MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-02-2002, 10:31 PM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default question about air compressors

I'm thinking about buying an air compressor but don't know much about them. I saw one at wal-mart that had a 13 gal. tank and 5hp motor that ran off 120v AC.
Would this be enough power to remove most bolts that an average hot rodder would encounter in his garage?
I think it was rated for up to 125psi
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:06 PM   #2
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Buying an air compressor is a lot like buying a boat. I told my wife the boat was all I ever wanted. Yeah right! Did you know there are 2.2 million accessories for the compressed mechanic?
I'm sure there are many more posts to come but here's what I've learned about compressors over the last 8 years and three compressors.
Unless you just like a lot of noise. . . all the time, don't buy an oilless compressor. They will drive you nuts in about 18 minutes, especially in a closed garage. If it's a 5 horse then do your self a favor and have 220 wired in and rewire the motor for the higher voltage. (most 5 horse motors are capable of being wired for 220) I burned up my first 120 vac motor in less than a year. The lower voltage just doesn't pack enough whallop for the big compressor pump and after a while it will begin to just sit there and hum when it tries to start. This is especially prevalent when it's cold and there's already pressure on the tank. It will also use less electricity due to less load on the motor. Yes you can get by with a 120 vac unit but going to 220 is like putting gears in a Mustang. Once you do it you'll wonder how you got by without it.

The biggest single improvement after that is find the largest tank you can scrounge. It will give you more reserve air and you can work longer on smaller jobs without making the thing run all the time. Gebo's sells a receiver tank just for this very thing. I think it's something like 20-30 gallons (about the size of a large shop vac) and all you do is plumb it into your compressor tank hose fitting and you're of to the races. Also, look at the actual air flow at 100 psi. I'd like to see higher than 10 cfm but that's me. It just means that the compressor will be able to keep up easier with the higher demand air tools you'll be using. The higher the better.
Anyway, my two cents worth.

The short of it? Get the compressor if it's one that will do the job for you. If you can do all the other things I mentioned (and I'm sure there's some folks on here that know a lot more than I do about the subject) and incorporate any other suggestions into your game plan you'll be that much further ahead of the game.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:10 PM   #3
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Gawd, I feel like Jim here.

Concerning you original question, yes a 5 horse compressor should work fine for just about anything you need to do with it in the average garage. I've run lots of tools off mine and sometimes you have to wait for it to catch up (air files and other assorted sanders) but it puts up enough to do the job. FYI, 125 is about the highest pressure you will see in a consumer type compressor and it's plenty for any air tool. It's the air flow(@90 psi) that you need to check.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:14 PM   #4
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

it should be good for around the house, the one we have at work is huge, forgot the spec's on it, but it's only 120 psi & we use a 1 inch impact to take off bus wheel's, just get a good impact. 400-650 foot lb's of tourqe, they either come off or break

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 01:11 AM   #5
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally posted by MEDIK418

Unless you just like a lot of noise. . . all the time, don't buy an oilless compressor. They will drive you nuts in about 18 minutes, especially in a closed garage.
Man will i ever 2nd that !! I have an oilless compressor and it drives me insane ! One of the worst purchases i've ever made ... who ever invented those things should be shot !
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 03:19 AM   #6
PKRWUD

Hehehe, yeah, the first thought I had when reading your question was to tell you to avoid oilless compressors. They will drive you crazy alot faster than 18 minutes. The compressor I have used for the past 7 years is a Cambell Hausfeld 6hp/30 gallon that requires oil. It's 120 vac, and I've never had trouble with it in my garage, but sometimes when I would take it with me to a job site, I'd have trouble because I needed an extension cord. The general rule of thumb is to use a longer air hose instead of an extension cord.

Make sure you drain the water at least once a month, and always oil your tools. If you don't plan on using it for painting, you can install an inline oiler, which works killer. The quality of your tools does matter, too. If it costs less than $50, it's probably better suited for a door stop than an impact gun. Make sure that you use impact sockets instead of chrome sockets when using an impact gun, too. The chrome ones are not as strong, and tend to shatter like glass when they break.

Once you get a compressor, you will wonder why you didn't buy one sooner!

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 03:29 AM   #7
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

Here's a question regarding oiling your tools:
I haven't used my air tools in months and went to use them the other day and had no oil left, and they didn't work, you could hold the ratchet end and it wouldn't spin in your fingers. Are they ruined, or do i just need to oil them good?
Old 12-03-2002, 03:34 AM   #8
PKRWUD

They're fine, unless they were on the deck of your ocean going boat. Hold them pointed down, depress the trigger, and squirt in some oil (I always use Marvel Mystery Oil), hook up the air, wrap a rag around the head, and apply the air. Reverse the direction a few times, and it should be fine.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 12-03-2002, 03:51 AM   #9
joe4speed

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
They're fine, unless they were on the deck of your ocean going boat. Hold them pointed down, depress the trigger, and squirt in some oil (I always use Marvel Mystery Oil), hook up the air, wrap a rag around the head, and apply the air. Reverse the direction a few times, and it should be fine.

Take care,
~Chris
Whew! Thanks! I definitely didn't want to spend big bucks for new tools!!!

And tell me more about this ocean going boat I own? I like the sounds of it!
Old 12-03-2002, 06:12 AM   #10
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by joe4speed
And tell me more about this ocean going boat I own? I like the sounds of it!
You remember, that one you lost to me in Poker last month, remember? I'm supposed to pick it up when I'm down there in March.

Silly Joe.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 12-03-2002, 09:08 AM   #11
joe4speed

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
You remember, that one you lost to me in Poker last month, remember? I'm supposed to pick it up when I'm down there in March.

Silly Joe.

Take care,
~Chris

Oh yeah, the 64 footer!! I almost forgot!
Old 12-03-2002, 09:35 AM   #12
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by joe4speed
Oh yeah, the 64 footer!! I almost forgot!
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!