MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 07:45 AM   #1
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default I'm really pissed now!

Here's the deal:

I saw this ad in the classifieds for a mustang street/strip car that was being part out. I noticed, on the list, was an 8.8 rearend that was spooled, 31 spline axles, 4:10's and C-clips.
I made an offer for $300. He responds back and says "$350 and it's a deal". Fine..I say "ok" thinking that now it's mine.
He emails back the next day and says someone local offered him $400 for it and if I can match that or not.
Knowing that it's still well worth it, I say "ok..I'll go $400 but that's it"
I made several attempts to make arrangements to go pick it up but each time he comes up with an excuse why I can't come.
On Sunday, he writes and says "the rear will be out of the car in a few hours..if you want to come for it then it's ok"
I told him it was too late to go then but asked if Monday would work and he says "yes, that will be ok"
Keep in mind that this is a 3hr. drive for me
I call my buddy who has a truck and tell him it's "on" for Monday and we make arrangements to go early Monday(today) to go get this rear.
Around midnight Sunday, before I went to bed, I check my email, as usual, only to find that this guy with the rear is telling me that "he might have somone that wants to buy the whole chassis with the rearend" and he's going to have to hold off on selling the rear to me.
I hit the f**king roof!!!! I was PISSED OFF big time!!!
Now....I have to call my friend in the middle of the night and tell him that it's off again.
I wrote that guy back telling him he could keep his F**king rear!
I am so glad I checked my email before bed. If I would have drove all that way today only to find he wouldn't sell it.......I don't know what would have happened but I'm sure it wouldn't have been pretty.
Is it just me or what but if you mutually agree on a price for something, shouldn't it be considered SOLD at that point?

If anyone has or knows someone that has an 8.8 rearend for a mustang, let me know.
I have cash waiting and am willing to drive a few hours for one.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:24 AM   #2
BLACK85GT
Registered Member

I would not want to buy anything from this guy anyway. It sounds like he is a liar. Who knows what else he is hiding from you about the rear end.
Thats why i Just bought a brand new 8.8 with 3:73 FMS. $699. No hassles., no driving 3 hours.
5.0, Holley heads, 1.7 Scorp Rockers, Stealth intake, Holley 600 carb, Holley Mech. Fuel pump, MSD 6Digital, MSD distributor, Hotchkis upper/lower rear control arms, FMS B Springs, 3:73 (8.8) rear.
Production # 9,377
Old 09-06-2004, 11:06 AM   #3
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb Living and learning, buying and selling

82 GT:

Buying used parts long-distance is always risky.

The seller is obviously just trying to get the best deal for his setup but he is also screwing around with you in the process. Long-distance buying also loses the opportunity for you, the buyer, to make a cash offer on-the-spot and take away your merchandise. In a long-distance sale the seller can keep jacking up the price - as happened to you...from $300. to $400....and/or make a tentative deal with you but when a better deal comes along he can still blow you off, as you haven't given him a DP or made a firm deal. Communication between buyer and seller, even with e-mail and cell phones, can still mess you up, as almost happened to you with the late-night e-mail that basically canceled the deal. I know that long-distance parts buying is sometime a necessity when you're working on an older car (been there, done that) but it can still be a hassle and a disappointment and should be avoided as much as possible.

I say: live and learn. Buying new parts by mail-order is risky enough - but used? Not worth the hassle in most cases unless absolutely, positively necessary, which is rare.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:09 PM   #4
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

People like that need their ass beat for jacking around. It has also been my experience that when a seller keeps screwing around, that the product usually is not up to par either.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:44 PM   #5
82 GT
Import Slayer

I don't think there ever was "another buyer". I think he was just trying to jack the price up.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:04 PM   #6
CupCake
Registered Member

Smile Live and learn:

Indeed. People like that need to be beaten. We had a smiliar experience and a pretty bad one. My husband bought a Mercury Cougar, supercharged. He drove all the way to Ohio because that was the only one he could find, the car looked and drove great, until all the rust that was underneath the car started to show up. The guy knew it was all like that and he got it fixed, never said anything when we asked about the rust, huge lie, we loved the car but it was too much money to get all that rust fixed. Live and learn, I guess, that money could have been used to get the same car somewhere else, but Oh well!
Old 09-07-2004, 10:05 PM   #7
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

I wonder if he was affiliated with AMP performance. LOL!!
Old 09-07-2004, 10:12 PM   #8
82 GT
Import Slayer

LOL.....that's funny!!
Old 09-08-2004, 08:52 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

When you agree on a deal, that's it. I agree that you definitely don't want to do business with the guy, anyway. He's obviously shady.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:23 AM   #10
PowerSlideGT
Registered Member

Yea, people in this world are pretty messed up. Im not sure how it is where you are from. But in oklahoma that would have been a major beaten, no questions asked. Sorry about your rear end experiance. Thats every ones night mare.
1988 mustang gt t-top svo alum. Heads, comp cam rockers, e303 cam, Mass air, BBK cold air induction, BBK throttle body, gt-40 intake 1 inch spacer, Alum. drive shaft, world class 5 speed, 3.55 gear rear end, drag front springs.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:13 PM   #11
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally posted by PowerSlideGT
Yea, people in this world are pretty messed up. Im not sure how it is where you are from. But in oklahoma that would have been a major beaten, no questions asked.
It's the same way here but he wasn't worth the 3 hr. drive for.
Believe me...it was considered.
Besides, sitting in a New Jersey jail wouldn't have helped me get a rearend.....and for how mad I was......I would have been in jail.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:53 AM   #12
Capri306

You guys should seriously consider the ramifications of posting business like this on the message boards before posting of it. Any business between two parties should stay there; please keep it off the boards and restrict it to phone calls, emails, etc. Believe me, I understand your angst(s?).

I'm closing this off before it gets ugly, as I see no point in keeping it open.

1979 Mercury Capri
1987 5.0L Mustang LX Notchback
1993 5.8L Eddie Bauer Bronco
Closed Thread