MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-06-2001, 07:04 PM   #1
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Post Time to kill car salesman

Ok, check it. My wife and I bought our car from a "Performance" car dealer in BFE. Now the guys there know thier stuff, and I have no complaints about that, but read on.
This past week end I decided that it was time to change the sparkplugs, seeing as it has been about 60K miles or so, with very little harsh driving on them. I pull out the driver's side plugs, check the gaps, and they weren't perfect, but livable. Autolite 745's I think.
On to the passenger side. Well, I pulled out the first one, and it was a Motorcraft plug. Now, this bothered me, but I could live with it. I checked the gap, and I nearly fell to the floor. .080" !!!!!!! WTF?!?
The rest of them were fairly consistant gaps, and were all Motocraft. I have developed a theory, tell me how ploausable it is.
The original owner bought the car and decided that he wanted NOS, so he pulled the plugs and re-gapped them. When he sold the car, he didn't change the gap, but took off the NOS. The dealer bought the car, and started to change the plugs and once they saw how difficult it was, just stopped.
Makes me want to rip someone's testes off.
Anyway, it's a miracle that the car runs as strong as it does, and now it seems to run a tad bit quicker. My life sux, well...most of the time.
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 07:19 PM   #2
Power
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhitecobra:
...Makes me want to rip someone's testes off....
I would like to be a spectator to that fiasco.

Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2001, 07:30 PM   #3
Power
Registered Member

I can add my story to this, but mine turns out good in the end.

A year and half ago I was purchasing a new car and had ridden to the lot with a friend. I had talked down the salesman on a new (2000) focus and was about done with the deal. Seeing as how I was buying the car my buddy leaves. As soon as he leaves the salesman comes back to me and says his manager won't let him do the deal we talked about.

Instead he suggests I purchase a smaller car(i was only spending around 15k), one that was "more in my price range". So he leads me out to a festiva, a old prelude, and a small truck. The truck is the little ranger with nothing at all, basic bones only. I calmly tell him where to put it and he suggests we go over to the "Sister" lot and see what they have. So we do and I finally found a decent Acura Integra (96) that isnt in too bad of shape. I complete the deal and return home. Now to put this in to perspective, I am about to be deployed and needed it for my wife to drive.

Here is where it gets good, take note future car buyers. I knew the bank they were going to finance me through and called them on Monday(purchase was on Friday). I let them know that the car was a lemon(flat tire on the way home) and that I was returning it and not to finance me. They said ok after some verification and hung up. Then I called the car lot and said that I would return the car but was currently on deployment.

My wife drove the car for 35 days, and then we returned it. They complained about mileage charges and me signing a contract and yada yada yada, but they had sold me a car the was by definition a lemon. In hawaii, its against the law to sell lemons so I got to return it.

Yeah, I suppose I could have gotten into legal trouble but it was worth taking it back to them and giving them a big **** you.

Another fun thing to do is just drive through lots really slow and let the salesman walk beside you trying to convince you to get out. They get tired of walking after a bit.....
Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 01:53 AM   #4
moosejaw
Registered Member

Wink

Yeah, those salesmen. Once they see the DOD sticker and the haircut they start salivating like a dog. I remember being in Norfolk, VA (Nof*ck, V*gina) and not being able to spit without hitting one of those "We finance E1 and up" signs.

Ridiculous.

Mike

------------------
Live near St.Louis?
Check out Mustang Muscle and Dyno in High Ridge, MO
Check out my ride.
moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2001, 03:07 AM   #5
84stangLX

At the dealership i work at the "vultures" circle and swarm to each person that isn't wearing something that says FORD in plain letters. We had a big veterans day sale (let's remember those who have died for our country by SELLING CARS!!!!) Anyways, they blocked off the road and had a tunnel I would have to drive through to get to the employees lot....Needless to say, when they saw my POS '84 stang pulling towards them 4 of the 5 stood up, most with smiles and one was rubbing his hands in anticipation....Thank god for the entrance just before the "road block" i took a quick entrance and one followed me (didn't get the hint i guess) and i drove directly into the shop and parked in an empty stall.
God i hate salesmen. In my opinion they're just below lawyers, trying to convince you need something you don't necessarily need in the name of profits and there's probably more salesmen than lawyers by far.
Sorry to any salesmen out there, but I hate being harrassed.

------------------
'84 Mustang 5.0 LX
My car