subframes. These parts do not run the whole length of the car, thus you add subframe connectors to connect them. Most subframe connectors I have seen have a part that runs perpendicular to the connector with holes where the front seats bolt into the car (Fox body floorpans are notorious for tearing at these spots after awhile), so if you find where the seat is attached to the floor under the car and look directly towards the front and back of the car from right between these two points, you will see the 'rails' that the connectors weld to.

------------------
2000GT Atlantic Blue: Cobra R Wheels-17x9 255/40/17, 17x10.5 315/35/17, tubular K-member & control arms, Tokico 5-ways, coil overs, sway bars, strut/shock tower bars, 70mm FMS throttle body, Saleen nose.
79 Pace Car: Maximum Motorsports suspension - H&R Race springs, Bilsteins, rear control arms, chassis bracing, Draglites, 302 w/ Edelbrock Performer intake, cam and 600cfm carb, BBK equal-lengths & H-pipe, 2.5" Flowmaster 2chmbr exhaust, Al Driveshaft, 8.8 trak-loc, TCI C4 w/ 2000 stall, B&M
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 06:56 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb

The subframe connectors you purchase should have clear instructions with them; mine did (Global-West).

You need to have clean spots for the welds of course and paint the welds so the metal doesn't rust.

My gas lines had to be moved out of the way (just pushed aside, not disconnected) and tied back with a plastic tie. No big deal.

You'll love the effect the subframe connectors have on handling. Good investment.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote