MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Poll: What will my '85 GT run without nitrous
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
What will my '85 GT run without nitrous

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2006, 06:30 PM   #21
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Default Re: 1985 GT - Test your mustang knowledge, guess how fast i'll run 1/4 mile

I agree, i bought this thing with the mods it has now and i'm probably going to be "fine tuning" this thing. In other words undoing all the half arsed mods that have been done to it. When i first got it, it had lowering springs with KYB struts and shocks and I think someone wanted to use it as a daily driver. The heater core is no longer hooked up, the A/C is gone, the wiring for the MSD and other accessories are horrible, most of the gauges don't work, the ones that do are inaccurate probably because of a ground issue (turn on lights the gauges change values). So i have my work cut out for me, not a big deal though as long as i focus on one thing at a time. Since it has 3.73 gears my 26" diameter slicks should work fine although, i agree it does need more gear. I was hoping to see the mph in the 1/4 with the nitrous on and change gear from there.
I'm a glutton for punishment so i guess this GT is a perfect match for me.

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:44 PM   #22
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Default Re: 1985 GT - Test your mustang knowledge, guess how fast i'll run 1/4 mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred90gt
The almighty tireburner has spoken. It must be gospel.
Haha! I've only been doing 10 years so I surely don't know what I'm talking about LOL.

I'll give it 13.5 with slicks now that I saw my friend run a 8.9 1/8 without drag radials/gears/heads. He has the f303 (why I dunno) and stock heads with an exploder intake.

...the epitome of Murphy's Law
HoodStrype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:19 AM   #23
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodStrype
Haha! I've only been doing 10 years so I surely don't know what I'm talking about LOL.

I'll give it 13.5 with slicks now that I saw my friend run a 8.9 1/8 without drag radials/gears/heads. He has the f303 (why I dunno) and stock heads with an exploder intake.

And I say that you've been doing it wrong for 10 years if you can't get a heads, cam, intake car into the 12's.

I ran 13.5's with a basicly stock car. Stock heads, cam, intake, tb, maf, and headers.

The man's own 89 GT ran 13.30's with a soft 1.82 60 foot with stock heads and a stock cam. You telling me that with heads, a cam, and a few bolt ons that he couldn't pick up the .4's needed to run 12's?

I was in the high 12's with the mods in my sig on motor and mid 11's on the kit.......E7 heads...stock cam. Drew Lyons (FiveOhPatrol) was running 12's with E7's and a B-303 cam a few years ago.

The only way this car will run 13's is if he flat out can't drive or the track is a ice rink.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:57 AM   #24
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireburner163
And I say that you've been doing it wrong for 10 years if you can't get a heads, cam, intake car into the 12's.
Ummm... Not to be over the top, but I'm sure with your 21 year old W E A L T H of knowlege you're probably correct.

High 12's... It's possible but not likely, and have you ever even seen a set of gt40p heads? Do you know what they came off of? Do you know how much a car running those heads dyno's at? Do you know that F-cam is probably a slight mis match for that set up? I'm taking into consideration average guy and average car...

Ice the crap out of the intake, have a 40 degree night with no humidity and pray the strip sprays lots of track bite and I'll show you high 12's with that combo.

PS: please don't PM me with how you've been drag racing since you rode a tricycle, how you're an ASE certified tire technician, how you're dad used to hang out with Ozzy Osbourne or anything else... I don't argue on websites because there is no point to it and I have to go back to work now building a database

Old 03-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #25
1989GT
Registered Member

I ran 12.80's @ 107 with Gt40P heads, on drag radials with a 1.8 60 ft. And I don't have anything that is even close to drag suspension, with suspension and slicks theirs probably almost another half second or so.

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:58 PM   #26
tireburner163

Quote:
Ummm... Not to be over the top, but I'm sure with your 21 year old W E A L T H of knowlege you're probably correct.
Nice attempt at a cheap shot.

You’re associating age with experience. They don’t always go hand in hand.

What kind of mods do you have on your car? How many of them did you do yourself?

I completely removed the motor, transmission, rear-end, and suspension from my car (see updated sig) and upgraded or replaced just about every part. This is my 3rd mustang I’ve done this to.

How many AOD to 5-speed swaps have you done? I’ve done four.

How man H/C/I swaps have you done? I’ve done many?

How many nitrous installs have you done? I’ve done ten or eleven?

How many blower installs? I’ve done five.

I would say I know myself around a mustang pretty well.

Also how often do you race your car at the drag strip? My car is there a bare minimum of once a week, often times two.

Quote:
High 12's... It's possible but not likely, and have you ever even seen a set of gt40p heads? Do you know what they came off of? Do you know how much a car running those heads dyno's at? Do you know that F-cam is probably a slight mis match for that set up? I'm taking into consideration average guy and average car...

And I ask you, have you ever see a set of E7 heads??? They flow a dismal 150cfm intake at .500 lift and 123 on the exhaust.

Oh the other hand GT-40P heads flow 195cfm intake and 142 exhaust at .500 lift.

I would say that 45cfm on the intake, and 19 cfm on the exhaust was worth some serious horsepower over the stock heads.

True the F-cam IS a mis-match, however it does more good than harm in this case. It's still going to make more power than the stock cam.

My car ran mid 13.5 @ 97 mph with only tires, gears, a shifter, a h-pipe, and roller rockers.

Suggesting that a car with much better heads, intake, cam, ignition, and a drag orientated suspension can only run mid 13's is crazy to say the least.

I'm not saying you can baby the car down the track can run 12's. You're going to have to launch it fairly hard and power shift it, but 12's should be easily attainable.

Quote:
Ice the crap out of the intake, have a 40 degree night with no humidity and pray the strip sprays lots of track bite and I'll show you high 12's with that combo.
Do that and I'll show you a mid 12 second car.

Quote:
PS: please don't PM me with how you've been drag racing since you rode a tricycle, how you're an ASE certified tire technician, how you're dad used to hang out with Ozzy Osbourne or anything else... I don't argue on websites because there is no point to it and I have to go back to work now building a database
I also try to refrain from arguing over the internet. I end up spending much of my time explaining things to amateurs such as yourself.

Have a nice day

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 03-15-2006, 11:01 PM   #27
tireburner163

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989GT
I ran 12.80's @ 107 with Gt40P heads, on drag radials with a 1.8 60 ft. And I don't have anything that is even close to drag suspension, with suspension and slicks theirs probably almost another half second or so.

bs......it takes a supercharged 347 stroker to run those kinds of numbers

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 03-16-2006, 05:33 AM   #28
06_GT_Hawaii
Registered Member

I'm going to set up a redundant note here... but what gears are you guys talking about running...??? It makes a difference... I have to say this, because it's about the only thing I've done and can do... already updated my '06 GT rear with 4.10's and an Eaton E-locker... I would have liked to go with the 4.30's, but couldn't get a decent locker/limslip unless I went 4.10's or 4.56's.

Once I break the 8.8... I'll go BIGGER>......

I buy my Mustang stuff at:
cafepress.com/mustang_GT

HAPPINESS IS
300 HP
06_GT_Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:19 PM   #29
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Tireburner, Your posts are stupid and rude and have been for 5 years. Look at the one here that 69Bronco started for ex. There is no need to post about how long you've ridden a tricycle, most people here are very experienced and sometimes we disagree. I don't know everything dude and when someone calls me on it I don't write out a thesis... no one cares. Enough. Over.

Soooo, okay, back to the subject at hand, 84LX89GT when ya gonna run that bad boy??? I reread back where ya doing some suspension work

Last edited by HoodStrype; 03-16-2006 at 12:38 PM..
Old 03-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #30
tireburner163

Quote:
Tireburner, Your posts are stupid and rude and have been for 5 years. Look at the one here that 69Bronco started for ex. There is no need to post about how long you've ridden a tricycle, most people here are very experienced and sometimes we disagree. I don't know everything dude and when someone calls me on it I don't write out a thesis... no one cares. Enough. Over.

Soooo, okay, back to the subject at hand, 84LX89GT when ya gonna run that bad boy??? I reread back where ya doing some suspension work
Yea, I can tell you contribute a lot to the site.....all 371 post of wisdom. My thousands of posts in the tech forums have been of no use

It's not my fault the guy can't spell Cobra for god's sake. If you can't spell a simple word like Cobra, I'm sorry, your not going to get a lot of respect from me.

I didn't write a thesis, I simply argue facts and points. You said the car would only run mid 13's I offered flow numbers and examples of cars that had run mid 13's or faster with less mods. You see to just like to point out that I am "young" and that I am "stupid" or "rude." People with baseless arguments often do this.

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 03-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #31
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84LX89GT
Ok, this oughta be fun.
Was

Okay you win tireburner163. You know what you're talking about and your 1000's of posts aren't stupid... I'm but an amateur with a measily 370 posts and need to have things explained to me, by you, my hero and demigod. Let's hold hands, sing Kumbaya

Can we move on now?

Last edited by HoodStrype; 03-16-2006 at 03:24 PM..
Old 03-18-2006, 11:22 AM   #32
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Was

Okay you win tireburner163. You know what you're talking about and your 1000's of posts aren't stupid... I'm but an amateur with a measily 370 posts and need to have things explained to me, by you, my hero and demigod. Let's hold hands, sing Kumbaya

Can we move on now?
Dude... you're way off base here, and you're digging yourself a hole. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you don't have much of a chance of legitimately debating this.

GT-40P heads are VERY good heads if you're not trying to get your weekend warrior above 110mph or run mid 12's in the quarter. They respond very well to a port job, and the flow more than enough to be matched up to a nice low lift aftermarket cam. As everybody has pointed out, the F-303 cam (which is the best of the alphabet cams in general) probably has too much lift for the GT-40P heads to truly use at maximum efficiency (GT40-P heads actually drop a little flow between .500 and .550 lift from the factory), but that doesn't negate the fact they are far better than stock.

I don't know what you have/haven't seen, and I don't care. There are people on this site that have put E7 headed cars into the 12's without any forced induction or nitrous. There are witnesses to stock fox bodies running high 13's right off the factory floor with bumped timing (not that more than a very few can duplicate that)

Good driving can mean more than a lot of boltons, but eventually, even an average driver with enough go-fast parts will be faster than a great driver with no go fast goodies.

Posts don't mean much to me these days, but I have been a member of this site since 1999, which is a lot longer than most here can say. Even though I don't know as much about the latest Mustang parts available or even necessarily as much as I did when I was an active member, I do still have more than enough knowledge to spot the correct assumptions in this debate.

I like how you start your "can we just move on" thread with a few jabs... yeah, that always works, lol.

Oh, and btw, Jeff Chambers was running 10's on a N/A unported GT-40P headed car, if I remember right.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:09 PM   #33
84LX89GT
Mustangs

Quote:
Right now i'm waiting for the old summit parts pile to arrive from ordering it on the 10th of march

The process is taking a bit longer than i thought because the bellhousing was cracked almost 1/2 way around and the clutch was shot so i'm on parts hold right now. I got the bellhousing and 10.5" clutch ready flywheel instead of the now toast stock 10" clutch.
Also the weather in washington is sucking pretty bad so i've worked in 30* weather, rain, and mixes in between
For suspension, i may or may not replace the rear control arms, but i've installed the 90/10 struts and 4 cyl. front springs and need to install the rear springs. Also the front sway bar has been removed.

I'm trying to get this pile on the road but every time i fix it, something else breaks or "needs improvement". Luckily i'm doing all this work now in the bad weather because the track is closed during rain anyway.

Thanks to everyone following along, i promise that this thing will run in the next few months, but i'm optimistic it'll run in the next few weeks. I took my Cobra out, now it's time i run the trash can.

ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
Old 03-20-2006, 05:29 AM   #34
RBatson
Registered Member

I was going to guess mid 13s but... you already ran 13.30s? Hmm.. you have since removed the a/c? Honestly, I thought low 13s was the best you would see but if you have already seen 13.3 then I'm going to have to guess a 13 flat. I think you are a much better driver than you give yourself credit.

As far as guessing at times with bolt ons, I believe Bob Cosby was running high 11s with a bolt-on 98 cobra. If your looking for a drag slip hero... there you go. I don't think I could pull that off.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:42 AM   #35
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 5302
Dude... you're way off base here, and you're digging yourself a hole. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you don't have much of a chance of legitimately debating this.

GT-40P heads are VERY good heads if you're not trying to get your weekend warrior above 110mph or run mid 12's in the quarter. They respond very well to a port job, and the flow more than enough to be matched up to a nice low lift aftermarket cam. As everybody has pointed out, the F-303 cam (which is the best of the alphabet cams in general) probably has too much lift for the GT-40P heads to truly use at maximum efficiency (GT40-P heads actually drop a little flow between .500 and .550 lift from the factory), but that doesn't negate the fact they are far better than stock.

I don't know what you have/haven't seen, and I don't care. There are people on this site that have put E7 headed cars into the 12's without any forced induction or nitrous. There are witnesses to stock fox bodies running high 13's right off the factory floor with bumped timing (not that more than a very few can duplicate that)

Good driving can mean more than a lot of boltons, but eventually, even an average driver with enough go-fast parts will be faster than a great driver with no go fast goodies.

Posts don't mean much to me these days, but I have been a member of this site since 1999, which is a lot longer than most here can say. Even though I don't know as much about the latest Mustang parts available or even necessarily as much as I did when I was an active member, I do still have more than enough knowledge to spot the correct assumptions in this debate.

I like how you start your "can we just move on" thread with a few jabs... yeah, that always works, lol.

Oh, and btw, Jeff Chambers was running 10's on a N/A unported GT-40P headed car, if I remember right.
Quote: "The more you stir it, the more it stinks"

Dude quit trying to start crap. Let's relax.

Last edited by HoodStrype; 03-20-2006 at 04:52 PM..
Old 03-20-2006, 10:59 PM   #36
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I'm more than relaxed. If you think that was me trying to start crap, then you really don't know me very well, which is surprising considering how long we've been registered here.

If I meant to insult you, you'd know it.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:19 PM   #37
HoodStrype
Rearview Mirror Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit 5302
If I meant to insult you, you'd know it.
I'd know it... hahaha lmao! C'mon...

guys you spend to much time and too much writing to try to get to me. It's all opinion, and jeez it's the internet... don't get mistaken for e-thugz!!! Chill out! Life's short

Last edited by HoodStrype; 03-21-2006 at 11:51 PM..
Old 03-27-2006, 12:31 AM   #38
84LX89GT
Mustangs

The clutch is in, I got a short throw shifter installed, drive shaft loop is in, new front brake lines are in, and my new rear control arms just showed up (in time). I just gotta bleed the brakes and road test this thing then i'll tear it apart again
I got granatelli upper/lower control arms, 4 cyl. springs. to go in rear and some minor engine tuning (gonna change MSD distributor advance curve/total advance).

The end is drawing near

I'm gonna update my profile to include my '85 GT so if anyone wants to browse that, go ahead

Sold 02/06/04

Old 03-28-2006, 08:37 AM   #39
tireburner163

You want to keep the V-8 rear springs.

The 4 banger rear springs are too soft, the suspension ends up having too much travel. It absorbs all your launch energy instead of planting the tires.

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 03-29-2006, 01:13 AM   #40
nitrousboy
Registered Member

i would say 13.00 with out the bottle on a good day with the bottle 12.50 ish.
nitrousboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: