MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-11-2004, 12:01 PM   #1
snub88
Registered Member

Default Read This Please

im looking at a 4 cyl 89 mustang is it a fast car to start out with i realy want a v8 5.0 but i dont have that kind of money and do you think it will beat a 84 celica supra v6 please respond
snub88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:04 PM   #2
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

If you buy a 4 banger stang you will lose to everything from mini vans to dump trucks.

I wouldnt feel confident telling you that a 4 cylinder stang could beat anything. They run a 20 in the 1/4
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:21 PM   #3
snub88
Registered Member

Default ..

so the 84 supra would rape it in the 1/4 mile
snub88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:53 PM   #4
SMOKE
Old School ROUSH

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
If you buy a 4 banger stang you will lose to everything from mini vans to dump trucks.

I wouldnt feel confident telling you that a 4 cylinder stang could beat anything. They run a 20 in the 1/4
LOL!!!!!

SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
Swarzkopf1
Registered Member

Default Yup...

They are slower than molasses on a cold winter's day. I've got one in my little Ford fleet (95 Mustang GT, 96 Thunderbird LX 4.6, and 93 Mustang LX). It's been a trooper (123,000 miles) and gets killer gas mileage, but like I said, it's slower than slow.

In fact, it finally started acting up yesterday. The engine started hesistating big time and shaking, seemingly out of balance, at lower RPMs while in drive. Happened all of a sudden. Once I get it to 3000, it smooths out and accelerates like normal. Now I have to devote time to fixing the 4banger which was allocated previously to modifying the 8.
Swarzkopf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:26 PM   #6
Capri306

Default Re: ..

Quote:
Originally posted by snub88
so the 84 supra would rape it in the 1/4 mile
More than likely, unless he takes a couple of spark plug wires off. I mean no offense, but if you think an '89 4-popper is fast, you need to drive some more cars, my friend.

You might want to save your $$$ and wait to buy a Mustang with a V8 in it already, whether it be a 5.0 or 4.6 is up to you and what kind of money you want to put into it. Experience shows that the venerable 5.0 is cheaper to make fast, but I'd go 4.6/5.4 if I could afford it. As the old saying goes, "how fast do you want to spend?" Don't let this deter you, though. It does cost moola to have a decently-fast car, but the rewards are well worth it.

Personally -- and quite truthfully -- I couldn't put a price on my own '87 Notchback. Sure, it's sucking not being able to drive it this summer because I blew the transmission. However, having it and driving it the past four or five years has been awesome. Once I realized that there's always going to be someone out there faster than you, no matter what, it's still great having a V8-powered legend that'd spank most any car driving off a dealer's lot. BTW, I'm building a 351W/408 stroker and it's really NOT as expensive as some people say.

Swarzkopf1: Check the timing belt, and the crank-to-cam timing marks. I had the exact same problem once upon a time...but I know what you mean about fixing it!

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 03:31 PM   #7
Swarzkopf1
Registered Member

Default Go ahead...

if you try racing a Supra in a n/a 2.3L Mustang,
Old 08-12-2004, 09:21 AM   #8
GodStang
College Stanger

You can pick up a decent 5.0 for less than $3000. You may want to save your money. You will be happy if you do.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:43 AM   #9
Swarzkopf1
Registered Member

Default !!

Quote:
Swarzkopf1: Check the timing belt, and the crank-to-cam timing marks. I had the exact same problem once upon a time...but I know what you mean about fixing it!
I had missed this response. Thanks Capri306.

I believe I fixed it though- strangely enough, seems to have been the mass air sensor sending extremely deranged singals to the EEC. I unplugged the MAF and the car would drive much better, though it still hesistated and was down on power compared to before the problem. I replaced the MAF with a junkyard piece yesterday and the car is driving like new again.

It's my wife's car, and I'm REALLY glad it's fixed and out of the way. Now I can get back to bolting stuff on to my 5.0.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:47 PM   #10
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Man, you guys got me rolling here. That pic is funny as hell. I used to have a 2.3L mustang. It now has a 302 carbed motor in it. I did the swap for $600, total. But, that's cause it all came out of my 89 gt which has a 351 in it now. I give the little 2.3 some credit, I could roast the shit out of the tires in it. It is like everyone else said. Slower than slow. And it was a 5 speed car. Still is a 5 speed too. Trust me, save your money, buy a v8 car to start with. You won't regret it. Spend about $3k- $4k and put another $300 on top of that (GEARS) and you will have one tough street rod.