MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-28-2001, 01:06 AM   #21
skiwesser
Registered Member

First off, the acting was WEAK, as
was the story, more racing less talking
would have made it much better.

The first car the cop had (eclipse)had
a neon motor in it!! It would'nt do 140
with nitrous and Billy Glidden pulling
it behind his PRO 5.0
The supra would not even see the wheel
hanging hemi

If I hear anyone around here call
nitrous "nos" I shall slap them

My brother has a integra Type R and I
love the way it sounds so I did like
most of those cars but I would'nd see
it agian for free
skiwesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 10:25 AM   #22
newbie2
Registered Member

Well, here's my little opinion.
I have to say as of RIGHT NOW, I don't know
squat about cars...and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I do, however, want to learn as much as I can; and I am planning on getting me a Mustang GT fairly soon...whoops...getting off the subject.
I thought the movie was great. I DO HATE those little "ricers" though. I really don't know what they can do and cannot do, but I enjoyed it. **Or could it be I just LOOOVE Vin Diesel???** lol...maybe that was it. No, seriously, I did think it was entertaining as a movie. I thought a few things in it were kinda' funny and I don't know ANYTHING about cars...
I just figured I'd give my 2 cents.
newbie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 11:09 AM   #23
dinomite
The Dude

First thing you have to know is that the charger in hte movie is the only car in the world that can do a wheelie AND burnout at the same time.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 11:37 AM   #24
jimberg
Registered Member

I'm going to examine that footage some more, but I believe the smoke came after the car lifted, not at the same time. It is possible for a car to do the wheelie and then lose traction on the way up. The funny thing, though, is that a car that can do a wheelie like that would most likely have a wheelie bar or something.

Newbie2, the problem with that movie is that you know less about cars than before you watched it.

The www.thefastandthefurious.com website has the specs on some of the cars. Not one of them was a ten second car. Most of them could only do 12s.
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 10:31 PM   #25
Stang Runner
Registered Member

They car way being towed And that is why it looks a bit odd
website has the specs on some of the cars. Not one of them was a ten second car. Most of them could only do 12s.
14.1 with NOS man That is slow!!!!1
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2001, 12:37 AM   #26
jimberg
Registered Member

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the Charger did a real wheelie or anything. I'm just saying it's possible for a real car to do a wheelie and then lose traction.
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 02:19 PM   #27
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation

O.K., I finally saw 'Fast and Furious' at the $5. matinee with Mrs. 5.0 (Tina) and it was intersesting but - as many have already stated - full of holes in plot and especially in auto tech issues. That said, overall we liked it, as our expectations were low to begin with and the movie turned out to be somewhat better than we expected. Lots of somewhat unrealistic but still riviting racing scenes and man, it sure was noisy!

In my experience, almost every movie where cars and/or racing is involved has a weak plot and generally second-rate acting.
'Bullitt' is the rare exception and that has only one one 8-minute chase scene - but it's a great one and - with the exception of the cars slamming down on the front suspension about a dozen times at high speed with no noticable damage - very realistic.
In most 'car' films, the 'car stuff' is always absurd; such as 160 MPH ricers and ten shifts per quarter-mile 'race'. Right.
The producers depend on audience ignorance and it usually works, plus the music is distracting enough to keep your mind off the details, like why the young 'cop' has never been to the police/FBI headquarters before that fake 'arrest' scene. Then, the senior cop tells him how "This house was built for Elizabeth Taylor by Eddie Fisher". Why does this matter? Never mind.

I spent some of the film explaining a few things to Mrs. 5.0, such as how Nitrous Oxide works and why no one who knows anything refers to it as 'NOS" (which is a brand-name) and that 'Ricers' need it to keep up with the Mustangs and Camaros on the street racing scene. She also thought that the races were a bit unrealistic but still exciting if you suspended rational analysis for awhile, which we did, so we could enjoy the film.

For me - as for others here - the best part of the film were the ending scenes involving the Dodge Charger with the blown big-block.
When that beast comes into view and we get the sound of honest-to-God American car muscle instead of Japanese encono-cars-on-steroids whine...and then the wheelie and the race!
I told Tina that one scene says it all about why I can never get into the Japenese 4-cylinder econo-car stampede as long as we have American V-8 muscle to drive, race and just enjoy. I respect any fast car regardless of 'nationality' or cylinder count, but there is simply no real substitute for the raw power of a V-8 and especially a maxed-out 9 or 10-second car, like the pumped-up old Dodge Vin Diesel drove in the end of the movie. That was a beast!
The sound of the V-8 (coming after all those whiny 'muscle cars') and that unexpected and dramatic wheelie were easily worth the $5. admission price.

Now, if only Vin and his gang could have figured out that robbing trucks while they are parked is a whole lot easier than robbing them when they are going down the highway at 60 MPH, a lot of grief and a lot of Hondas might have been saved.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2001, 03:42 PM   #28
Power
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang Runner:
18-25 year olds prefer imports by a large margin I am in that age and hate Imports

I am in that age group too Stang Runner and I don't exactly hate all imports but I will never buy one if Ford continues to make automobiles.
Power is offline   Reply With Quote