MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2002, 09:48 AM   #21
COUSIN ROB
Registered Member

A frequently asked questions catagory in the Modular Maddness section would be great. You know like....what exhaust system is loudest....Which shifter is best.....
COUSIN ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 12:29 PM   #22
lx mike
Undescribable

How about f.a.q section for all tech forums?

more smilies and being able to use more than 3 in a post.

how about getting rid of the post counter??

power adder forum might be something to look into having if there is enough interest.

custom user message under your user name with the option for the moderators to change/delete any that are questionable.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 03:46 PM   #23
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb One Suggestion

Dan:

Lose the post counter, please.

It encourages too many people to post garbage posts to rack up numbers which are ultimately meaningless and dilute the threads with pointless posts that offer nothing but another number added to someone's post count in some sort of insane race that means nothing at the end.

I say this as the guy with the top post count but also as one who is tired of seeing junk posted to make a number for someone.

This is a good time to do this.

Some will moan and wail but they'll adjust and those who post just to rack up numbers will drift off and we'll have a cleaner and more useful messageboard.
Old 07-11-2002, 04:14 PM   #24
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Quote:
A frequently asked questions catagory in the Modular Maddness section would be great. You know like....what exhaust system is loudest....Which shifter is best.....
Already on it....
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 04:23 PM   #25
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

I didn't really think MW had a big problem with post whores...there was 1 or 2, but they don't even post that much anymore. If we're talking about cluttering up the boards, LONG *** SIGNATURES should be done away with before the post count...

I'm all for making really helpful users moderators. Especially the ones that post daily. Mr 5.0 is really the only mod I see posting constantly, along with Hammer. Now of course I know people are pretty busy, but its cool to see the administration actively involved in the forums.

Having the custom user message open to all members again would be a nice idea. I think its kinda crummy that it was open for a short period of time, then shut off again.
Mustangbelle306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 04:49 PM   #26
Mr 5 0

Lightbulb Another suggestion

Mustangbelle306:

Yeah, we still do have some post whores on MW, I see it every day, unfortunately, and eliminating the post count would end a lot of that, in my judgement.

I forgot that one you mentioned, my pet peeve; Ridiculously long signatures.

They have to go.

This was a case of: 'We give an inch and they take a mile'. Line after line after line including every little thing ever done to the car - ncluding the oil used - is not what constitutes a 'signature'.

Neither does a huge graphic.

Dan McClain has a good example of a reasonable signature and he has as much if not more mods on his '91 Mustang GT than 99% of our members. Unfortunately, the urge to list every nut and bolt on their car seems to overcome some folks and then we have the 'future mods' and on and on it goes.

Dan:

I don't care how you do it but please attempt to find a way to force signatures to be of a reasonable length.

Thanks.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 08:37 PM   #27
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

I take back my eariler comment After posting tonight, I see the hoe problem heheheheh

I place another vote for the retarded signatures! I don't need to know what plug wires you have Actually...I'd rather have that then something that takes up 1/4 of the entire thread page.
Old 07-11-2002, 08:53 PM   #28
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Getting rid of the post count would be a great idea, I hate the people that post just to rack up another post, Its really annoying.

There are too many post whores on here. Post whoring is most frequent in the Blue Oval Lounge.

I would like to see something like the top 150 time slips.

A "Smack Talk" Forum would be too cool, It would free up the other forums of alot of B.S.........Example if someone wanted to start a thread 4.6's are turds.....Instead of it being posted in the Blue Oval Lounge it could be posted in the Smack talk forum.

There is only one persons sig. that I think is too long so to me it is a non-issue.

Power adders forum would be great Exgmguy would be perfect to moderate it. JMO

Later.
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 08:57 PM   #29
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mustangbelle306
I take back my eariler comment After posting tonight, I see the hoe problem heheheheh

I place another vote for the retarded signatures! I don't need to know what plug wires you have
Hmmm.....Your sig is pretty detailed Know what Im say'n...
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 12:54 AM   #30
joe4speed
He said Member...heh, heh

They took away the post count on quite a few other forums for a while, and it made NO difference. Wherever you go, people are going to BS.... it is the lounge, BTW in case you hadn't noticed. If ya want it off, I won't complain, but who really cares??????
( I know you'll want to include me in your post ***** category, but if you read the boards, the only time I ever mention post counts, is just a little fun Crazy Horse and I play, and at 3 posts a day, I'm hardly a ho!)
Old 07-12-2002, 06:11 PM   #31
Rev
Registered Member

Default Sig length

I thought that the signature length issue was addressed a long time ago. There was a time when sig length was limited to 4 lines. I shortened mine to comply with those guidelines. Seems like that rule just "went away" at some point, probably with some previous revision of the site. I guess my idea is " don't throw the baby out with the bath water" when the site is revised. It's so good now, please don't let us lose "the good parts" when the changes are made. Accolades for the way it is now.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 07:08 PM   #32
Mr 5 0

Lightbulb Suggestions

joe

I care about junk posts because I'm the forum administrator and I want to keep the boards useful and uncluttered with posts that waste people's time and have no point at all.

I've seen threads started because the member reached a certain number on his post count so the count certainly does matter to some folks here. Too much in some cases.

Maybe by no longer having a running post count it will cool the urge to post anything to add to that count. Maybe not - but I suspect I'm correct here.

I don't care how much someone posts or how long a post is (ahem) but posting a string of LOL's and silly one-liners back and forth are unnecessary if the only point is to reach some golden number on a post counter.

As for sigs, that's a long-running problem. I spend a lot of time on these forums and I've seen 15 - 20 lines or more of mods listed, including plugs used, oil used, and a lot of other useless information that no one cares about but is listed with every single post that member makes. It's out of hand in some cases. The giant photos and graphics are overdone, too, in some cases.

This is simply my opinion of course and Dan will do as he pleases as well as what is feasible. It's his call, not mine, but these are my observations based on what I've seen over the past year or so. Others have other opinions. So be it.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:47 PM   #33
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0

Hmmm.....Your sig is pretty detailed Know what Im say'n...
Actually, no, I don't know what you're sayin'.

My sig is the exact same length as yours, and I don't think I'm overdoing it either. I didn't even mention ANY exterior modifications, nor my wheels, tires, seats etc etc etc... I wouldn't even mind a sig a few lines longer than mine, I mean more of the FUTURE MODS = new engine, paint job, and so on...
Old 07-12-2002, 07:54 PM   #34
Rev
Registered Member

Default Smack

And this is why we need the "Smack Talk Forum"? So we can watch the fights? Let's leave out the smilies on that one though. Let the games begin (joke).

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Old 07-12-2002, 07:58 PM   #35
Mustangbelle306
Yay for Chickys

Default Re: Smack

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev
And this is why we need the "Smack Talk Forum"? So we can watch the fights? Let's leave out the smilies on that one though. Let the games begin (joke).

Rev
But Rev, smilies could make it all the more fun Imagine all the possibilities...

:flipsbird:
:biatchsmack:
:kickbutt:
:choke:
:insultmother:
: pointfingers:

For some reason, I don't think Dan will be using this suggestion!
Old 07-12-2002, 08:29 PM   #36
Rev
Registered Member

Default Awe heck!

Oops! Is this a "post ho" post? What's my count now?

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 07-12-2002 at 09:07 PM..
Old 07-12-2002, 09:58 PM   #37
cad614

Before I begin I must mention that I frequent very few other areas of this site other than the forums. That being said here are my thoughts.

I think the Articles section should get revamped with new articles and cleaned out of all of the obsolete sections (the last event was in '01). I could also see removing the Chat Room, Classifieds, and Girls Can Too sections. Obviously, the Chat Room is rarely used and I doubt many members would object to, or notice, it's absence. The Classifieds would be better suited to the message forums where listings could be sifted through much faster and with greater ease. The Girls Can Too section has started to feel stale, in my opinion. Other than the "Mare of the Month" and "Stang Stud", there is very seldom anything new to be found there. I in no way intend to offend Nicole or any of the ladies that have participated in that section, or wish to remove their message board, I just would like to see the content updated in more regular intervals. The same would apply to the Projects section.

I would love to see a more complete site history with pictures of the various site designs including information on the moderators and how they came to be. Speaking of history, I kind of miss Piston Pete.

As for the forums, I can think of few changes. Smiles would be nice, but I find that the img code to be enough when I need to show an extra emotion. Post counts are not necessary, and like Mr. 5.0 has stated, could help to elliminate some of the meaningless posts. I feel a power adder forum could help bring additional traffic to the site, but if I recall there was a thread about this very issue and it was voted down. A spell check would be a very welcome addition as well.

It's great the way it is, and I trust with you at the wheel it will continue to be so. Great job Dan!

'95 GT Convertible
cad614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 10:19 PM   #38
PKRWUD

Well, I must admit, I'm really kinda surprised. I sincerely hope and urge that the post count and the registered date remain. I can't believe some people are this worked up over getting rid of the post count. I can understand Jim, because it is his highly paid job to over see things, and the silly threads that do exist are probably annoying to anyone who didn't become part of them. But I have recently discovered that they are alot of fun, too, and i'm sorry, but I like having fun sometimes. I didn't even know the top 25 list existed until TNT showed it to me when she was here a month ago. As it turns out, I'm #2 on that list, but over 3000 of my 5000+ posts were made in the tech forums, helping other people. I honestly can't ever remember posting a thread in the tech forums where I was asking for help, I just go there to help other people. Alot. Does that make me a post ho? It must because I'm #2 on the list. Sure, in the past month, I have spent equal time in the BOL, and it's been fun. I don't think anyone is really leaving short, simple posts solely to boost their count. C'mon, guys, get real. There may have been a few, every few months, but the member always grows tired of being laughed at, and stops. I really think we are old enough to police ourselves when it comes to being a post ho. It's not like MW gives out prizes for reaching certain levels.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty damn proud of my post count because I know that the majority of them helped somebody. Is that bad? Maybe I should follow Kell's lead and go away for a while. No offense, but I'm not hanging out here for the pay, the prizes, or trying to win some car. I'm here because this site is made up of some really good people, and because no matter how many times I tell people their throttle has to be blocked open for a compression test, someone always forgets.

This past month or so has actually been the most fun I've had on MW, and mostly for the fun, rapid fire threads that develop in BOL. They have nothing to do with each member's post count, and taking the count away won't stop them. At least I sure hope not.

This is a great site. Why do any of you really care if the number of times a person has taken the time to post or reply is listed under their name? I'll tell you why it helps me. I am really, really bad with names. I figure I have helped over 400 different members on this site, some of them more than once. When there are so many similar names, a post count and registered date help ME figure out who they are. I hate having to always ask people to tell me their vehicle history again because I don't realize it's the same guy I helped out 5 months ago. It also says something about a members credibility. High post counts don't always mean that person is right all the time, but it does mean they care enough to be here alot, and that in itself becomes educational, so someone with a 1500 count has a little more credibility than someone with 17. That may not always be accurate, but it's a good item to measure with.

Having my post count there helps me sometimes too. I can't tell you what a major pain in the a$s it used to be to have to prove my worth over and over again to people just because they didn't know me, or because they were new. No offense, but you're getting some quality help from me for free, don't ask me to walk on water, too. But I have noticed that as my count got higher, more people who otherwise didn't know me treated me with respect, and dammit, I think I deserve that sometimes. Today alone, while MW was down, I received 13 emails from 9 different members asking for varying degrees of help. They didn't know what else to do because MW was down. I don't mind that, most of the time, and I'm not asking for those to be added to my count, but at least leave it there. Some people are very proud of their count. Not because they have reached a new level, like a video game, but because it means something to them to have contributed and shared with such special friends so many times.

Hell, I don't know, maybe I just need to go out and get more of a life.

~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 10:29 PM   #39
Rev
Registered Member

To heck with your post count and your vaunted advice PKRWUD. Now if you just had a decent v***** , then you would be a good "post ho".

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 07-13-2002 at 01:04 PM..
Old 07-12-2002, 10:54 PM   #40
Mr 5 0

Smile Changes

PKRWUD:

You make some interesting points Chris and this is what Dan is seeking so it's all good.

I still think registration dates and post counts are unnecessary but I have a feeling they'll remain all the same.

We'll soon find out.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote