MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-13-2003, 02:45 AM   #1
429mustang
Registered Member

Default Desktop Dyno, accurate?

I just got Desktop Dyno 2000. It's pretty sweet, but how accurate is it? Anyone come up with any badass combos with it?
Old 01-13-2003, 04:07 AM   #2
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: Desktop Dyno, accurate?

Quote:
Originally posted by 429mustang
I just got Desktop Dyno 2000. It's pretty sweet, but how accurate is it? Anyone come up with any badass combos with it?
I think it depends a lot on how accurate the info you put in is. Be careful, i've stumbled on things that sounded fantastic until i found out i'd made a mistake, like the head flow was figured at 1 inch of water when it should have been 28 ... its really easy to make a mistake, so if it comes back sounding to good to be true, it's probably a short between the keyboard and the chair (your goofup).
By the way, you didn't happen to get the cam file CD with it did you ?
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 10:10 AM   #3
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

It's ok if you wanna believe a computer. But it only represents PERFECT conditions. Which you'll NEVER have at a track. I've heard people say that they build their street motor using desktop dyno. If that's the case theirs lots of 650hp internally stock 350's running around. Take it to a real engine builder and let him build the motor for you and use a real dyno. Then take it to the track and get real world results.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 02:16 PM   #4
VeNuM
Registered Member

I find it useful on comparing flow numbers on heads and different cam profiles. I'm not worried about the top number, just if it goes up when I make changes. It's a referance, I'm practically going to be building my motor on a Superflow engine dyno. ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 03:30 PM   #5
MEDIK418
Registered Member

A little history that may bore most of you but anyway. . the theory behind the program goes back to pre-WW2 fighter airplane technology. The aircraft builders came up with this type of parameter comparisons to predetermine horsepower levels without having to actually build the different engine combos. THe principles are sound but as mentioned in an earlier post they cannot take into consideration a lot of environmental as well as design variables that can have a major impact on outcome.
What Dyno software is good for is helping deterimne how much of an improvement certain "performance parts" will have on an engine. If you already have your particular engine's parameters in the database, you can see a fairly accurate indication of the amount of change a particular part will make. Most helpful in choosing cams, intakes, cam timing and such. No it may not be dead on but it should be close. One thing I have noticed. . .the program thinks headers are the best thing since round wheels. I can add open headers to a go-cart engine and pick up 75 horsepower on this thing. I use it to compare the different cam profiles and how they compare to intake volume a lot.
Anyway, it's a lot of fun to play with.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 05:54 PM   #6
429mustang
Registered Member

I have a bunch of cam, head, and motor combo files.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:58 PM   #7
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric4Nitrous
It'Take it to a real engine builder and let him build the motor for you and use a real dyno. Then take it to the track and get real world results.
Maybe i should get someone to drive it too lol That way I don't have to get my hands dirty at all ?
I never thought of it as anything but a reference tool ... and as far as the statement about it being ok if you want to believe a computer ?? thats a strange thing to say, since almost everything you touch now days, from your daily driver and the radio in it, to your microwave oven is computer controled? You have no choice but believe them. Also leave us not forget we went to the moon based on computer simulations. I still think if you take it for what it is, which is a tool to get you in the ball park, its pretty cool. If nothin else its a blast to see what insane combinations you can come up with
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote