MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-27-2001, 03:13 PM   #1
Coupe Devil

Default Hey Mercury

Hey Mercury, and any other of you guys with the older cars. Whats the diference in a Fairlane and a Thunderbolt. I like the tear drop hood but I love a 65 Fairlane. Kinda pondering my next project, I'm thinkin 65 or 66 Fairlane, 2 dr post car, 408 stroker with a tremec, and 9 inch. RED with the tear drop hood. Whatcha think?

Brad

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 05:05 PM   #2
Coupe Devil

Or I might have the option to get an original 67 coupe from my aunt WHO BOUGHT IT BRAND NEW......!!!!!!. I would love to have it, I've told her to price it and I will go get hte money but she just wont.

Old 12-27-2001, 05:21 PM   #3
Stang Runner
Registered Member

100 MADE!!!! Thunderbolt GET IT 427 do 11's!!! As is IF you could get one get it at all cost!!!!!
Engine: steel mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, GT-40 Intake ported Lower, No power steering, No A/C, Mac cold intake, 65MM TB, 255 Fuel pump, 24's, AFR 165 58cc, Rocker Arms 1.7with the stock Cam, 1 5/8 short headers, offRoad X-pipe
Drive Train: 3.55, T-5 with a Pro 5.0 shifter
12.656@107.71MPH See It at www.T-racing.com/mustang.htm
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 05:40 PM   #4
7DMACH1
Registered Member

A t/bolt, was produced for racing only. Had a plate pn the glove box door stating not intended for street use. No sound deadner, radio, heater, strickly a race car. 427 4spd. RAY
7DMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 12:44 AM   #5
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Default T-Bolt Diffrences.

Hey Pony Power.

Lets see, there are many diffrences between a 64 Fairlane, and a 64 Fairlane Thunderbolt.

In 64 the Fairlane was based on a smaller chassis than previous models. It is roughly a similar size as a First Gen Mustang. 65 is about the same size. I believe that in 66 they restyled the Fairlane completely, and it grew drastically in size.

Normal production 64-65 Fairlanes accomidated Small block Windsor V8's rather nicley, but as for room to shoe horn a FE 427, it would look impossible.

I dont know who ford sent those 100 Fairlanes (That were destined to become Thunder Bolts) too. I wanna say it was the same people who did the work for the Boss 429.

As to what all it was that was changed from a standard 64 fairlane to a Thunderbolt, I dont know. I know the shock towers were heavily moddified and reinforced, and I know there were light weight fenders, bumpers, and of course the symbolic Tear drop hood. The two inner head lights were taken out and used for opening to gulp in coupouis amounts of air. They were also given light wieght glass. If I remember correctly, all were sold with Auto's. It was a moddified version of the auto tranny Ford and Lincoln put behind there 430 ci engine. As to what the model number is I dont know.

All of my books and materials are in North Carolina, and at the Moment, I'm in Pittsburgh PA. A few years back I would be able to tell you about everything you wanted to know, but with all teh crap that floats through my head (theres alot of it ) Its hard to keep track.

My friend has a 67 Fairlane, a 66 was just about identical in styling. I think a 66-67 with a REAL STOUT FE BB, a 427 Fairlane hood (Huge Scoop in front), or a Tear drop hood would look sweet.

I think it should wear period/era wheels to keep that classic Muscle look.

Those cars tip the scales at 3500 Lbs with a Small block and a Auto tranny.

RED in book is a must Is there any other color???? your ideas sound like a good start to a mean project car. I especially like the Two door Post.....Plane Jain Muscle Machine. Gotta love it.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 09:48 AM   #6
Coupe Devil

Thanks guys, So I guess a Thunderbolt is outta the question huh.
Sue to size of the car a 64 or 65 would be nice. I found a running but 6 banger 65 fairlane for 600 bucks but not sure about doing that swap again. My best friend is doing a 351 4 speed toploader in to a 65 6 banger coupe mustang. He has jsut had to much headache finding parts so I think I want an original v-8 straight shift car.

And RED IS THE ONLY COLOR. I'm thinkin a set of Chrome Torque Thrust's 15x8's maybe not sure what will fit. Teardrop hood, chrome everywhere, and it would have to be a post car. There's just nothin like em'.

Thanks for the help. Now I guess I just gotta find the car heh.

Brad

Old 12-28-2001, 02:23 PM   #7
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

I want a '64 Fairlane!!!!!! i almost bought one but my dad wouldn't let me because it needed too much work to be a good daily driver. Thats why I bought my stang instead. no regrets there I found that of the 100 thunderbolts 59 were autos and 41 were 4 speeds. the thunderbolts were street legal but were built for racing... kinda like the cobra r's Some day when I have more money I plan to make my own

Later
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 03:04 PM   #8
Coupe Devil

Well I've decided after researching all day that the 66' or 67' Fairlane 500 is for me. I need to find one. I would like to find a 2 door with a 390 in it. I like the over and under headlights. I didnt realize exactly what the 64's looked like. I know I dont like the trim down the side of it. What does a straight bodied Fairlane go for. It doesnt have to be a 390 car but atleast a factory v-8 car.

Brad