MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-21-2002, 07:20 PM   #1
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Talking Oh Lordy will it ever end??? Pity Post

Geez Louise, I swear I was born the WRONG sign!!!!

While at Cruise Weekend, I noticed that some paint had chipped off my trunk around the keyhole. I was more surprised than angry, since I couldn't figure out how on earth it had even been touched in order to peel off

Then I realized the awful truth...

The trunk had not even been prepped!!!!!!!!!

I got the spoilerless trunk off a V6 in Florida, and it was a smooth white with the clearcoat still on it. Well, where the paint had chipped off, was still clearcoated white!! They had not even sanded it!!

I was livid when I called the dealer and spoke to the service manager. I informed him that I was totally willing to overlook some stuff since I had gotten a pretty good price ($1700 for everything including sandblasting most of the body down to the metal). Interestingly enough, the service manager told me that ALL of the staff that was at the body shop when my car was painted has been FIRED since due to their shoddy work coming back So, he told me to bring it in ASAP, and he'd be happy to work something out.

Unfortunetly, its still a PITA since the dealer is in MD, and I now live in NJ *sigh* To all of you that are getting your car painted soon, WATCH OUT!! This was a Blue Oval Certified Dealer...apparently that didn't stand for jack! Make sure you find someone that you trust Don't pull a Belle!
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 07:28 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Stands for something, cause they are letting you take the car back in months after it was painted. They used your selection of paint, and they are standing by their work at this point. I know a lot of places that wouldn't allow you to use somebody elses paint and give you any warranty. Not to mention the dealer fired all the former body guys. Sounds like they like a good reputation.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 08:02 PM   #3
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Yep, by firing all of his employees, it sounds like the manager wants to get things back on the right track.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 09:50 PM   #4
rbatson

I know what you are saying, Belle. It seems the guys working there would have to be 'certified' to be working there, in the beginning. Atleast they are willing to correct the problem, without alot of BS, which says alot in itself. I hope the problem is corrected without too much hassle.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:28 PM   #5
Unit 5302
Registered Member

She's actually gone through a lot of BS. It just so happens that the dealer has finally figured out the employee's were truely at fault.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 11:43 PM   #6
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

This could have so easily gone the other way! We all know someone who got royally screwed, I'm very glad it seems like you'll make out on this mishap! Good luck, I hope they get things straight for ya!
Old 05-22-2002, 08:08 AM   #7
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Yeah, I'm really glad they are going to stand by their name. If they had a problem with my paint, then they should have said something up front, and I would have gone elsewhere. Unfortunately for them, THEY DIDN'T and they can't change their minds after the fact mwahahaha

So we'll see how it turns out...hopefully in my favor for once!!
Old 05-22-2002, 08:26 AM   #8
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

well good luck belle, i had to take ol crazy back 3 times, not for the paint, but stupid stuff like leaving my bumper cover under the headlight part that holds it up, etc, but they fixed everything, no question's, so im happy, i hope you will get your car fixed right this time, good luck to you, they should know that us mustang owner's are picky, see ya

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 05:57 PM   #9
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Just wanted to update...the shop completely blew me off, I called back twice, and he twice promised to call me back, and of course was lying. On the third call he obviously just told his secretary to tell me he wasn't in I'm guessing that if they continue to treat their customers like this (especially those that spend (~$2,000!) they won't keep their Blue Oval Certified status for very long...

On a positive note, my friend who got his car painted at the same dealership DID manage to coerce the manager into fixing his paintjob (mainly the window trim) but got his car back with overspray all over the body of the car! The trim WAS fixed though Seems like I'd be losing out either way, even if I did get my car back in the shop! I guess I'll just have to eat my losses and move on
Old 07-07-2002, 06:40 PM   #10
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Unhappy Body shop blues

And body shop owners wonder why they have a bad name?

This stinks but I believe your view of the situation is the right one.

Take your losses and move on; not worth the aggravation.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 09:15 PM   #11
PKRWUD

Wouldn't hurt to send a letter to the corporate offices.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 10:38 PM   #12
MY82GT50
Registered Member

Default Re: Body shop blues

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr 5 0
And body shop owners wonder why they have a bad name?

This stinks but I believe your view of the situation is the right one.

Take your losses and move on; not worth the aggravation.
Not all bodyshop owners are bad.
I have worked at many shops in my lifetime, and have dealt with alot of crooks. The last person I worked for had a nationally known restoration shop and was the worst person I have worked for. He was selling customers parts and charging customers for parts he said were bad. He even went so far as to change the VIN numbers on cars to tell people they were getting a car they actual were'nt.

I had enough of people like that so I decided to start my own business and wont let a car leave until it is right. But as good as anybody could be mistakes can still happen, even the best shops have comebacks. When I deal with people that spend alot of money on their car, the general demand a first rate job, which I am happy to provide.

There are plenty of good quality shops around, and defenitly a few in my area. All of which helps me because it makes you strive for perfection to be above the rest.

If I were you Belle306, I would demand the problem fixed,since you did say the problem was not being sanded. That would eliminate a paint default, but would indicate that whoever prepped the part did not do a good enough job. If you spent any amount of money it still needs to be corrected on their part.

Just my opinion,
Mike

http://www.acpshop.com

Faster Horses Racing
MY82GT50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 05:43 AM   #13
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

I just refuse to deal with them anymore. Its not my job to hunt this ******* down and FORCE him to do the right thing...and for what? So they can do a shitty job all over again? Forget it.

As for body shops, I don't know if I'll ever trust one at face value again. I've worked at one as well, part of the reason for my lack of trust! Unfortunately, my fiance needs his notch painted now, and I refuse to pick the shop, because I'm 90% certain they will be as lazy as all the other shops I've encountered...seems like unless you pay them more then they are worth, they don't give a **** about their final product. If it were me, I'd care about EVERY car that left my booth with MY name on it