MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-09-2002, 08:14 PM   #1
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Default What differs a strip car from a street car

OK, I'm not that dumb, I know that a strip car usually will have an outragous (sp) amount of hp, but what laws would make a car a strip car only. It's something I've been wondering, thanks, Keith

Rice Hater's Club Member 22
Kamaro Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 08:18 PM   #2
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

basically depends on how radical the combo is and what your local laws are. I had my 89 on the road for a short period and i got hassled all the time. Too big of tires, too loud, etc. They even told me that the wheelie bars and parachutes were illegal..bwhahaha. But like i said depedns on what your local laws are and such.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 08:21 PM   #3
2001 WS6 TA
Registered Member

It has to be in compliance with the DOT, correct lighting, street tires, seatbelts, emission, basically everything that you need to pass an inspection
http://www.boomspeed.com/mytoys/Mvc-005f.jpg

2001 WS6 Black M6 (summer car)
1999 Nissan Altima Silver (beater car)
1994 Formula M6 Yellow (traded in for a new TA)
2000 Honda F4 Silver & Red (totaled)
2000 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Yellow & Black (Sold - took it to its limits, witnessed too many horror scenes, quit while ahead)
2001 WS6 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 09:19 PM   #4
srv1
Get down.....

Default Re: What differs a strip car from a street car

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamaro Killer
OK, I'm not that dumb, I know that a strip car usually will have an outragous (sp) amount of hp, but what laws would make a car a strip car only. It's something I've been wondering, thanks, Keith
what laws would make it a strip car only? thats easy, take the plates off and dont register/inspect/insure it. there you go! you now have a "strip car only".

i assume you mean street? no?
Old 10-10-2002, 01:14 AM   #5
429mustang
Registered Member

I say it depends on the person. Lets take my friend for instance. He bought a 1970 Chevelle SS 2 winters ago (396bb, 850 holley double pumper, descent size solid cam, 4.11's, 400trans). It's a pretty strong car, but it was blown out of proportion as soon as he got it. It runs good 13's, which is quick, but nothing special, especially for a bog block. He had to ask to take it out for the first half of a year( that was after it sat in his garage for a half a year without him EVER driving it, and he DID pay for the car). You can bet your *** I'd be driving it everyday, not looking at it everytime I got home. If I had a choice, my daily driver would run 10's. When my friend brings down his 13 second chevelle, it's like he's wheeling out a dragster. I think thats stupid, but whatever, it's his car. He plans on stroking the big block out this winter, along with other parts(Grupmy Jenkins heads, weind supercharger,etc)we'll see how much that car hits the streets after that, he'll probably tow it down to let us look at it.

Anyway, I guess as long as the lights work on the car, it's streetable depending on how much gas/maintainence you want to deal with (or on wether you want to chance getting caught not running exhaust/emission equipment)

Sorry about the drawn out post, I like to ramble (I'm kind of an IDIOT)
Old 10-10-2002, 01:31 AM   #6
jj_jonathon
Trisket

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric4Nitrous
basically depends on how radical the combo is and what your local laws are. I had my 89 on the road for a short period and i got hassled all the time. Too big of tires, too loud, etc. They even told me that the wheelie bars and parachutes were illegal..bwhahaha. But like i said depedns on what your local laws are and such.
you drove a car on the street with wheelie bars and a PARACHUTE?! lmfao THAT would kick *** to see pull up next to me...or watch a cop try to chase after past me...rofl...

Keith:

..basically these guys have covered it...its the license plate, lights, tires and depending on what state you live in, emissions and possibly a few oddball local laws...

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 09:10 AM   #7
Eric4Nitrous
Registered Member

Yeah it was fun while it lasted. But it started breaking some parts so i took it off.
Eric4Nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote