MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-05-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
RiCeFrYeR
Registered Member

Default What do you think the most HP someone should have for a street drive?

I have a friend that is in love with hondas. Now dont get me wrong they do hold their own but i want to stomp all his friends. All they do all day long is talk trash on domestics. So i have a plan i am selling my truck, then getting a fox body and i want to get the car to push about 450-500 but alot of people say this is to much. I realy dont think so, what so you guys think?

O yea if you are interested in my truck its a 01 f-150 71000 miles lowered 3-4 short bos stepside. Looks like a lightining but with out the ground effects. It is a sport so the bumpers are red. O yea i am realy selling my truck so i can get out of all my payments and i am building the car with cash.
RiCeFrYeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:38 PM   #2
Stangette
Registered Member

Talking Re: What do you think the most HP someone should have for a street drive?

too much ponies - never !! ... not here - you may not need that many to stomp a ricer - er - i mean import - but they are great anywhay - they talk trash first - then go ahead and smoke 'em - while you're at it, finish the deal w/ some flowmasters and crossovers w/ 2 1/2" pipes !! - sure thay will give you no more gravey after taht !! ..
Stangette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
RiCeFrYeR
Registered Member

Default Re: What do you think the most HP someone should have for a street drive?

Yea, but i see alot of people around my area that i talk to and their daily drivers are only like 300hp. And i want a badest dailly driver around. I want it like 500 but i dont know why people dont drive with that much horses. Then again i want this motor to be old school, only a carb and that is it.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #4
4barrel
Mustang Rookie

Default Re: What do you think the most HP someone should have for a street drive?

Everyone says it's all how you build the rest of your car as to how much power you can use. Traction bars and tires...all the stuff to get the power to the ground...that will determine how much power you can use.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/822269

4barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:25 PM   #5
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

300 RWHP makes a fast stang
400 RWHP makes a scary stang that will beat 90% of cars on the road
500 RWHP Makes an insanely fast stang and you will beat 99.9% of the cars on the road.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #6
RiCeFrYeR
Registered Member

Then i think i am going to have to go with 450-500 hp. Do you guys know of any good sites to see some peoples built fox body cars?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:08 PM   #7
StangFlyer
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiCeFrYeR
Then i think i am going to have to go with 450-500 hp. Do you guys know of any good sites to see some peoples built fox body cars?
ummm.. yeah.... you're on one.

Lots of cars here in our User's Rides...
http://www.mustangworks.com/rides/

Or, in the media center...
http://media.mustangworks.com
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:06 PM   #8
A_PEEL_ING
Registered Member

I have a 1969 Dodge Superbee that puts out about 550hp. It only gets driving on weekends and nice days mainly because it's more or less a show car than a driver. But it's insane to drive on the street, still haven't come up against something that can take it not even a viper buts that’s only in a 1/4 mile race. I would love to a car every day with that much hp but the amount of fuel that thing goes through is ridicules. I remember saying who cares when I bought it but after putting $20 in every time I go for a cruise for about an hour it gets old pretty fast. Plus after everybody starts finding out your pushing 500hp nobody wants to race u anymore. But I know exactly where your coming from I have a 01 GT Convertible and looking to put a supercharger on it to bring it just under or around 400hp. That’s plenty for a street car you'll be right on a vipers ass if not beside him.( that will piss him off when he sees a mustang keeping up to his $130000 car)

Here's some pic's if anyone is interested--click on the link below--

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/709232
A_PEEL_ING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:03 PM   #9
RiCeFrYeR
Registered Member

Where all of those rides yours? they were sweet. But as it looks right now at 400hp it should put me in the mif to high 11's so i thnk i am going to build it for about 450 and if i decide to get crazy then i will add a supercharger. YEA STOMP EVERYTHYING I CAN!!!!! lmas.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #10
Rev
Registered Member

There was a sign in an old speed shop that said: "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?". When you go for more HP, normally aspirated, you get that power at a higher rpm and with less low end torque. Thus, you do trade drivability to get more HP. That means lower gearing (higher numerically).

The first thing you will need to decide is the CID or size of the engine you are willing to build. I'm assuming you will use a small block from 302 to 427 CID to go in the Fox body. If it was me, I'd try for a stroked 351 making 392. You can get that short block from Ford. Use AFR 185's and a single plane manifold with an 850 Holley or Demon. With the Ford roller cam that comes in that engine and long tube 1 3/4" headers, I think you will have about 450 HP. It won't be cheap though, so save your pennies.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:05 PM   #11
RiCeFrYeR
Registered Member

Cool, thanks for the info. I was accutally going towards a 302. And i want to be able to twist it high as i can. Like i said i want to make a bad a** street driver. This will be my daily driver. So i have my work cut out for me. But first i have to sell my truck.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:02 PM   #12
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

450-500rwhp is good

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:52 PM   #13
bmxmon
Registered Member

If your going to build a daily driver, i would think you would want a power adder if you want up to your 500 hp goal. I would think it would be pretty rough around idle N/A.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:19 PM   #14
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Just how streetable is a 500HP "daily driver"? It costs bucketloads of money to build that, maintain that, not to mention gas. It doesn't take 500 HP to beat ricers around here, most of them are beater 4 doors with stock wheels and a stupid wing and lots of stickers. There are a few surprises, but most of them are just running fart cans and stickers (and duct tape). 350-400 is more realistic for the daily driver to me. Hell, I would take 300 HP!

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:21 AM   #15
Capri306

With the correct parts, machine work, a blower, some dyno-time with a custom chip, and decent driving skills, anything is possible. Not to mention at least respectable fuel efficiency. Any good tuner knows that a street car that can get more horsepower more efficiently is the way to go, which is why -- as many others have in this thread before me -- I'd advise a blower. Dependent on numerous variables, I would venture to say you'd need around 14psi if you want to make a 302 put down that much horse. Keep in mind, 500hp is usually the magic number for 302 blocks to go snap!

BTW, it was Smokey Yunick (sp?) who said, "how fast can ya spend?"...or so I've been led to believe.

I can tell you, riding in a car with anything over 500 horses feels like God's hand is pushing you down the road, if you can control it and your chassis is up to the task.

As an example, look atproject Death Machine. Dan's car was from the 5th Circle of Hell when it had a slipping clutch, so I can only imagine what it's capable of now. LoL

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #16
RiCeFrYeR
Registered Member

Yea i am in dallas so there are some sick imports. So with the 5.0 they seem to give at about 500 hp? That is not good. But i have always heard that the 351 is a bad motor to build. So do you think that a 351 bored over would be better? and would it be cheaper? And how does it fit in a fox body? And i realy dont want to supercharge it right away but if that is the best bet i probally will. I am not worried about gas or how fast it goes though it. I own a truck now so i dont get the best mpg now.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:18 PM   #17
4barrel
Mustang Rookie

The 5.0 stock block will go for around 500 horsepower before it breaks. If you want to stay with a 302 block but want more than 500 horse, you should get a ford racing 302 block. They're alot stronger.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/822269

4barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 08:06 PM   #18
Capri306

Save yourself the heartache and money, and go with a 351W-based engine. Whoever told you a 351W is a bad choice for building upon must have been on methamphetamines. It's probably the single-best block to start a project on, and interchangability is nearly a non-issue when fitting them into Mustangs. I won't lie to you, there are some minor differences that need to be accounted for, but most of the time it's just a matter of selecting the correct parts and not performing extensive modifications.

A factory 351W block of 69-73 vintage is usually capable of handing around 700-800hp (some say more, but I like to low-ball) before needing some help to stay together. I have one of these blocks right now, and it's...shall we say, "beefier" than ANY 302 block I've encountered.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 12:23 AM   #19
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

what are you guys thinkin ...500 hp for a street car? in my books anything above 375 or 350 is plenty.. even a car pushin 300 on the street is going to be a thing to deal with - you said you wanted to beat your friends hondas? get anything with a stock v8 and there you go. if you get the 5.0 just slap a supercharger on it and be done ...thats all you need on the street to be a bad mofo
Old 05-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #20
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I'm of the opinion that the 351W is one of the biggest pieces of junk that Ford has ever made. If you don't need 700-800hp, why invest in a block capable of taking it? There is no reason to go to a 351W setup unless you plan on making more than 350hp N/A or more than 450hp with forced induction.

Almost every stock 351W ever built makes signficantly less power than the stock 5.0HO, and you'll have to make the exact same modifications to a 351W that you'll have to make to a 302. All the 351W represents is extra weight, extra money, and extra gas consumption. Oh, but you do get to grunt and act like a 351W under the hood is a significant upgrade.

Fat0eknee, the bone stock 03 Cobra's were making nearly 400hp. With only the slightest of mods, they were making 425-450. Stock LS1 F bodies were making nearly 350hp. The problem is not with the horsepower, but the vehicle in its entirety. I disagree strongly with a 375hp car being difficult to deal with. That has to do with the tires, brakes, body rigidity, and suspension system. A properly setup car will behave night and day different than a 400hp otherwise stock Fox body.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote