MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-24-2004, 09:44 PM   #1
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Default Jobs in Iraq?

What's the deal with the Iraqi Job Fair I keep hearing about? I did a quick search and found countless job offers for people to make 100K plus a year, but what is the real deal? What is the Catch? OK, outside of being in Iraq during a War, and the whole kidnapping thing, what is the catch? Is this crap for real or is it one of those you get hired and see only a small portion of the pay?

I'm having a real problem trying to figure this out. Obviously the parent companies make Multi-Millions, and so what if they pay out a couple million to all the employees, right? Hmm......what is the deal here, what am I missing? OK, let's say they're after the oil....is that it? Is that the worst? Seriously, what is the freakin catch here? What if you get kidnapped?

Help me out here.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:02 PM   #2
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

i have heard about these job's too man, take my woerd for it, you dont want to go there, it's the a--hole of the world, it's why i'm so far- 30 percent disabled, let alone letting some idiot cut your head off on t v, the place is a total ghetto, it's why they have nothing better to do than just kill other people, is money worth your life?, NOT!!!!!!

04 sonic blue v - six my beater
89 rs camaro iroc turbo hood, other stuff, my wifes ride
84 lx stang cammed up 289 hi po, etc
65 falcon, maybe by the year 2020.

black 00gt, gone but never forgotten.

R H C- member # 1
o.b.c. da prez- member # 1 if your under 40 dont ask.
goodbye for now odie,r.i.p. 11-27-03
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:06 PM   #3
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

It is a real deal.

If your out of country for more a year, your earnings are tax free.

I looked into going, purhaps if I were still single I might.

The rate (8 months ago) for training iraqi police officers was 120K plus. (Unspecified Corporation) by Gov contract.

Didn't seem that bad of a deal until the details were looked into. Then it got scary.

If your qualified, you can make some cash whatever the job may be. Of course you may lose your head making all that money. Which would suc.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:10 PM   #4
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mustangII460
It is a real deal.

If your out of country for more a year, your earnings are tax free.

I looked into going, purhaps if I were still single I might.

The rate (8 months ago) for training iraqi police officers was 120K plus. (Unspecified Corporation) by Gov contract.

Didn't seem that bad of a deal until the details were looked into. Then it got scary.

If your qualified, you can make some cash whatever the job may be. Of course you may lose your head making all that money. Which would suc.
and to think we did it for a helmet, a pos m-16 & the crap mre's & the lil military pay, but, we had them reeling in 91 , hey, kicked thier a-- in one day. proud to be a lifetime member of the diabled american vet's.

R H C- member # 1
Old 08-25-2004, 06:21 PM   #5
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Ok....so the worst thing that could happen to you is you get dead, one way or another. We all have to die sometime. Why not have the entire USofA mourn for you and maybe get another war kicked off in your memory? Ha! Like that would ever happen.

Hell, for the little bit of danger there is, I'd go in a heart beat, and while I'm there maybe I could get in touch with my old unit and make sure that they are doing their job right. And I promiss
that I will never be taken hostage. I might be killed, but I'll never be taken hostage. Given the chance I'd be over there right now kicking someone's ass, and gettting back as many hostages, POW's, or whatever the case may be. A friend of mine told me yesterday, when we were talking about this subject, that I am just talking Sh*t and if it came down to it I'd be in the fetal possition crying like a little girl.

I about beat his arse. I admit I'm a 5'8" 135# little nobody, and have been for the longest time. I was always the guy that got picked on the first few days of school. I always had to fight somebody, or get my teeth kicked down my throat. I will avoid a confrontation quicker than a draft dodger in the late '60's, but when I have to turn it on, sorry pal, somebody's getting hurt. As long as it ain't me.

Hey, who put this soap box in here? A bit off subject, but ok.

Anyway, for me, going to Iraq and helping rebuild for a year and getting paid $100K or more, would solve quite a few problems.

Let the pondering begin...............
Old 08-25-2004, 08:16 PM   #6
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Its really dangerous. My economics teacher that I had last semester said he knew a guy that did it. Guy was paid 100k tax free to drive a oil truck.

However apparently he was shot at almost every day and one day he found an unexploded RPG round in the side of his truck.
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:01 PM   #7
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

it's your call bro, i know i'm dying slowly, but surely from the 91 crap, was it worth it??? i guess so, i signed the paper's. would i go again-- H--L no, i have no regret's, i gave my country 12 years of my life, so be it.

R H C- member # 1
Old 08-25-2004, 11:57 PM   #8
bmxmon
Registered Member

What happens if they just knocked you out then took you hostage, you really couldnt help that.......
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:05 PM   #9
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Quote:
What happens if they just knocked you out then took you hostage, you really couldnt help that.......
In that case, as macho as is sounds, when I come to my senses, all Heck would break loose. Yeah, I'll be dead, but they'd get the overall message.

"Don't mess with US."

Quote:
it's your call bro, i know i'm dying slowly, but surely from the 91 crap, was it worth it??? i guess so, i signed the paper's. would i go again-- H--L no, i have no regret's, i gave my country 12 years of my life, so be it.
Not to make light of your situation, but we are all dying slowly everyday. We are all dead men, we just don't know it yet. The only control we have over death is how we die. I, for one, choose to go out with Honor. If there is such a thing. If dying in Iraq at the hands of a terrorist organization is my destinty, the I will embrace it with every ounce of courage that I posses(sp?). YOu only get to die once, why not make it mean something?

There's that damn soapbox again. Who keeps putting it in here? I swear I can't take y'all anywhere!

Later.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:15 PM   #10
1989GT
Registered Member

Yeah it's the real deal. I know of a few people that have done it. I talked to a EOD civilian contractor and he was making a lot of money. Infact a guy who just got out is over there working for KBR...doing food service making 6 digits. And hell he used to be an apache guy. But anyway getting shot at is just part of the job. You just have to decide whether or not the money is worth it. I know that we all get shot at for a hell of a lot less money than the civilians are making.
-Ryan

00GT, Vortech S-Trim, Steeda Boost Pipe, C&L intake, Mac off-road H-pipe, Flowmasters, B&M Ripper shifter, Eibach Sportline springs, Koni Struts/shocks, MM full length subframe connectors, Cobra brakes, 3.73's.
My Car Domain Page
1989GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 12:49 AM   #11
CupCake
Registered Member

Smile Way of Support:

I think that more important then the money, is the support that we can give to the people over there. I mean $100k is not bad at all, but I think if I ever made a choice of going over there it will be because I want to be loyal to my country and I want to help rebuild a nation that has a lot of potential.

By the way, I am new in the board, I have a V6 mustang, have not done anything to my baby yet but I will, I wanted to be able to meet people that like mustangs. I also want to learn more about my car.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:36 AM   #12
Molly
Registered Member

Hi y'all. I've was around a long time ago and vanished into the GM realm, but now I'm back. As for the job thing. I'm currently 21 and working in Afghanistan as a contractor in communications. I make $100K a year and 80K of it is tax free. It's the real deal, the catch is the danger and the living conditions really aren't very good. You have to be willing to be away from home, family, friends, and loved ones. It's paying for my habits though

Molly

'03 Mustang Cobra black
'93 Mustang Cobra black
'04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited metalic black
'03 Honda S2000 silver
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 02:54 AM   #13
MEDIK418
Registered Member

A good freind of mine, Billy Hoke went to Iraq to help build power plants. He was a Paramedic and personnel safety rep for the company he worked for. I worked with him as a medik and knew few people with the upbeat attitude he had. I guess he decided to go for the gold and went to the land of sand and bugs. Bill was in the third SUV that got blown up last year when 13 contractors got killed. Bill probably never knew what hit him but his wife and kids do.

For me, it's just not worth it. I've got a son over there and he has instructions to not come out after dark or when there's things goin on that don't need to be goin on. I asked his commander if he could just teach arts and crafts to blind kids and he told me that would be ok. One of the kids who graduated with the oldest son was in that Bradley that found a roadside bomb two days ago. The one we blew up with a rocket to keep the weapons from reaching bad folks? He's ok. . . .got a free flight to Germany to tend to a sore leg. He'll be back though. . .for a lot less than a hundred grand. Ya gott love these kids.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:04 AM   #14
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Hey. . .you guys ever hear of the oil field? Right now the drilling companies are hurting for guys to work the rigs. Most of the companies are working over 80 percent of their rigs and begging for help. Yeah, it's a little riskier than McDonalds but $16 - $19.00 an hour ain't nothing to sneeze at either. And those are Texas wages. And in case you didn't hear. . .there's another oil and gas boom started about a year ago and it's going to last a while this time. Hole completion bonuses of $500+ every two weeks or so.

If I was a younger feller. . . . .
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:13 PM   #15
Mach 1
Registered Member

Where can one find out information on these jobs? Ive been looking to quit my job, just might be the incentive I need....
RHC member #142
Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:44 PM   #16
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

I've applied to several different companies. Look on Monster.com. And if anyone on here can hook me up with a job over there, please do. Later.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:01 PM   #17
Mach 1
Registered Member

what do you do with your house if your gone for a year?
RHC member #142
Old 09-17-2004, 10:10 PM   #18
induction
The Brit!

Wanna travel and make some money? Then come to England. work in a factory doing little of nothing at Honda or BMW plants ect. , make around nine pound fifty to start( thats aroung $17.00 US Dolars. Live in a clean flat( apartment), somewhat deacent food( better if you make it yourself),and not get shot at. Return to the states and exchange your Pounds into Dollars.
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 03:19 AM   #19
Mach 1
Registered Member

$100K/year is a far cry from $17/hour.
RHC member #142
Old 09-19-2004, 01:29 AM   #20
MEDIK418
Registered Member

Sorry I took so long to answer. H&P drilling, out of Tulsa, Oklahoma is one company. It is one of the oldest drilling companies in the country and are hiring. Unit Drilling out of Elk City, recently took over Spradlin drilling and have expanded their base of operations recently. If you don't mind working two weeks on and two weeks off, H&P has openings in Colorado. Their having a tough time keeping hands who want to stay away from home for 2 weeks at a time. There are many more drillers who are poking holes in anything that might hold gas right now and most are hiring. You better want to work though. It's hard, wet and in the winter, bitterly cold work but it doea pay well. Hole completion bonuses in the 500 dollar range every two to three weeks. Most have good benefits. You'll earn your money though, it ain't 7/11.
Don't waste time on these oil field employment servioces that populate the internet. All they do is get you sucked into paying them most of your money. Go to the drillers and look for the work. If you don't mind being called the "worm" for a while at first, it'll pay off later.