MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-21-2001, 01:43 PM   #1
ronny50
Registered Member

Post Anyone else irritated with dumb questions

Why do people always ask

1. What sounds better Flows or Mac?

Who Fricking Cares.

2. Or When I do this whole list of bolt-ons that will really never happend, Will I be able to Run 10's

3. My Favorite

How to I put a 302 in 4 cyl car?

I really love that question.
Like if your Broke *ss couldn't afford a 5.0 some how your gonna afford to build a 10's V-8 Street machine.

ronny50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 02:16 PM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

They may be anoying questions, but I remember when I first came here I didn't know squat. I's sure I asked some dumb questions, but some of the more senior guys responded to my questions and now I'm wiser than before.

It is easy to simply not click on the subject and avoid the post altogether if they anoy you.

------------------
1995 Mustang GT
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 02:20 PM   #3
Stang Runner
Registered Member

WHAT do you mean I have a stang and am going to get a 4 cyl car and put a v8 in it. My stang is not a drag car!!!
Hope I was not to hard on you I have not made a post on that.

------------------
14.28@103.0 on a G-Tech Engine: Steal Mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, Home ported Lower Intake, No power steering, No A/C
Drive Train: 3.55, World Class T-5,
NOW it is time for Real power STUFF I Have and will put on after I get everthing: Mac cold intake, 70MM TB, Valve covers (COOL ONES)255 Fuel pump NOS Dry 75HP.
Next to get: Rocker Arms,Cam,TFS Heads,Injectors 24,Holley Intake, What might I need???See It at <A HREF="http://www.computerconquest.com" TARGET=_blank>www.computerconq
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 02:20 PM   #4
jimberg
Registered Member

Yeah, 2 is funny, but 3 is very practical.

The benefits of putting a 5.0 in a 4 cyl body is that the body is probably in better shape because it isn't under as much physical stress. 4 cyl Mustangs are also a lot less expensive than 5.0s. Why pay a lot more for something you plan to replace with the engine you have? If my frame were to crack, or my torque boxes were thrashed, I would probably just buy a 4 cyl LX and move all of my performance parts over.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 02:36 PM   #5
ronny50
Registered Member

Please my post was not to offend.

For those with the V-8 to 4-Cyl.
The idea and construction of such a car is
a excellent strategy in creating a Street Machine. But the People who actually do such work wouldn't post such broad questions as to how it would be done. My point was strictly about the dreamers who are constantly asking question about situations that they will know will never happen.

I to believe this is a great site for learning. But BUT when some people ask questions about the sound of a muffler or the Ultimate street fighter that will never truly see the road. I think is the reason why the rest of us can't get answers to concerns that are truly apperent.

My Goal is to simply make people think before they ask questions.

ronny50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 04:22 PM   #6
Old Guy with 87 GT
Registered Member

let peaple ask what ever they want.......peaple learn by asking questions......none of us knew everything about cars when we started....what seems dumb to you, might be somthing someone on a different knowlege level wants to learn.....all three of your examples are legitimate questions in my opinion.....
if my "broke a*s" only had so much to spend on mufflers i'd want to know what other mustang enthusiasts like before i bought them.....
if you want to find a good engine combo.....seems like a wise thing to do is ask others what they think will get me into the times i want to turn......even if my "broke a*s" couldn't afford it...i'd still like to know what to buy when and if i could afford it
and if my "broke a*s" can't afford a v8 car then it would seem like a good alternitive to buy a 4 cylinder and put a v8 in it.....and i'd be asking questions to gain some insights before i attemted the job

i know you didn't intend to offend anyone ,but you did.....i have a pretty limited budget and i know others in this sport also have small budgets......just becouse somone can't go right out and spend 2 or 3 grand on ther stang dosn't mean ther questions are dumb....and just becouse somone dosn't know as much and asks a trivial question,dosn't mean that it's dumb

sorry if i seem rude ,but i just wanted to put my 2 cents in on this subject.....wait a minute my "broke a*s" can't afford 2 cents

------------------
i'm really a not so old guy with 87 gt.......87gt,T top -169,000 on odometer-14.7 qt.m/80 capri(future project)
Old Guy with 87 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 04:24 PM   #7
bada$$lx

This site has all sorts of Stang owners.... those that do there own work, those that don't, those that want drag cars, those that want street cars, those that want to make hp/engine mods and those that want cosmetic and suspension mods. Sometimes the questions do get silly, but some people sometimes honestly don't know, but care to find out. That's the great thing about the "topic" - we can easily see those topics we don't want to respond too.
Old 09-21-2001, 06:00 PM   #8
andy669
Registered Member

So let me get this straight ronny50. "Chrome pony rims or not" must be the smartest question ever asked here?!? Like the other guys said, you dont have to read them, its not mandatory. Alot of the people that post here are younger kids just starting to get their feet wet. Why discourage them from asking and learning?
andy

------------------
3 Black 94 GT Vert. AODE/TKO conversion, 3:73's, ported X-305's, GT40 manifolds, 75mm TB, 30lbers, PMS, 300 horse Top Gun wet kit, and all the other little stuff
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 06:02 PM   #9
PKRWUD

Posted in forums by Newbies who need to be slapped:
Quote:
My car makes a funny noise. What's causing it?

or

Quote:
My car feels funny. What's wrong?
Granted, these may be valid starting point questions for those who still imagine we mechanics as being telepathic know-it-alls, but c'mon. I often feel like replying with: I don't know. By the way, do you like this shirt better or this shirt?", with of course, no pictures.

People need to understand that the more info they provide, the better help they will receive. I belong to a network of ASE certified technicians, in which you can fill out a report asking for assistance from the other members. It is then forwarded to thousands of techs worldwide. The form has a few mandatory fields that have to be filled out, which help alot. I have always wished that Dan the Great would figure out a way of adding something like this to any posts that are started in these forums that are requesting help. Below is an example of what I'm talking about:

Quote:
1992 Ford Pickup F350

Engine: 5.8 L / 351 CID
Fuel: Fuel Injection / EFI
Ignition: Distributor-Breakerless / TFI
Trans: 4-speed Automatic (Electronic)
Mileage: 99,000 mi
Emissions: CA EMISSION
VIN: 2FDJF37H8NCA46204

Symptoms: No Start
Occurs: Intermittently

______ TEST AND REPAIR DATA ______

Checked for codes and none were found.

TESTING AND RESULTS

Fuel Pressure - Normal after replace pump

RELATED REPAIR HISTORY

Replaced:
Fuel pump, Ignition Coil, ECM, Pickup Coil,Ign.Module.
Plugs,wires and cap.
I think this would not only help out those of us who primarily try and help with fixing problems, but would also help the newbies to understand the kind of information that is needed just to start an attempt to solve their problem.

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

My site: JimPorterRacing

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!

[This message has been edited by PKRWUD (edited 09-21-2001).]
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 07:39 PM   #10
srv1
Get down.....

Exclamation

i agree with ronny and PKRWUD. some questions are just plain silly. i understand about asking questions when i was just learning(and always will), but questions like PKRWUD used for examples, is just mind boggling! if you are new to the car scene or you wont to learn more, then this is the place, but ASK QUESTIONS USING MORE DETAIL!! that can help everyone out. the more you tell us, the better the chance for a correct answer. i got to admit, PKRWUD and ronny made me laugh. oh and old guy, you know it when your a broke a s s when the Amish people you live near, pass you in their horse and buggy! haha j/k. its been awhile since i replied to you at all. you also make an intersting point, but relax! no one is pinpointing you! i think he was generally speaking! im in the same boat as you. i had the car for about 2 years and these are the mods i have so far. i got admit, alot of stuff for our Stangs is usually reasonably priced, but their is so much pieces to put together that make it so DAMN EXPENSIVE!!!

------------------
90 LX Black on Black
Flowbabies, h-pipe, Mac unequal shorties, K&N, Hurst, subframes, Motorsport springs, MSD coil
srv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 07:54 PM   #11
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dumbass----

My car isn't running right after I added all my mods. What's wrong????
After that, it's like pulling teeth to get the mod list. Ram air, non-MAF, 75mm T/B, stock intake, 36lb/hr injectors, X cam, stock heads, 1 5/8" equal shorties, stock H pipe, flows w/dumps, 2.73 gears, 255LPH fuel pump, 160* thermostat, 25* timing, hotwired fuel pump relay (to prevent fuel starvation), 205/65 R15 Goodyear Regatta Touring tires, homemade cross drilled rotors, removed A/C, P/S disconnected, no air pump, pulled fuel pressure regulator vacuum line, disconnected fuel pressure regulator (didn't want it to starve monster engine).

.... Yep, that's where I quit answering. I don't have the heart to threaten to kill them.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 09:44 PM   #12
crewzin
Registered Member

I think some of the questions do get repetative. I know I have asked some questions that may seem crazy/stupid or just plain dumb, but if you know that answer and dont offer it up me or someone else will have to ask it again later. Ive helped those that I could and was helped in return by others. I look at it like this,You scratch my back I scratch yours. There will always be a younger crowd trying to cut their teeth in this hobby/way of life, help em like you were helped. I think the SEARCH is the most usefull thing on this board, you can look back on any topic and read the answers your looking for, most of the time.It works. Later...

[This message has been edited by crewzin (edited 09-21-2001).]
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2001, 10:29 PM   #13
rbatson

Talking

LMAO!! I like the first shirt better.

Loose ground cable on the truck.

I got sooo tired of answering "the generic chip" question I quit going to 5.0 tech as much. Over and over I see this question. (BTW: A generic chip was one of my first "waste of money" performance decisions.)

If I wanna know what sounds better I listen to exhaust around town and when I hear one I like I ask the guy what exhaust he has.

I've thought of doing the 4 cyl to 8 swap before, not by myself ofcourse(LOL) . I'm actually considering taking my engine out of the vert and buying a $300 4 cyl notch, the vert is really not taking the power as well as I'd like(not to mention its heavy as heck).

But everyone has to start somewhere. Before I got into mustangs I didn't know the difference between a sb or longblock, not to mention the performance lingo. Neither did anyone else until.. SOMEONE TOLD THEM(or they read it). I know what your saying because I made a post a long time ago saying we should make a page that answers the simple quick bolt on hp, what this and that and CHIPS! It seems there is but many people don't go there or realize its there. I say, let the people ask whatever they want, if you don't like it then skip over it(don't reply). Easy fix..

As far as the broke*** comment, I don't think its good to judge someone by the amount of readily available cash. I saved parts in my closet for 2-3 years before they actually went on/in the car and I had fun doing it. $2k on the card, pay it off, $3k on the car, pay it off, $400 on.. off. Anyhow..

Before I 'Submit Reply' I'd like to ask this: What fuel pressure should I set my car at and how much hp will long tubes give me??
Old 09-21-2001, 10:46 PM   #14
mustang marty gt

they may be dumb question's, but sometime,s people don't know and need a little help, i'm a little older ,but try to learn something new everyday i asked about , the , 245 / 45 goodyear 17 inch tire's that came on my 00gt never got a reply, i just wanted to know if anyone has had a problem with blowout's on them ,mine has had 2 blow out's with less than 11,000 mile's my dealership or goodyear also told me too bad, wtf ,331.00 each pi-- on them , last blow out i bought ajap tire , hate to say it but iseem's to be a better tire $ cheaper ,will probably get 3 more. any suggestion's.

------------------
Old 09-21-2001, 11:25 PM   #15
rbatson

I found out the hard way with the cobra I had, if the tire gets the least bit slack for whatever reason.. the tire will blow out. The whole side will just blow out. You can't get a tire warranty for a 17" or bigger rim for that very reason, I was told by the tire dealer. I had BFG ZR1s on that car.
Old 09-22-2001, 12:55 AM   #16
Capri306

Everybody here has had some valid points. I don't believe, however, that repetition is too terrible of a problem. There's always new 'Stangers here with valid concerns and they're almost all willing to learn. I agree that some questions posted are about as broad as can be. Some of my customers are like that; for example, "My car won't start, what's wrong?" My usual reply? "It's a Chrysler," or, "nothing, it's the driver." Hehehehe.

I think we need to make a few points clear, though:

1. Horsepower costs money. A LOT of money. You will only go as fast as your wallet is deep, hence the saying, "how fast can your afford?" Guys with 10-sec cars have spent way more than a grand in parts alone to get there, I guarantee it. I plan on developing a mathematical formula to accurately proportion speed vs. money very soon to alleviate this problem.

2. If you absolutely need a Chilton's or Haynes just to change a fuel filter, you need to be reading that manual cover-to-cover every time you're not busy, waiting for your GF to come over, the kids to get off the bus, at the dentist's office, on the pooper, etc. Well, that's how I learned a lot. Make sure you get GOOD books, too. Not the whackjob-written ones.

3. Questions need to be specific, with a full list of mods that are RELEVENT to the problem. Removing your air silencer is not causing your Mustang to lose fuel pressure, and your ground effects aren't causing a lifter tick. Sorry.

4. This one is very easy. MAKE THE QUESTION EASY TO READ AND UNDERSTAND. If we can't read OR understand the problem, it makes it damn-near impossible to even guess what's wrong. Capitalization & punctuation are all I ask; grammar and spelling are options.

I don't think this is too much to ask. Anyone else? Just remember we're not all rocket scientists or automotive engineers (like me ), but we're not mind readers or ESP certified either.

Ha, that last one reminded me of what we were going to do at my store. We were going to get a Magic 8 Ball and keep it under the counter for customers who don't even know what kind of car they drive.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!"
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 01:37 AM   #17
mustang marty gt

Thumbs up

thank's rbatson i thought the gatorbacks were great, the wife barely bumped a curb on the first one the second one we were on our way to go to the brickyard 400 stopped for a pis uh mean pit stop got in the car heard flopping noise, got out , had two huge blown out spot's in the side wall's , guess , i wiil save a few buck's and get different tire's . thank's. do the b f's have a stronger sidewall , i'm old school , used to 14 , 15 inch tire's thanks agaIN.

------------------
Old 09-22-2001, 07:55 AM   #18
rbatson

It was a BFG that I had the blowout with, I think the only way you can avoid having a blowout (with 17" rims and up) is to keep a check on the tire pressure. I bought wider tires for the rear, after the blowout. I don't recommend Oshitsu tires at all. I got better traction with the bfg 245s than the 275 Oshitsu tires.

BTW, there was a screw in the tire that blew out, must have picked it up earlier that day(new years eve, blowout was around 10:30 that evening-- ruined evening). I checked the damn tires constantly after that..

------------------
Rick
My 89lx(updated 7/20/2001)
Sold
Old 09-22-2001, 09:36 AM   #19
jimberg
Registered Member

As long as we're discussing what people should do to properly ask a question, here are a few things I wish people would do.

1. If your car just isn't running right, surging, high RPMs at stop lights, etc., you should pull and post your trouble codes (if there are any) along with the question.

2. Make sure that your User Ride is current and have a link to it in your signature. There's absolutely no need to list all your mods in your sig since they can be in your user ride entry.

3. List any of the modifications you made or unusual events that occurred since the engine was running fine.

3. Search the relevant forum and its archives for the answer before asking your question to make sure it hasn't already been answered.

4. Dan should create a read-only FAQ forum where the moderators could move and appropriately rename topics ( Probably in the form of a question that they answer ) that go into specific detail about some of those common questions. There are zillions of messages on timing, fuel pressure, pulling codes, resetting the computer, whether or not certain wheels will fit, exhaust, fuel injectors, spark plugs, air filters, etc.

Well, that's all I can come up with for now, but I'm sure others will come up with additional stuff.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 12:20 PM   #20
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I was one of the guys that came here not having any idea about what mods to buy for my car first. I asked similar questions. It helps to gain an idea of where to go with your car. Yeah, I'm one of the broke @ss guys that made posts like "Will this combo get me into the 12's" kinda stuff, but I learned what worked, and what didn't and now I have what I believe to be a very low 13 second car with street tires. What mods do you have ronny50? I'm just curious if this is a self realization or if you actually believe that all dreamers are never going to fulfill their dreams? I'm not far from mine and I'm one of the biggest dreamers I know.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote