MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-15-2002, 08:03 AM   #1
Lurker
Registered Member

Default Question

I'm thinking about Purchasing a new 2003 V6 GT Tiburon. If anyone knows some more information on them, or can till me if they own one and how well it works. I pretty much am hooked on this car, because a couple of my friends own them and they seem to be so much better than the older Tiburons. The older ones would have so many problems after a month or two, however my two friends have only had to go back to the deal to get free oil changes and thats it. I'm looking at spending about 19K-21K on it.

If you guys can't help me out, do you know by any chances a Tiburon forum I could maybe go too? Also how many different kind of upgrades can I get with a Tiburon, because the base HP is about 180, which is a little low for a V6, but aww WTF.

Thanks A Lot
Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 09:53 AM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

For 20K you could pick up a new GT. A member here(Unit 5302) just picked up a BRAND new loaded GT for 20K. Then you can have twice the hp of the hyundei

To be perfecty honest I would not buy a hyundei, my g/f has a 2002 Senata and it already has squeaks and rattles and funny noises that the dealer says are "normal"

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 10:33 AM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Do yourself a favor and test drive a stang.

This is the best advice that you will ever get....plus you would smoke your friends in the Tiburons.

Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 11:08 AM   #4
Lurker
Registered Member

So are you guys saying I could get a Mustang GT for 20K? How much would that probably be in month payments, because I'm only making 850 a month...I'm 19, my insurance would be threw the roof (about 200+) and My car payment would have to be at least 280+. Think about that. For a tiburon, it is only a V6 and my insurance will be about 120 on it also my car payment will be more like 180-220 a month. It is a lot less for a 19 year old working at best by 60 hours every two weeks. If you guys can think of a better aternative I would really like your help.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:18 AM   #5
Lurker
Registered Member

I just checked right now with dealers by my house. I have a Mustang Coupe Deluxe going for 18'000 (V6), and I have the Mustange GT's going for 23'000. The convertables are going for 24'000. Everything but the "normal" mustang is out of my price range. The sad the about the plain old mustang is my Tiburon beats it not in HP, but in speed. A stock mustang that is a V6, can't out accel, a stock Tiburon GT for almost the same price. I'm pretty much sticking with the Tiburon unless someone can making me think otherwise.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:58 AM   #6
The Deuce
Registered Member

Dude, if you want a sport car but can't afford the Mustang, check out the SVT Focus. It would be a way better choice than the Tib.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 12:13 PM   #7
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Hey Lurker. Welcome to Mustang Works. Cant remember if you new or not, but greetings either way.

When I was out shopping for new cars, I almost...ALMOST made the mistake of buying a 2000 Mazda Miata. I came so Dam Close. I didnt even go look at the stangs because everyone said they were so expensive.

Well, I decided to go see how "Expensive" they were for myself. Thank God! I walked around, and saw the 22,000-26,000 sticker prices and was about to walk off (Although the Birds and Camaros averaged ALOT MORE) when a Salesman stopped me and asked why I was leaving already.

I test drove one (WIth out any REAL stick driving experience), a Black Fully loaded 2000 GT 5spd. I told them I'd be back to see if they had any Perfromance Red ones in.

I went back. No Red, so I left again after talking to that salesman. Told them I'd be back the next weekend. I went in again the following week, and they were ready for me. The guy said he didnt have any red Ones, and that it would be hard to find one, so they were willing to make me a KILLER deal on a Brand New Black Fully Loaded GT. The one that I test drove.

HONEST TO GOD, They had it on paper. $$ 18,900 and the car could of been mine. Brand New, never titiled. But I had to have RED. Its my trade mark. I told them if they found me a Perf Red GT, with a 5spd, I'd come and look at it.

2 weeks passed, nothing. So I called them and told them I found a Performance Red one at a Dealership in a nieghboring town, for a good price, But it was a Used 2000 GT. I gave them some sketchy details and told them I appreciated them looking.

They told me to give them one more week. Well 4 days later they called me and had a Perf Red GT 5spd shipped in. Brand new, never titled. It wasnt fully loaded, No leather, No Traction Control, no Mach 460 (But those all add wieght ).

I took it for a quick spin, Loved it, and started the bargaining game. After Tax, Tags, License Fee's I got it for a hair under 20,000. It came to like 19,900 and some change.

I look back and shudder. I almost bought a Miata...Argh..

About the new Tribuion. I think there sweet looking little Cars. I wouldnt mind having one for a 2nd driver vehicle, of course I'd rather have another Mustang for that. For some reason I think they look like Mini-Mustangs.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 12:31 PM   #8
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

Default Why buy new?

Are you dead set on buying a brand new car? Being 19 and in your situation, I would suggest getting something just a few years older. It will save you a lot of money upfront and lower your insurance costs.

Of course, I would recommend a Mustang...maybe a 97-98 GT. I know in my area you can find them at good prices. I just saw a beautiful triple black 97 convertible GT for just under 11,000. It had 60,xxx miles on it, leather, and Cobra R wheels. That car would run cirlces around the Tiburon and looks much better. Of course, not going with a convertible would save you even more....the above was just an example.

But, whatever you decide to go with, buying a used vehicle at this stage rather than a brand new Tiburon GT would seem like a better route. A car that is a few years old and has been well cared for will hold up as well as something new, plus you will be able to get more car for your money buying used. Just my 2 cents. Plus, with the cheaper cost and less strain on your budget, you will be able to afford to modify your vehicle, whether it be engine modifications, stereo equipment, etc.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 01:22 PM   #9
Lurker
Registered Member

But basically I can't find anything used that I want. I already bought a 3500 95' Saturn SL1. The trade in value on that right now is about 2800-3200. I've done some looking, I live in Arizona and I haven't found jack for car's. I found a 2002 Eclipse GT with 45'000 miles on it for 16'000 (basically that is bullshit). I haven't found a single Mustang GT 2001-2002 for under 18'000 (with up to 24'000 miles not more). I only want the new Tiburons because they don't **** out on you like the older ones. So, truthfully, I'm in a jam for used cars. I don't want an older car, cause it takes way too much time to find a decent car that runs good and is well taken car of.

I'm so confused on what too look for, I mean I know an average amount about cars, I would say a little more so than the normal person. However, when it comes to shopping for a better buy my panties are in a bundle . I just need some direction, I will probably take my father with my car shopping, because he has done it before. But ultimatly I really would like a "new" car. More so than an old one. Since right now the Saturn I have vibrates like there is no tomorrow and between 1'500 and 2'000 RPM the car is really nasty jolts. The cars accel. is horrible compared to what it used to be back in 95', the average 0-60 time for that car was ruffly 10.4 seconds, now it is closer to 15 seconds. I've replaced the fuel injection, brack pads, all 4 tires, cooling fan, and the air conditioning. Pretty much this car is nickle and dimeing me to death. Stupid Saturn SL1 piece of junk
Old 06-15-2002, 02:00 PM   #10
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Question The unbearable lightness of buying

Lurker:

O.K. You prefer a new car to a used one, which is understandable, but I would strongly recommend thinking about a year-old car, a demo or a so-called executive car.

These generally have anywhere from 3,000 to 12,000 miles on them - hardly broken in - and you don't have the big depreciation loss. The downside is that you can't get as much for a loan on a used car but - you still have the remainder of the factory warranty in most cases.

As for what car to buy; you need to do more research and the internet is the easiest place to do that.

There are a ton of car-test/report sites. One is Edmunds; www.edmunds.com

I checked out a Hyundai Tiburon and they show a V-6 manual going for $18,500. MSRP. The site allows you to pick and chose options and you can also figure your trade-in value and insurance costs. You can do a comparison between the Mustang and the Tiburon in terms of cost, insurance and performance. For free.

These figures may be 'ball-park' but give you a base to work from. You can also check out the official Hyundai site and 'build' a Tiburon. http://www.hyundaiusa.com/

Ford has a website, too at http://www.ford.com where you can check out the new Mustang.

I can't see spending near $20,000. on a little Korean-made car that probably isn't anywhere near as well built and sophisticated as the Ford Mustang but do your homework and make your decision based on facts, not other people's opinions because everyone will tell you something different and on a Mustang website you're bound to get a majority opinion that will recommend buying a Mustang. Surprise!

That may ultimately be a good choice but insurance and gas mileage are a factor for you so maybe a V-6 'Stang would be better. As it's been stated; if you test drive a new Mustang, those asian 'sport' cars won't be half as attractive anymore.

Keep looking, use the internet and don't rush into anything. It's a lot of payments to make so get a good value and the car you really want to own, not a compromise that you'll end up hating a year later.

Best of luck to you.

Please let us know what you end up with.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 04:46 PM   #11
Unit 5302
Registered Member

The new Mustang GT's book at about $24000 MSRP. The Mustang currently has a $1500 rebate to dealer. That makes it $22500. Now, if you can get a deal, like I did, you can pick it up cheaper. I got mine fully loaded for $21,500. 2002. Brand new.

I would avoid a 1 year old car because of the interest rates. A new car will probably be just as cheap in a lot of cases with the $1500 rebate.

A new Mustang V6 you can probably pick up for under $17k with the rebate. It may not outrun the Tiburon, but with a 5spd and a good driver, it's a low 15sec car, and I know the Tiburon isn't gonna be much better than that.

There is no way you're gonna get a payment where you are talking about. With tax, title, license, and interest on a 5 yr loan that Tiburon is going to set you back about $300/mo with your $3k trade in. The Hyundai warranty is only as strong as the company, which has been unstable in recent history. It won't take much of a problem for the car company to fold, and there goes your warranty.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote