MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-10-2004, 08:32 AM   #1
crazypete
Registered Member

Default Using hollowed interior panels as a subwoofer box? Any thoughts?

So this weekend after coming back from a trip, I got tired of having no trunk. It is dominated by this subwoofer box, an amp and a 12 disc cd changer. Dont get me wrong, I love my music the same as the next man but this was getting old.

So I was thinking: With the soundproofing gone, I have 2 giant hollow spaces behind the rear shock towers and 2 more under the 1/4 panel windows where the rear pockets/change bins are. I was thinking to sink the woofer speaker itself into one of these hollow spaces. This would be the best of both worlds and would give me my bass back and my trunk back too. I already fitted the cd changer and amp under the dash.

Has anyone tried something like this before and met with success? Any thoughts?
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior

Last edited by crazypete; 08-10-2004 at 08:54 AM..
crazypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:45 PM   #2
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

no, Thats won't work at all.. what speakers are you running? I love my bass to, but what I did was get the Small Triangle sub that they sell at circuit city and it fit great up against the back seat. I also mounted the amp in the box, there was no visable wires, no cuts or holes in any panels all factor looking.. I am not all about cutting and fabricating and looking rigged up on a mint car.. I have seen people get rid of there spare tire and mount there sub on a peice of ply wood and use the tire well as a box.. that give you all the space back.. the side panel idea won't hold bass, it will just rattle and be a mess... also you will collect dust on the oustide of the car from the magnetic pull from the magnet. thats my 02 cents...
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
crazypete
Registered Member

Well, I have jbl ovals in the back, kenwood tweeters and stock door speakers. I used to have the 10 inch woofered jbl powerwedge wooferbox and a kenwood amp. The kenwood is now powering the aforementioned speakers and I was going to put remove the jbl woofer speaker and mount it somewhere hollow and inline with the rear speakers. My spare well is already taken up by my battery and a lot of tools. I guess I could try wedging it under the dash somewhere.....

That would actually be kinda neat to have the dust collect in little circles on the side. I could freak out my friends and tell them the car is posessed!
91 GT Carb conversion, holley 600 double pumper, edelbrock performer intake, FMS "C" drop springs, march 1000 underdrive pullies, crane 1.7 roller rockers, GT-40P headers, bassani x pipe, american thunder catback, FMS 4.56's, msd aL6, trunkmount battery, A/C eliminator kit, 3000 stall tci streetfighter, AOD with transgo kit, A+ servo, 300M hardened lockup shaft, kevlar bands and 28,000 gvw trans cooler, 3 core radiator, 300 lbs stripped with a full interior
Old 08-10-2004, 03:41 PM   #4
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

HAAAA, thats pretty funny... crop circles... yea, I mean its all about the look you want and what you want to do to acheve it.. I like my cars stock looking interior spotless clean ( vacuum daily ) but crazy under the hood and nice pipes and wheels. all clean and neat of course. make a custom box made out of pine.. I did that.. only 2 pounds.. sounded good too.
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:45 AM   #5
crazypete
Registered Member

I make sure that my car looks bone stock. Only the truly discerning eye can tell that the suspension is a bit lower than it should be. Inside, looks bone stock. I discerning eye could see that the heater controls are missing. I replaced the knob panel with old vhs case plastic, the slightly textured kind which blends with the oem vinyl perfectly.

No thieves stepped up to the plate yet to gank my stock ford radio. Under the dash though, sits amps and cd changers.

Now, does a subwoofer need the speaker half to be on one side of the space and the tail to be on the other? Would a woofer function if you were to completely enclose it? I am generating air pulses. I am now thinking that under the 1/4 window interior panels is the place to go but you are TOTALLY correct in that sleeper/hidden look is the way to go.