MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-07-2001, 01:35 AM   #1
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Post Think I've made up my mind about next Hot Rod!

Thank you everyone for your input on what my next Hot Rod I build should be.

I even tossed around trying to find a 67-70 Cougar (HARD AS HELL TO FIND). I've narrowed my choices down to 64-65 Falcon hardtop, 64 Fairlane.

I'm going to go the small block route. I'm not going to use the 289 I built up thats sitting in my garage (I'll save that for Diane if the motor ever goes up) But I'm going to build a 351 for my next project.

I like the idea of building my own Thuderbolt type Fairlane, but the cost and FE parts are out of my wallet range (Might be diffrent in 5 years though).

I figured a 2400 lb car (64-65 Falcon) with about a 500 Horse power 351 would be enought to blow the doors off of just about anything on the street.

I decided against the sleeper aproach, maybe next time I'll go that way. But now I'm at the drawing board, drawing up sketches and color shemes, I've been writing up parts combinations to see what makes the most sense, I dont have much figured out yet, but I know its gonna have a 351, with a manual tranny. And ITS GONNA BE RED!!!!!RED RED RED.

I'm going to go the nostalgic way, no Shiny new fancy shmancy chrome dodad rims, no HUGE 19 inch rims and low profile tires. No electric gauge set, no fuel injection (although..Hmmmm....Nah.). No super body molded leather, plush designer interior. NO SPOILERS AND BODY EFFECTS (even though they dont make them for the Falcon).

I'll keep you all posted. I'm going to start looking through the local auto traders and classifieds...

I'm thinking 64 Falcon the way Shelby would of made one if he did, but a dragster, not road course car.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. And to many others to list
2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle, 40 series Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax
64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 02:39 AM   #2
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Sweet!!!! Thank you Merc, for carrying on the 60's vintage drag race style. Don't forget the teardrop hood scoop and the bird emblems. One day I'm going to build one, but right now I have no cash. Although if I ever see a 64 Fairlane for sale and they have it, it's mine! Screw the sleeper crap! If it has 500 hp, aint nuthin gonna beat it!

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 02:45 AM   #3
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Yo Merc, check this site, you'll love it http://www.angelfire.com/hi/427fairlane/

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 09:50 AM   #4
PGkelly
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smokedchevy:
Sweet!!!! Thank you Merc, for carrying on the 60's vintage drag race style. Don't forget the teardrop hood scoop and the bird emblems. One day I'm going to build one, but right now I have no cash. Although if I ever see a 64 Fairlane for sale and they have it, it's mine! Screw the sleeper crap! If it has 500 hp, aint nuthin gonna beat it!
yeah, nothing will beat it, but nothing will want to race it either! if it has 500hp, but looks like a POS, everyone will want to race it, and when they do, they will lose and be humiliated!

------------------
If it ain't broke, make it go faster

AOL: MCVillain45
PGkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 10:11 AM   #5
69fastback
IRAQ VET

Nice choice on the Falcon. I love those 64s. That sounds like it will be one bada$$ car. If i ever get done with the mustang I would luv to do a falcon too.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet: tons of mods.
97 f-150 5.4 xlt mark III
BUCKLE UP. SUCK IT IN.
Objects in the mirror are about to disappear...
QUICKLY!!!!!!

69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 12:13 PM   #6
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Okay, I've worked out a few more details in my sleep, hey thats what dreams are for.

Serouisly though, I had a dream last night about the car I wanna build, it was a 64 Falcon hardtop, but instead of bieng my trademark color, RED, it was black, and it was bueatifull. SO that changed, its going to be black with a red interior.

I sat in it and saw the layout of the guages, the brands, and the kind. It had a T-10 in it. There was one bad a$$ 351 under the hood with Victor Intake, Holley double pumper ( I have to figure out cam specs and carb CFM now) I got all kinds of little details from my dream. I know this sounds strange, but I am.

Now I just need to find one and start taking measurements, and finding parts.

Now I have a question for you all. I know Stock Ford heads suck. Period. But if I do alot of porting, cc'ing, shaving, like I did my 289 heads, will they flow enough for a Victor Jr and a wild cam? I pretty much already know the answer but I just want to see if anyones got a 351 thats thumpin, but using stock heads.

Because trying to figure out what brand Alinumum head (Hell I'll settle for a high performance cast iron set) can be a BIG TIME HEAD ACHE. And the price is a pocket burner. Think I'll have to settle for Hi performance cast iron sets.

There were NO power adders on the car in my dreams, so I'll be taking the NO nitrouis and NO forced indution approach, although the car had a Boss 9 hood scoop with functional ram air. It was bad, had the little Tiger Shark (WWII aircraft) shark mout on the sides of the scoop. Side pipes like the old Dodge 340 Challenger TA sixpacks had. OH man, I cant wait to get started, I'll go parts hunting today.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. And to many others to list
2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle, 40 series Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax
64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe.
Old 07-07-2001, 12:28 PM   #7
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Hell yeah Merc!!!!!

That sounds bad a$$! Can't wait to see it. I am going to try and by my cousins 69 Shelby GT 350 from him when i move up north. Tha damn thing has been sitting in a garage for about 10 years now, just rotting away. IT WILL BE MINE!! When i get it done, we'll go cruising in the Falcon and GT! TIGHT!!

Light Em Up!!

------------------
My 87 GT....Marbles
AIM: Marbles87Fox
Light Em Up!!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 04:27 PM   #8
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

A 69 Shelby GT 350 sitting, rotting away! Isnt it a sin to let cars like that rott. I hope you get it soon and save it.

At first I didnt like that body style, but after seeing a few, it really grew on me and I think there sweat lookin cars.

My goal for the 351 is 500 HP, now I gotta figure out the combination to get 500 Streetable Horsepower without blowers, turbos, or nitrouis, and do it without spending big big wads of cash.

I'm also going to have to learn welding now, so I can put my own roll cage and subframes on.

Gotta go now, its cruise time on cruise night.
Old 07-07-2001, 06:22 PM   #9
rbatson

Damn Mercury, I've always wanted a 68 cougar and now you got me thinking of that.. maybe I should get one..

500hp out of a 351, huh? well, aggressive cam, high flow heads and 11.5:1 compression and I believe you will be on your way..
Good luck bro..