MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-07-2002, 05:27 PM   #1
95-STANG-Gt
Registered Member

Default need help..car wont start

hey guys/girls..whats up??

not too good of a day for me and my ride..went shopping with my mother (she needed a ride) got there fine...went to leave ...car wouldnt start...thought it was the ignition fuses but wasn't..they were fine..so my guess it's teh alternator b/c atidle when i rev the battery guage moves up a little...and now that it doesnt start at all it proves the alternator is bad right?...so when i buy a new one what should i get??..another stock one??...by the way i have underdrive pulleys on on te alternator now..umm so which alternator should i buy???

thanks

-joe
B&M Shifter
mac cold air induction
hypertech u/d pulley set
michelin pilot xgt tires
95-STANG-Gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 08:13 AM   #2
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Sorry I didn't quote catch what you were saying? Does your alternator charge the battery? I'd buy a stock one, the 94+ mustangs had a larger alternator.

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 09:04 AM   #3
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

It's not your alt. Your guage moving with your RPM's is normal. Till u hit about 2,500 RPM's, your alt isn't doing a full charge. Ever got a jump start from some one, and have them rev the motor up? It's to get a better charge.

If all your lights work, and everything else, then your ok. I'd say it's your starter soleniod. This is located, usally on the left side of your firewall, on your fender. It's black, and has both your cable from your batt, to your starter. You'll also see either two, or one small wire going to your soleniod. This comes from your ignition switch(where your key goes in). Find a screw driver( if there is only one wire), and cross from your batt wire, to the small wire. See if it starts(tries to). If it does, u have a bad Ignition switch. If not, then it is the starter soleniod. U can bypass the soleniod by crossing from your batt, to your starter cable. Watch out for sparks. If this doesn't work, it's your starter. But u would have heard it going out beofer it did, usally.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote