MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-28-2005, 09:19 PM   #1
Rollinastang
Registered Member

Default Help Me out somebody please!!!

I got an 03 V6 convertible. i was stopped at a light today in the drive gear and i was putting up my windows cuz it started raining when the window was all the way up i accidently pressed the button again for it to go up more and when i did my engine bogged down like 300 RPM's.(Almost felt like it was missing) also when i am cruising at like 40MPH and i let off my gas and decellerate the car kinda jerks a little bit around 30-20MPH then it stops until i stop.it kinda makes your head go front to back like the brake is catching or something....all i have in upgrades currently is K&N cold air induction, neon lights and glowing gauges...i have an MAC exhaust system, from the headers back in my room awaiting installation but i dont want to do that in case i have to take it to the shop for the reason stated above.(cold air intake is easy to take off and put the stock one back in exhaust is not)...does someone no what is wrong? i damn near bought a new 130amp alternator today cuz i thought maybe i needed more power. I did consult a dealer 2 months after i bought my car in july of 04 about this problem...they said it was my K&N air intake, and said it screwed up the timing...i dont beleive them...they are butt-cracks telling me they can't do anthing about it...i then put it in storage and kinda forgot about it until today.....should i seek more help from another dealer or does any one out there have any ideas for me....PLEASE HELP I WANT TO PUT ON MY EXHAUST!!!!! OH yeah and i also i was looking into getting a BBK 70mm high flow throttle body. Does anyone have one or know anythign about them....i found an MAC 70mm throttle body for $169.00 and the BBK 70mm throttle body is $249.00.....do you think the BBK is better than the MAc or are the similar? IS it worht the extra money is what i am saying or is the MAC gonna do exactly the same as the BBK....they both say 12HP gain?? ALSO is an MAC Mass airflow sensor replacement a good idea or will it do nothing to improve my power....

03 Mustang convertible V6, Sonic Blue with black top, K&N air intake, MAC dual 2.5in H-Pipe, MAC 2.5in cat-back exhaust with 3in stainless tips, custom Slime Blue gauge cluster, Alpine Head Unit, 4 Alpine 6x8 thumpin speakers in doors and rear panel!
Rollinastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
Stangette
Registered Member

Default Re: Help Me out somebody please!!!

Sounds like the trannie is slipping a little bit and the throttle timing may be off some - it happened to me couple of years back on V6 - 3.8 L, 5 sp.
Stangette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Well, my first question would be "Is it repeatable?"
Does the engine bog whenever theres a load on the electrical sys? (If so, one accessory, or all?)When the engine bogged, did it come right back up as soon as the load was removed?
And could you elaborate about this part:"also when i am cruising at like 40MPH and i let off my gas and decellerate the car kinda jerks a little bit around 30-20MPH then it stops until i stop."
(My current understanding: You let off the gas, and as the car decelerates, it bucks/misses? Its stopping as soon as the car stops rolling and goes back to idle?)

Not great with the newer cars, but trying to help,
J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
Rollinastang
Registered Member

weel the electrical thing first...it doesent matter what accesories are on when ever i hold the window button down and the window gets all the way up if i hold it a few seconds longer the engine bogges down when i let off the button the engine goes back to regular operation...this may be normal but i am not sure....and the second thing....your understang is almost correct..but it stops doing the bucking or missing as soon as it shifts back down into 1st gear then it will stop...it drives realitivly normal unless i accelerate at full throttle from a complete stop when it hits like 60mph it starts sounding funny.....like i said before i don't abuse my car as it had only like 6800miles on it and i tune it up all the time (oil changes) i am soo confused and frusterated right now i have an appointment at the dealer on monday but i know them people can be they can give you the run around so i would like some ideas when i go there so they dont think i am a dummy...lol...thanks for trying to help i hope this additional info is helpful..

03 Mustang convertible V6, Sonic Blue with black top, K&N air intake, MAC dual 2.5in H-Pipe, MAC 2.5in cat-back exhaust with 3in stainless tips, custom Slime Blue gauge cluster, Alpine Head Unit, 4 Alpine 6x8 thumpin speakers in doors and rear panel!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:43 AM   #5
Stangette
Registered Member

heavy load on generating syatem (alternator) while accelerating would show as an increased demand on your guages - but this should not affect the acceleration of the engine in a newer car - only ones 12+ years old -say - it would stop when going back down into first because you are thru with higher gears and not able to shift anymore - should not sound funny at 60 mph - it should go on into fourth or overdrive (depending on how you are driving) ... hope this helps
Old 05-02-2005, 08:53 AM   #6
Stangette
Registered Member

by the way, your Stang is awesome !!
Old 05-14-2005, 06:02 PM   #7
Rollinastang
Registered Member

had it at the shop the other day they said nothign was wrong with it, when i got home i checked for the problems they were all gone...dont know if they just fixed it and said nothignwas wrong(they had it for 2 days) or it just worked itself out....thanks on the compliment on my stang i love it!

Old 05-16-2005, 08:22 AM   #8
Stangette
Registered Member

No problem - did they bill you for the service? (and they should have given you a written estimate and work order even before you signed the car in) - - a professional shop would - 2 days in w/ no explaination would not be acceptable to me -i would ask for a proper explaination -
Old 05-27-2005, 01:22 AM   #9
jgt58
Registered Member

when you put on your intake did you mess with the throttle at all? If so it might be your throttle position sensor that is what corrects your timing.
jgt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:21 AM   #10
reconman
Registered Member

On to the other part of your message, the BBK is a better quality then the MAC. Which ever one you decide to use, stick with it throughout the entire engine. Don't mix the parts, otherwise you'll have alot of headaches over what went wrong if your engine goes down.
reconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #11
commart
Registered Member

This is my first year of Mustang ownership, a 2000 3.8 / 6 with now about 65,000 miles on it (up from 60k when I picked it up a couple of months ago) , so a) consider the source of the note and b) the source is inclined to go very slowly as regards saying anything about the breed.

1. I believe my ride -- note the word "believe": man, am I going to hedge! -- possibly yours too, has a computer that works with you to optimize the vehicle's response to your driving habits. Whether you lose data or alter systems ecology, the computer will try to work through its algorithms.

2. I have a senior mechanic I believe in and trust, and he has a young employee who has Mustang mod projects of his own going in his off duty hours. As a know nothing, I could not ask for better, more experienced, and focused support. My approach at the moment is to consider modifications only if the proposal works front-to-back through the system primarily affected and makes sense with associated functions.

With a stock machine, I have the V6 ride designed by Ford engineers and the line's design and marketing teams. It's been a pretty good show. For the first time in my life, I am driving for the sheer pleasure of it (I can afford the car and gasoline: I'm not so sure about the waterfront restaurants where it likes to cool down while its driver does the same). I don't know enought today to avoid making changes that affect variables of which I am not yet aware and that may result in degraded efficiency, feel, or reliability even while kicking up performance power.

3. Mid-life crisis: for sure -- and may the Pony work its magic on it, lol. I'm getting 65MPH at 2,000RPM; at least one 4.5 hour open highway benchmark of 28.5MPG (that's a tank range above 400 miles): why oh why oh why would I want to fool myself into thinking she's an 8 with a baseline 300HP? That's age talking, of course. And I may want a more powerful vehicle in a couple of years (when I'm old enough), but right now, because of her looks and throat, no joke, I've had bikers pulling wheelies and muscle cars revving behind and 8-cylinder sedans getting itchy, also one tractor trailer (I wasn't competing, but he thought he was) that passed me on the approach to the PA Turnpike--I passed him back 20 minutes later while he was keeping company on the shoulder with some guy in a patrol car-- and I really want to say to all of them, "It's a @*&#* six!"

Just call me "Slo-Pony".

In my defense, I apprecate power pulling into the passing lane; I "get" the competitive urge; and because it's a very smooth ride, and because half of North Carolina's drivers believe they're in some kind of weird two-lane NASCAR thing, I've caught the needle (once) in the very stiff fine range: however, only if I can get modifications that improve gas mileage and horsepower together, that hold up between 105-degrees ambient and down to -5 degrees F, or otherwise take some of the wobble out of the back on washboard, or put a little more "sit" on corners, will I consider a performance mod. I guess that might change too, but right now, I am very much enjoying the Ford engineered version of the ride.

--Jim

Grazes Across Concrete --

5/13/05
Stock 2000 3.8L V6, No Mod.
Age at Benchmark: 65,750 miles.
Laurel, MD to Arnold, PA: 252.4 miles.
Refill: 8.85 Gallons.
MPG: 28.52

-- No Complaints: She's One Sweet Ride.

Last edited by commart; 06-09-2005 at 04:43 PM..
commart is offline   Reply With Quote