MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-30-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Default Tie rod q?

Synopsys:
I'm going to be doing the tie rods on my car soon [the 93gt] (was going to be this weekend, But...)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this looks exactly like the manuals drawing for the inner tie rod, but they claim its a "rack and pinion socket"
part in question
Is this a case of "po ta toe, pota to?" or am I a dingbat?<g>

The reason I ask is that we've hit a bit of a snarl, since the part is $20, showed as $20 each at check out, but they charged me 39.95 each, for a part that is exactly the same, but with an "02" suffix.
According to them, ...this is an exact quote from their email....
"The 01 or 02 stand for the two different warehouses we ship out of. "

I'm waiting for a reply to the last message I sent them, basically a big WTF?. They said I could send them back, but I'm not going to pay shipping 3 times on these things.
Opinions?

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
Capri306

Default Re: Tie rod q?

Sounds like you're getting boned. I tried your link, but it would not work for me.

Browsing the mustangs unlimited website, and using their search feature, I found the part number ES2108R. That is considered the inner tie rod end, as you know, but whomever came up with their naming scheme is on crack. It's true that it threads onto the end of the rack, but to call it a "socket"? That's plain stupid. It IS a ball and socket component, but that's just a wrong term for the part itself.

Now for the price they publish on the site and what they charged you, I would say, "I DON'T GIVE A DAMN WHAT WAREHOUSE IT CAME FROM, YOUR SITE SAYS $19.99 EACH!" If they are the right parts, tell them to credit you the difference or you'll call a lawyer and have HIM haggle the correct price. Get a screen shot of the web site so you have some evidence.

If that fails to produce results, just send them back with a note that says, "F&$K you, have a nice day." Then go to a local parts store like you should've done in the first place for parts like these.

BTW, that part number is for either McQuay-Norris or Perfect Circle. Shady how they don't even mention the brand name on the site, no?

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:00 AM   #3
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri306
Sounds like you're getting boned. I tried your link, but it would not work for me.

Browsing the mustangs unlimited website, and using their search feature, I found the part number ES2108R. That is considered the inner tie rod end, as you know, but whomever came up with their naming scheme is on crack. It's true that it threads onto the end of the rack, but to call it a "socket"? That's plain stupid. It IS a ball and socket component, but that's just a wrong term for the part itself.
Thank you, thank you, thank you, I was thinking pretty much the exact same thing, on BOTH points

Quote:
Now for the price they publish on the site and what they charged you, I would say, "I DON'T GIVE A DAMN WHAT WAREHOUSE IT CAME FROM, YOUR SITE SAYS $19.99 EACH!" If they are the right parts, tell them to credit you the difference or you'll call a lawyer and have HIM haggle the correct price. Get a screen shot of the web site so you have some evidence.

If that fails to produce results, just send them back with a note that says, "F&$K you, have a nice day." Then go to a local parts store like you should've done in the first place for parts like these.
This is my biggest quandry, I'll have my new tires today, and was planning on doing the work this weekend, so either I'm going to have to do like you suggest and buy another pair locally, and continue the fight later, or eat it and use what I have I'll probibly call one stop in a few minutes and see if they have them in stock. At this point its become a matter of principal...Oh, BTW, still no email from them. (not even a conformation that my emails were recieved) I guess they figured that "we told him to send them back, the matter is done", so they don't need to reply....ooohhh my boy, how wrong you are

Quote:
BTW, that part number is for either McQuay-Norris or Perfect Circle. Shady how they don't even mention the brand name on the site, no?
Its kinda odd that you mention this, (I dont know the part numbers so I wouldnt have caught it), but the outer rods that I bought were labelled as flaming river...?!?

And once again, for anyone joining late, the company I'm having these problems with is: Mustangs Unlimited, again, thats MUSTANGS UNLIMITED....
(behold, the power of the internet )

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
Old 04-01-2005, 09:50 AM   #4
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Update:
Well, I just got off the phone with MU, (called the GA location, apparently the CT warehouse handles all email/online stuff) and they were willing to try to fix things, and give me $40 in store credit, (half of which will go for a backordered part from the same order).
I would rather have just had the money back, but I'll give them another chance
Kinda funny though, the guy (Scott, owns a '92) suggested calling the GA store in the future. Didn't sound like he had a lot of faith in his northern brethren, LOL

J