MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-19-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
Guitarzan
Registered Member

Default Hey everyone

I first wanna say hi to everyone. I'm new here and I'm a soon to be mustang owner (hopefully). I'm 26 and from the Orlando area. So heres my first question to you all. I'm kinda strained for cash, I don't make a lot right now but I want a mustang. I found one that seems like a great deal but I could be wrong.....Its a 2003 with 13k miles for $12k. This is by far the cheapest I've found so far. I ran a carfax on it and couldn't find anything but that doesn't mean much. Just looking for some advice on how I can trust this isn't a lemon or anything or any other advice you all might have. Here 's a pic of it

Attached Images
File Type: bmp 96194813.bmp (316.5 KB, 3 views)
Guitarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 07:46 AM   #2
scott93gt
Registered Member

Default Re: Hey everyone

Welcome to Mustangworks. As a former car sales person of Ford vehicles I can offer a few tips. First tip, this is a Ford on what would appear to be a Chevrolet lot. This means they probably don't know much about the cars packaging and what was standard and what was optional equipment. From the picture I can see the "pony stripe" on the door. This was actually called the "Pony Package" and was only available on the upper two of the three 6 cyl. models. The car should have power windows, power locks, power seat, 6 disc cd changer (in dash), cruise and tilt. It looks like it has the 16" wheels. Second tip, it most likely wasn't a rental. One sure fire dead give away for rental mustangs are door moldings (a piece of body colored plastic in the middle of the door running the length of the door). In 2000 or 2001, these were taken from the optional equipment list and made "Fleet Only" options: rental cars. Third tip, look at Kelly Blue Book online: www.kbb.com I checked this site and looked at "trade in value" This is what the car dealer would look at when appraising the car. Condition would be evaluated and entered accordingly. Car dealers almost always deduct from this number to allow for recondintioning the car. I assumed a mileage of 30,000. The trade in value for this car in excellent condition is about $10,000. If you were trading this car in the exact way it sat you could expect the dealer to invest about $9000. Fourth tip, the car market is slow and dealers are feeling the pinch. Any reasonable deal they may accept. I would negotiate for a number lower than what they are advertising as the sale price. Just my opinion.
Once again, welcome to Mustangworks.
5 speed, Hurst Competition Plus, 3 chamber Flows, 3.08's.

2010 VW GTI 2dr 6MT
(no pictures yet)

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
scott93gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 03:26 PM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile Re: Hey everyone

If you want it, buy it. With that kind of (low) mileage, there is little risk involved. Offer $11,000. - and go from there. You should be able to get this particular Mustang (which looks very nice) for no more than $11,500.

As for having some sort of absolute guarantee of reliability, that isn't completely possible with any car - but you can always invest in an expensive, overpriced 'extended warranty' if you are all that nervous about buying this two-year-old, six-cylinder Mustang. The CarFax report is a good guide (but not infallible, as you know) and if the Mustang actually has only 13,000 miles, it's hardly broken in.

Another factor to consider: a 6 cylinder Mustang is usually not bought to race or beat on. Quite possibly the previous owner was female and traded the car for more space, better gas mileage or because she really wanted an SUV. Maybe a young couple had a baby and needed a bigger car or perhaps the previous owner couldn't afford the payments any longer. I doubt it was traded because it was a 'lemon' - but ask for any available service records for the car and see what you get, if anything. Meanwhile, decide if you want the car or not and make the dealer an offer - or keep looking.

Good luck.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:43 PM   #4
Guitarzan
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. I will start off by offering them a real low amount and go from there. Here's all it says about it on the page:

2003 Ford Mustang 2DR Price: $11,990

Click photo to enlarge
SPECIFICATIONS:
EXTERIOR COLOR: Black
MILEAGE: 13,658
BODY TYPE: CAR
BODY STYLE: Coupe
ENGINE: 3.8L 6 cyl Fuel Injection
STOCK NUMBER: 25469A
VIN: 1FAFP40473F325381

TAKE ACTION:
Request more information
Back to search results
Search Again
FEATURES:
# Air Conditioning
# Power Brakes
# Power Steering
# Power Windows
# Tilt Steering Wheel

Any final advice before I head to look at this car tomorrow morning? Also if anyone can locate any cars online or wherever in my area, orlando, FL area, id love a few links or whatever

thanks again
Old 05-20-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
RBatson
Registered Member

Low mileage is no guarantee that it hasn't been damaged. Look it over real good for any inconsistency in the paint. Make sure the door jabs, trunk lid and hood have what appears to be an equal gap. The gap on one side of the hood should be the same as the other, a sure sign of front damage if they are not. If you are not sure, take it to a body shop. They will be able to tell you in about 30 seconds if the car has had any damage done. Check the insurance rate before you buy it. It shouldn't be too bad for a 6 cyl car but it doesn't hurt to check. Don't let them pass anything pass you that says anything like "more than 25% damage".

My dad always told me that "they'll build another 1000 cars tomorrow", that frame of mind has always saved me alot of money.

Good luck.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:47 PM   #6
Guitarzan
Registered Member

well everyone I went and looked at this thing today and I inspected it best I could and all seemed well with it. It has the usual wear and tear of an almost 3 yr old car but looks great. it runs smooth too.....The price was labeled $11,990 and after tax, tag and all that the out the door cost came to around $13,000, and so the negotiations began.

Half an hour later I signed my name on the dotted line for a total out the door cost of $10,200

I'm loving it so far and it feels great to finally own a mustang, thanks again everyone
Old 05-21-2005, 05:59 PM   #7
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Guitarzan - Welcome to Mustangworks and the wonderful world of Mustangs! Looks like you have found yourself a nice Mustang. I hope Jane likes it, but don't let the Monkey drive

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 04:23 PM   #8
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Thumbs up Re: Hey everyone

Glad to hear some of our advice helped you out - and congratulations on becoming a Mustang owner!

Best of luck with your new 'Stang.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:21 PM   #9
RBatson
Registered Member

Saved $2800, not too shabby.

Congrats on the new ride!
RBatson is offline   Reply With Quote