MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-21-2002, 09:34 PM   #21
rbatson

I've never actually dropped a street bike in my life, even when I was rearended at 40mph(or so) 12yrs ago. This is the closest I've come to actually dropping one and it was wet out but still... I didn't drop it. All the weight on my ankle??.. YEAH!LOL

Now dirtbikes, I've enjoyed dropping a few of them in my life I remember taking my brothers yz125 out in the field behind our house and bringing it back with fenders bent all out of shape.. heeh.. that was fun. Falling off the seat but still holding onto the bars and chasing it 'til I finally pulled my butt back up on it... ahhhh.. those where the days Not fun on a street bike, I'd imagine. Don't wanna do that

As far as everyone dropping a 'street bike', I think that if you ride one long enough.. chances are you're gonna be in a situation that you will drop one. You may not but.. chances are you will sooner or later, though it may not be your fault.

What kinda bike did you get Kell?
Old 05-21-2002, 11:40 PM   #22
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I've had a 1993 Yamaha FZR 600 since last August. Finally pulled it out a couple weeks ago. I think my old KD125 was more fun. I never really worried about getting hurt on that thing, hehe.

Best event I had with that was dropping the clutch expecting to spin on some loose dirt, instead picking the front wheel straight up. LOL. Here I was just walking behind it. It was in 1st gear idleing along standing straight up with me reaching into the sky holding onto the handle bars. I eventually let it tip over to the side. I had no idea what I was gonna do for a few seconds. I was maybe 13-14? Something like that. LOL.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 02:38 AM   #23
The Deuce
Registered Member

Question To drop or not to drop.....

I agree with both Unit and JL that no one actually plans on wrecking a bike. It was something my MSF instructor told us on our first day. I always figured I would beat the odds, until I was airborne (yeah I went down highside) and thinking, "Yeah, he was right." It is just one of those things that if you can't stomach the idea that it would happen to you, then maybe you should stick to four wheels. I don't plan on dumping the new bike, and I hope we don't hear about anyone else on this board crashing.

I really don't want to belabor the point, or start some big confilct. I know people who have ridden for years and not crashed, and people in wheelchairs because they did. I also know people who fall into both categories from cars, crossing the street, etc.

Weither you expect to crash or not just defines the optomist/pessimist argument. There is a finite number of variables one can control when doing any activity. The only problem is the uncontrolled variable seems to be largest in Motorcycling. Or at least it is the activity that the most people consider to be useless and dangerous. I personally think that riding a road bicycle is more dangersous per mile ridden, but that is a whole other discussion.

Again, 89 sorry your soon to be family in laws had to deal with this. When he is all healed up beat some sense into him, and maybe 'encourage' him to take the saftey course. Any time I think of giving the bike up, I just go for a nice long ride and remember why I still have it. Hopefully you future bro-in-law will have more good memories than bad ones with bikes.

later-

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote