MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-10-2002, 08:46 PM   #1
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Default To all you Canadians out there...9/11

I've got something on my mind and I need to say it.

As we approach this first anniversary of the destruction of the twin towers by those sub-human bottom feeders we call terrorists, the TV is crowded with specials, documentaries, and tributes to those who were killed or affected by the attacks. Just as I was beginning to think I've seen and heard every story (or one exactly like it) two or three times, I turn to PBS and hear one I hadn't heard before.

This documentary follows those American citizens on the hundreds of in-bound international flights that were diverted to Canada after the attacks. The story tells of people who had little or no information of what was happening at first. Most were told that they were diverting due to mechanical difficulties. However, when they landed and saw international aircraft from all over the world surrounding them, they knew that wasn't the case. Some were told at first only that the United States had been attacked. This horrifyingly incomplete answer was slowly added to over the next 24-30 hours that many had to remain on their aircraft. Next, they were slowly off-loaded and crowded into jam-packed airports to flock around televisions for news.

Here's the part that struck me. At airports all over Canada's seaboard where aircraft had been diverted, buses began arriving. Passengers were herded onto busses and driven to nearby towns, schools, clubs, and churches. There they were given a bed to sleep in, warm food, toiletries, and a chance to get some form of rest. Canadians came by the hundreds to volunteer their time, their work, their food, their supplies, and their love and friendship to American citizens who were stranded thousands of miles from home while their nation mourned and prepared for the uncertain future.

I just wanted to say "thank you" to all the Canadians on this site. God bless all of you who mourned as we mourned and watched in horror as we did at the events of 9/11. And especially "thank you" to all those who gave a little bit of home to those of our country stranded far from their homes and families. Despite all the joshing and bantering we do at one another's expense, I am thankful that we have neighbors who are willing to arise to the occasion and help their neighbors in need.

I will forever remember were I was, exactly how I felt, and all of my thoughts of that day. I'm sure each of you will as well.

Once again, God bless you all from the bottom of my heart.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT

Last edited by silver_pilate; 09-11-2002 at 03:18 PM..
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:13 PM   #2
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

Wow Nathan I did not know that!!! Thanks Canada!!!

Peace,
Karen
1969 Mustang (Project Rice Eater)
1999 Silver Mustang Saleen S281 (SQ car for stereo contests)
SQ Goddess
My Stereo Bro "tireburner163"
Shelby428cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:22 PM   #3
srv1
Get down.....

Nathan, where did you get that info?
Old 09-10-2002, 09:32 PM   #4
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

srv1,

It was on a documentary they played on our local PBS. I'll see if I can find a program guide and get the information for you. It was a side of the story I hadn't heard before. They had lots of interviews with people from America and Canada in which they told their stories. There was even some footage from a camcorder inside one of the planes capturing the expressions of the passengers as they were finally told after hours of waiting that the twin towers had been hit. One lady finally got through on her cell phone to someone at home and she cried out, "no!" Then she looked up at the people standing around her on the plane and said, "the twin towers are gone." There was footage from the airports that showed people watching what had happened three days earlier for the first time and the expressions on their faces.

What a trip for those people.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:07 PM   #5
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Wow, as a Canadian that really touched me man.... that was well written, and I'm sure I speak for most Canadians when I say your welcome. I know both the US and Canada poke jokes at each other in the media and as friends but we are a brother/sister to each other. And in anycase Canada will always be there to help the US, as we look for the US when we require there help. I was watching a program shortly after September 11th that was blaming Canada for letting the terriorists into the US because like 3 of the Terriorist lived in Toronto, which I found quite insulting. Because the border into the US is US Controlled. But I held no hard feelings because there wasn't to big of a deal made of it. When I first heard of the incident (I was just talking to my ex-gf about this) I was getting out of my class and my friend came and told me and I couldn't believe it, I spent most of the day trying to find out as much info... it was a pretty scary day to know how the world has changed forever.

Let Peace be with the souls that suffered on 9/11.
§am.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:36 PM   #6
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

That is very cool of you Canada. But isnt it true that Canada wont support us attacking Iraq?
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 11:41 PM   #7
jj_jonathon
Trisket

I'm was born and mostly raised in Canada....but I've spent the past 5 years in the United States and have been calling it home since before the attacks. I felt as heart-stricken as the majority of Americans that surrounded me in my high-school. I hit me hard to see such a wonderful piece of a nation's pride fall down in terror. That day was the first day I began to hold my hand on my heart for the pledge of alligence because before then, I may have felt like I belonged, but my heart never belonged in the United States. It did that day, and has since. I feel for those who lost their lives and those who were affected by the losses. I held American flags, wore American colors and clothing, and flew the American flag off the side of my mustang for pride as I blared "I'm proud to be an American" from the stereo through town. It was a horrific terrorist attack that back-fired; despite the losses and the devestation, this country built up its morale and stood even more proud, after 9/11, to be an american. We took special leaps and bounds to see our economy continue to roll and put smiles on our faces to show that "you can't stop freedom". What a great country to live in and be a part of.

Canadians are notorious for being friendly. But I'm sure that if any other freedom-loving country were closer, they would have shown the exact same hospilality as the neighbors to the north did.

This is one of the greatest countries in the world. It deserves help when it needs it too.

Let's keep morale high and remember those lost from evil one year ago today. I'll be wearing my pin and colors.

Jonathon

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 12:22 AM   #8
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

thank's canada, salute, i told you montreal was my second fav hockey team, j/k, i wonder if mexico would have helped like that, not. go canada.

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 01:00 AM   #9
jj_jonathon
Trisket

mexico doesnt have the same capaibilities for helping as canada does..

My 02GT vert
Media Center Pics
BBK Underdrive Pulleys | K&N FIPK (Gen II) | Bullet Grille | Mach 1 Chin Spoiler | UPR Interior Parts | XM Radio | Audiobahn Subs

Ricer Hater's Club Member #1/2 (30) http://www.ricehatersclub.com/
jj_jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 01:04 AM   #10
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Arrow THANKS.

WOW...that was deep, and I agree, VERY well written Silver_Pilate. Ive been so engrossed with other stuff...this has kinda snuck up...till I picked up Caitlin tonight, and she was talking about how they were having Red White and Blue day. Showing me all the ribbons for her hair and her r,w and b jewelry, and picking out her clothes. She wants me to get her to school EARLY tomorrow cuz all the kids are gonna gather outside before school to say the Pledge of Allegiance and sing songs...then It kinda hit me all over again. Put a lump in my throat...
Thanks to our allies over that northern Border...
And ya'll dont forget about your head lights all day tomorrow. (today)
TNT

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 01:13 AM   #11
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Wow.. I never knew that either! I always am very thankful to have such a great country to our North! Cheers CANADA!
Old 09-11-2002, 06:00 AM   #12
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Well our military is next to useless and our Prime Minister is a freakin idiot. Trust me I want to help nuke Iraq. I think we should send a big a** bottle of maple syrup as a gift to Saddam and when we opens it up BOOM!!! Ha Ha you didn't see that bomb did you, camel jockey!

Anyway.... I was living in the US when 9/11 happened, it was scarey. And even though our government is a bunch of morons, the rest of Canadians did what they could to help our friends to the South. One lady in Northern Ontario created a huge ice statue of the statue of libery and an angel. The state was almost the size of her house! When some of my co-workers saw the picture they cried they were so touched by the heart felt sympathy by many, many Canadians. Truse me the people are behind you.

I could think of no other country I would rather have at my border. America is a great country, never forget that (just don't let it get to your heads ).

America, Canada like peanut butter and jam, Turner and Houch, Batman and Robin, Rye and Coke, Burgers and fries, McDonalds and fat people!

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 11:30 PM   #13
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Thumbs up

Well written, Silver Pilate and thank you. I remember seeing all the planes in the sky being diverted to the Vancouver airport and the outpouring of support and offers from citizens to give people who were stranded a place to stay in their own homes. I guess you could say we've got your back.