MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-26-2001, 02:40 AM   #1
84_GT350
Registered Member

Post A question of ethics (kinda long)

I had this discussion with a few coworkers today and I decided to put it to you guys and see what you had to say. The subject was whether or not children should be treated like adults in regards to sexual misconduct. I saw on TV a few days ago that a 10 year old boy is now on the national sex offender registry for rubbing up against an 8 year old girl. Who here (like myself) thinks this is a ridiculous perversion of the original intent of this list? And not to mention the fact that the entire town he lived in voted to have him put on the list. The list's sole purpose is to notify people of sex offenders in their area. This generally constitutes child molesters, pedophiles, rapist, etc. This is a 10 YEAR OLD BOY. And once you're on that list you're there for life. Let's see a show of hands for all the people who played "doctor" with girls when they were children. Now imagine you're all on a list that blacklists you as a dangerous sex offender. Is this right? And what about an 18 year old boy having sex with his 17 year old girlfriend and then getting charged with statutory rape? So here's the question...is it ethical for children to be labeled as "offenders" for this sort of behavior when, in fact, probably 80% of the general population did the exact same thing when they were as young?

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 03:01 AM   #2
84stangLX

I agree with you. I did the same things when i was a kid and it's something that most children do. I remember when i was a kid, you'd be scolded and told not to do that and maybe get a swatting on your rear, but knowadays you've got lawyers waiting in the bushes to pop out and start suing anything with legs and outraged people walking around looking for things to be angry about (sarcasm...but almost not really). It amazes me the amount of stupidity that can be drudged up when you get a bunch of idiots in a group (i took several social psychology and psychology classes so i've learned about how easy it is to get caught up in a big group, especially the easily influenced people). Mobs have lots of influence and unfortunately most mobs don't exactly think things through.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car
Old 06-26-2001, 03:03 AM   #3
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Thumbs down

That is an absolutely ridiculous idea. What town was this in? The boy is 10 years old for crying out loud. There's this dude at work who had sex with his girlfriend, and he was 18 and she was 17. Well it turns out that her friend liked him and was jealous and told the girlfriend's parents. The gungho marine father that he was, called the cops and he went to jail for a year. Now he is on probation and if he breaks probation they're going to send him to Chino State prison!! How crazy is that? He is now officially a "sex offender" and has trouble finding work. Shows what a screwed up justice system we have. If you ever get in trouble, never talk to the cops!
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 03:04 AM   #4
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs down

I don't think it's ethical for that.... children are children... at that age they will mess around testing! Lord knows I did! Unless it's a serious act of sexual misconduct, I think that's bull$hit. They need to get a grip it seems. I'd hate to live in that town! They need to take a step back and re-evaluate.

------------------
Joe! 1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:www.joe4speed.com
99 Ninja ZX-6R:10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 03:17 AM   #5
84_GT350
Registered Member

Exactly...I'm not saying children shouldn't be dealt with appropriately for seious acts of misconduct. But let's be real...how is it that an 18 year old is old enough to fully understand sex...but not a 17 year old. Obviously you have to draw the line somewhere...but I think people fully understand what they're getting into earlier than 18. If an 18 year old is banging ome 14 eyar old...that's not right. And what kills me is that they call consensual sex "rape" just because the girl happens to be a year under the "age limit". Let's have a poll here...when did you guys lose your virginity? I'll bet in most cases it was before 18. I lost it at 14 and while I'm not exactly proud of that (I feel I wasn't really ready for the full effect of sex), I'm not about to say the girl who slept with me should go to prison because she was older than I was. And going to Chino? Man that's hardcore. Especially for something s petty and small. I call BULLSH!T.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
Old 06-26-2001, 03:28 AM   #6
ed1371
Registered Member

since you asked, I was 15, she was 14. Niether of us knew what we were doing! but hell it was fun!
ed1371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 03:37 AM   #7
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Thumbs up

I was 17 and my g/f was 16

------------------
Joe! 1988 GT, 167,000 miles!!! 13.58@105mph Check out my listing! Click here! Or my website:www.joe4speed.com
99 Ninja ZX-6R:10.32@135mph!
1993 Olds Eighty Eight LSS 16.40@88.8mph
joe4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 03:38 AM   #8
84_GT350
Registered Member

Well...we'll just say I was 14 and plead the 5th as to the age of the girl. She was older than I had any right to hook up with. Anyone else?

------------------
Old 06-26-2001, 03:59 AM   #9
69fastback
IRAQ VET

Thumbs down

I was 17 and so was she. I turned 18 before she did so does that mean i should have gone to jail. People have to be able to draw the line somewhere, but at the same time realize the situation. I know i played doctor when I was a kid just like everyone I have ever known in my lifetime. A guy and girl go out at 17 one turns 18 a couple months before are they supposed to just stop. No and they are not going to. Now a guy my age 24 going with a 17 year old then there are major problems.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 09:40 AM   #10
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

That sounds like total BS Remember a PERSON is smart, PEOPLE are dumb, stupid, animals. I'll do it one of these days(no laughing)

------------------
1990 Dodge Dynasty with 275,000 miles. Mods:chiped paint, CD player. Sucks but it was free. Praying for a stang.
The "Guetto Glider"

If it ain't broke, you ain't tryin hard enough
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 02:29 PM   #11
Power
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163:
That sounds like total BS Remember a PERSON is smart, PEOPLE are dumb, stupid, animals. I'll do it one of these days(no laughing)

Hey bro, its nothing to rush into. I don't think you got anything to be ashamed of or to try and rush things. When it happens it happens, and then its cool. But there aint nuthing wrong with waiting a little while....

Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 03:31 PM   #12
84_GT350
Registered Member

Power's absolutely right. I totally wish I had waited a while. I'm only 19 and it wouldn't bother me a bit if I still hadn't "done the deed". I DO regret losing it so young...but I don't regret relationships since then. Just wait your turn man. My brother didn't get his chance till he was 21. But now I digress. Back to the subject...

------------------
Old 06-26-2001, 04:54 PM   #13
bada$$lx

Cool

Times have changed my friends. This topic is so out-of-control nowadays. It's far different when a 10 yr old boy pinches/kisses a little girl than when a group of 10 yr old boys gang rape an 8 yr old girl (these cases should be dealt w/ in a more strict manner - parents should be evaluated/jailed too in these cases, beause the kds learned it somewhere, and if it wasn't directly fro the parents, it's from parental neglect). Since you're all sharing, I was 19 and she was 14 (very very developed and very knowledgeable - I thought she was 18). Man was she hot, and she definately knew what she was doing. She raped me

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)
Old 06-26-2001, 06:06 PM   #14
JM90GT
Registered Member

Its funny this is a question about ethics, Because bull**** like that sends ethics right out the window. Let me ask you this is, it politically correct to call an entire town a breeding ground for JACKA$$ES? However it does not surprise me at all, that citizens of the United Stats of America labled a 10 year old boy, hold on let me emphasize that, a CHILD at the age of 10 a sexual offender. I did more than play a little doctor at 10! Hell if anyone had noticed what I was up to during recess with half the girls in Mrs. Bannors first grade class I'd still be in jail if I had lived in that town.

Now let me just think here if I would ever do this and what would the offense have to be, to label this kid a predator. He would have to be a whole lot more dangerous than a fifteen minute recess humper. You know what is worse is that this IS what this nation has become. And it is just as much my fault as is the kind of people I blame. Because I like many others just stand around and talk about it. We should be knockng on someones forhead and asking WTF. Oh wait that will probably offend someone. This is what I am looking forward to: The day I fart and someone smacks me with a law suit for it.

Oh yea, I agree that whole thing is just stupid.

[This message has been edited by JM90GT (edited 06-26-2001).]
JM90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 06:28 PM   #15
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Around here the age of consent is 16.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 08:25 PM   #16
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation

I'm afraid the subject is a bit too complex to get into with any real substance here.

Suffice it to say that I believe that labeling a ten-year-old boy as a sex offender (for some little act of affection toward the opposite sex - not rape or assault) is more than simply unethical, it's unconscionable.

People who do this are acting from a variety of motivations including honest fear as well as a simple exercise of raw power over others. Although conservatives sometimes get the blame for this kind of thinking, it's often liberals who are behind it, using public fears of kids having sex way too early as a lever to get this kind of insane law enacted.
I don't believe it's about what you or I did at 10 or 12, but about control and a reaction to the earlier sexual awareness of children, which is sometimes manifested in pregnancy and STD's in young teens. It won't work of course (you can't stop nature, just divert it, which is what sports are for) but the folks who wish to control everyone else will keep on trying...and ruining young lives in the process. They need to be stopped but it isn't easy when you have a mob mentality and the insane 'Zero Tolerance' attitude about sex, drugs and guns that make a criminal out of a fifth-grader that gives an asprin to a friend, carries a plastic watergun in his packback or gives a girl a peck on the cheek.
Sometimes I believe we're losing our collective mind in this country, but then, half the country voted for Al Gore, so I suppose that proves it and it may already be too late.

As for the age of consent in my state (CT);
it's 16 but they want to drop it to 14 (dumb) and it's not rape if the boy is less than two years older than the girl (up to 18 of course), so if an 17-year-old guy has sex with his willing 16-year-old girlfriend it's some kind of misdemeanor but not rape....unless she claims it was.

Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 09:23 PM   #17
mikew88gt
Registered Member

Mr50 takes the words out of my mouth every time. Not to change the subject or anything but itsn't it a law in some states that 15 or 16 year olds can get married with parental concent? This is a touchy subject since people mature at different times based upon many things. A ten year old boy rubbing up against a girl isn't supposed to be blacklisted. (Does he still get a clean criminal record at 16?) The intent of the law was probably to keep young girls safe from older guys but look what it's evolved into.
mikew88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 10:38 PM   #18
Five0
Registered Member

The law in Florida is 16 with parental consent, but you would have to be stupid to get married that young or marry someone that young (I'm sure there are exceptions).
I got married to my ex-wife when she was 17 and it was the biggest mistake of my life.
I don't think it is right what they did to that boy, I think that is bull $hit and if it were my son I would fight that decision for as long as it took.

BTW: I was 18 when I lost mine.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 11:52 PM   #19
84_GT350
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikew88gt:
Does he still get a clean criminal record at 16?

No. Once you're in the national sex offender registry you're there for life no matter how old you are when the offense is commited. Now this little boy's life is ruined for something so stupid and (ironically) childish. It's harder to get jobs, loans, and many other things if you're on that list. And where do we as a society get off classifying underage sexual activity as rape? When you think of rape you think of a brutal crime that violates another human being. Not consensual sex between two teenagers that SOME people feel are too young to be gettin it on. Here in Kansas I believe the age of consent is still 18 even though there was a push to lower it to 16 (but hey...this is the same state that for a time last year didn't allow the teaching of evolution in public schools). Oddly enough, there is a law on the books in Kansas making oral sex illegal as well (it is classified as a form of sodomy. LOL). So why stop there? Why not make ALL sex illegal. There's no way to make kids stop having sex. Once you know what it is and you have the equipment it will happen unless you have morals that dictate otherwise. I went to a school in which all of the girls (literally 95%) had children of their own and some had more. One 18 year old girl had 3 kids. Proof that no amount of sex ed will overcome natural instinct.

------------------
Old 06-27-2001, 12:38 AM   #20
withamc
Registered Member

I'm shooting from the hip here, so I hope this makes some kind of sense.
These people that are making these asanine laws are people that WE (supposedly) elected. Situations like this and the fact that the 2000 election was decided by a few thousand votes shows how important it is that we be involved in how this country is run.
I'm an avid four wheeler as well as a Mustang addict. The fact that Al Gore was on the side of environmentalists who would love to outlaw four wheeling everywhere brought the four wheel drive community out to the election by the thousands. I spent 6 months of my life writing letters, hanging posters and urging anyone who would listen to find out the facts about the people they were going to elect. I was amazed at the people who were uninformed or just didn't care.
I swear to God, half the people in this country are sheep. Our elected officials tell them what's good and they're so wrapped up in their own little world that they just nod their heads in agreement. Nobody bothers to even think anymore. Example: The cities in this country with the most strict gun laws also tend to have the highest crime rate. The cities with the loosest laws tend to have the lowest. So why do so many people nod their heads in agreement when our government tells us we need stricter laws to combat crime? Or: How does the media get away with equating better gas mileage with lower pollution? Whether a car gets 10 miles per gallon or 50, it still has to meet the same emissions requirements. So why are the media never called on it?
Most of us on this website are young enough that we can make a difference in the way our country is run for the next 30 or 40 years. If you're not voting, start voting. And get your friends involved. If the only people who get involved are idiots, guess what kind of laws we're going to get.
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote