MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-14-2002, 02:57 PM   #1
7up
Registered Member

Default World Cup Soccer

Has anyone been watching the World Cup. I watch for about two minutes before I get bored, but I noticed a few things.

Everytime someone gets touched during a game they fall down and start crying. It is so annoying, they are such babies. As soon as they get a call they get up and are fine.

I think they should make soccer more like hockey. Put less people out there and open up the field so there is more scoring. Let them hit each other, that would make it a lot more exciting.

Well at least the defending champs France lost all three of its games without scoring a goal.

The US actually made it to the second round, woohoo.
Ricer Hater's Club-member #16
7up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 03:37 PM   #2
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

I guess most people are chearing for the US any other countries?
I'm chearing for Italy, my background being Italian and Canada not qualifing. We play South Korea next. I've been watching what ever games I can be awake for.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 04:06 PM   #3
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Bah... Brazil will kill everyone.

NEW CAR! - 2002 GT TrueBlue - Best Stock ET - 13.77

Old Lizard - 2000GT Electric Green - Best ET STOCK: 13.662 @ 100.2MPH
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 05:08 PM   #4
cad614

I've always enjoyed watching the Brazialians play, but I really hope our team can keep suprising everyone. I'd love to see the cup finally come to the USA.

I guess I haven't seen any particular plays where they fall down crying that would make me agree with you. I haven't seen anything as bad as some of our basketball players trying to get a foul call.

The field is 110 yds long and 70 yds wide, and considering there are only eleven players on each team (including the goalie), how much more open do you want it?

'95 GT Convertible
cad614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 06:12 PM   #5
7up
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cad614

I guess I haven't seen any particular plays where they fall down crying that would make me agree with you. I haven't seen anything as bad as some of our basketball players trying to get a foul call.

I seen more than a few plays where a player falls down grabbing his leg or back or something and appears to be rolling on the ground in pure agony. Once he gets a call or doesn't get a call he gets up and continues to play. It usually takes longer for them to get up when they don't get the call. The announcers today were even discussing how a player was on the ground waiting for a call before he would get up.

At least the NBA players don't pretend to be hurt when they are trying to draw a foul. They just complain or will flop every once in a while to try to draw a charge.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:16 PM   #6
7up
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cad614

The field is 110 yds long and 70 yds wide, and considering there are only eleven players on each team (including the goalie), how much more open do you want it?
I really don't know enough about soccer to be submitting rule changes, but it just seems really boring to me. Especially today when Portugal was stalling against South Korea to try and get a tie. Good thing it didn't work or the US would be out. I am starting to watch more and more soccer and the last few parts of games I have seen have been better.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:30 PM   #7
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

World Cup what??????

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 09:38 PM   #8
Hethj7
Mizzou Tigers

If you don't want to push yourself, play soccer.

This was on a shirt my old football coach used to wear. Not trying to start a flame war against soccer, but I don't care for the sport. The soccer players I know are babies. I will always pull for the USA, even in World Cup, but soccer in general I don't care for.

1990 LX
GT-40 motor 262 horsepower, 307ft-lbs (sold but forever loved)

1998 Contour SVT

Rice Haters Club Member #244
Hethj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 11:01 PM   #9
cad614

Guess I'm the lone soccer fan on the site.

It's a much different game than anything we're used to watching in America, so I can understand why most people aren't interested in it. If I'm not mistaken it was our women's team that first brought soccer into the spotlight here at home. The Women's World Cup in 1999, hosted in the USA, brought soccer (and women's sports) into our homes for the first time. Not only did it show us what soccer was, it also instilled a desire to play athletics in young girls who might never have played a sport before.

I'm sure there will be few who agree with me, and even more who will find numerous errors, but I hate to see the number one sport in the world viewed as "boring" and the players being "cry babies". I wish soccer would catch on in the states so that we could dominate this sport like we do so many others, but I'm sure that will never happen without a "comercial break".

'95 GT Convertible
cad614 is offline   Reply With Quote