MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Poll: What to do?
Poll Options
What to do?

Old 04-06-2002, 09:49 PM   #1
Five0
Registered Member

Default To trade or not to trade?

I have a question and would like your opinion on this.

I know someone who has a mustang with a 377 stroker that runs low 11's on the motor.
It has 13 to 1 compression, ported canfield heads with 205 intake valves, an 1150 cfm carb, 4340 forged internals, and is set up for a big shot of nitrous.
He wants to trade me for my motor because he is tired of not being able to drive it on the street.
Me I just bought a daily driver so I will not be doind any street driving anyway but would like to be able to if I wanted to.

How much trouble would it be to detune it to run on the street on pump gas and around how much would it cost to do? What would I have to change?

Do you think I should do it?

I have a 347 with 4340 forged internals and 10 to 1 compression.

No doubt it would be a lot faster but it would not be a street car any more.
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 10:02 PM   #2
Mustanguy

Thumbs up Build somethun you can drive and enjoy

My thinkin is this,when you build a car,you should be able to go out and enjoy your hard work and time that you dedicated to the particular vehicle.

In your case,with your set-up you have a nice street car already,one you can drive everyday and still kick @zz when you need to
Old 04-07-2002, 08:48 AM   #3
lx mike
Undescribable

I'd keep what i had. 13 to 1 compression ratio would have to be lowered unless you can afford the 110+ octane gas and with a carb that thing will use some gas! also cam might be a bit too much for street driving. what transmission and rear gear does it have??
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 11:05 AM   #4
Five0
Registered Member

Well I have a c-4 with a 3.55 gear. The stall is a 3400 rpm.

I was wondering what would be required to make it run on pump gas and And be a lillte more street friendly.

I was actually thinking about selling my 347 to build a low compression ratio 377 stroker and put a turbo on it.

I am woudering if I should trade with him and change his combo a little or leave it the way it is and just run it at the track or just sell what I have and built the combo that I want or stay with the motor I have.

I could probably talk him in to letting me keep my heads and him keeping his and that would help the compression ratio a little. He said he had the heads shaves a lot to raise the compression.

He said he thinks with my 58 cc heads the compression ratio would be around 11 to 1. I think he said his heads were like 43 cc or something like that. Would that change the compression ratio that much?
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Old 04-07-2002, 11:29 AM   #5
lx mike
Undescribable

you have to decide what you want. if you buy his you will have to change a few thing to run pump gas. i don't know how much your heads would drop the compression ratio. that quite a bit of difference and would drop it but how much i couldn't say. there must be a formula somewhere or maybe pkrwud will look in and he should know or know where to find the answer.

I say build the combo the way you want.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 01:33 PM   #6
Five0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKRWUD
Oh ye with the best birthday on Earth
What do you think.
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX

Old 04-08-2002, 06:05 AM   #7
Five0
Registered Member

TTT
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX

Old 04-11-2002, 07:08 PM   #8
PKRWUD

Sorry, I've been real busy, and away from my Mac for a week. Going from a combustion chamber size of 43cc to 58cc would decrease the compression by nearly 2 full points, but I wouldn't advise it. The rest of his combo is designed to work with the higher compression. For example, he's either got a high lift cam with a very short duration, or fly-cut pistons (or both). Does he know which? It will effect your performance. Bottom line: the carb will be too big, the cam won't work as well, the heads would have to be changed, etc. Why? Just build your own. That way you'll know what it's got inside. His probably needs new rings and bearings at the very least, and really wouldn't be worth the effort, IMO. If you want a race car that isn't going to be driven on the street, or at least not without some 110 octane fuel, then trade him. Otherwise, build what you want yourself.

You asked.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 08:09 PM   #9
Five0
Registered Member

Thank you pkrwud. That helped me make up my mind, I will stay with what I have.
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX

Old 04-11-2002, 09:23 PM   #10
PKRWUD

No problem, James.

Wise choice.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote